Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for job hunting?

Advice for job hunting?

Old Feb 16th 2016, 12:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for job hunting?

Originally Posted by username.exe
Dude... I think the 'full stop' button on your keyboard has died. .....
I think that's how he prepared his "clear and concise" résumé.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 1:06 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think that's how he prepared his "clear and concise" résumé.
That covers 'concise', not sure about 'clear'.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Time for me to take my own advice - and that of others. I got canned at the end of last week!
Sorry to hear that Guindalf hope something comes your way soon.

I noticed in another thread that ageism was being discussed (in a joking manner) and just thought I would add here, that at times I have considered getting into a new industry.

I saw a few positions for apprenticeships and thought it would be a good opportunity. with my experience in engineering, my skills would transfer over well (at least in my opinion).but at 30 I guess I may be too old to be considered for an apprenticeship.

Recent update on my position, because no doubt some of you are laying awake at night thinking 'damn I wonder how cheradenine is getting on in his job hunt?'
I had a resume submitted to a company for about a week now, it's one of those online submissions that allows you to tinker with your resume if you wish too. After much editing and inserting of keywords I finally got an email asking if I was interested in an interview so I am happy about that.

I also had a face to face interview yesterday, not sure how well it went. I feel some parts went right and others not so well, enough that I was led in bed last night stewing over it so much, that I got up and went to the gym eventually to run myself to exhaustion.

ah well fingers crossed, hopefully I get it and I will be able to send that 'they took our jobs!' clip from south park to my American friends.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
Dude... I think the 'full stop' button on your keyboard has died.
Hence the quote at the bottom of my submission!!

The formatting all went to hell!!
Old Feb 20th 2016, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
Hence the quote at the bottom of my submission!! The formatting all went to hell!!
I find that happens too. hitting enter a couple of times when paragraphing seems to fix it.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine
I find that happens too. hitting enter a couple of times when paragraphing seems to fix it.
Nope, tried all I can think of, its my work PC, even the IT Tech (spotty oik) couldn't understand the issue!

I blame the US keyboard lol, was it so difficult to put the @ in the same place?

That should have been in the pet peeves sorry
Old Feb 20th 2016, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
Nope, tried all I can think of, its my work PC, even the IT Tech (spotty oik) couldn't understand the issue!

I blame the US keyboard lol, was it so difficult to put the @ in the same place?

That should have been in the pet peeves sorry
The (destruction of) formatting in the 'reply' window has been an issue on BE for some time, and I have yet to fully discern a pattern. It happened to me for a while, then stopped. I use a mixture of IE11, Edge, and Firefox and the problem seems unrelated to browser type (although at times I've seen it happen with one but not the other; just never a solid pattern). For whatever reason, it's stopped affecting me now and I thought it was fixed but clearly not.

But remember that after every post, you can edit for a period of time so the first thing you should always do after posting is review your post and quickly edit it if you see a problem.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The (destruction of) formatting in the 'reply' window has been an issue on BE for some time, and I have yet to fully discern a pattern. It happened to me for a while, then stopped. I use a mixture of IE11, Edge, and Firefox and the problem seems unrelated to browser type (although at times I've seen it happen with one but not the other; just never a solid pattern). For whatever reason, it's stopped affecting me now and I thought it was fixed but clearly not. But remember that after every post, you can edit for a period of time so the first thing you should always do after posting is review your post and quickly edit it if you see a problem.
could it be an OS thing? I got windows 10 then reverted back to 8.1 and the formatting started being funny.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine
could it be an OS thing? I got windows 10 then reverted back to 8.1 and the formatting started being funny.
Nope; I primarily use just one laptop, windows 10, and saw the problem and then saw it disappear. Since it affects multiple browsers, and is intermittent, I suspect the issue relates to however the 'editor' functionality is deployed to the browser. I've noticed, recently, that the editor has become more 'wysiwyg'; in the past, when you highlighted a word and hit the 'B' (bold) icon, it would surround the word with 'tags' something like {b} ... {/b} (can't use the actual square brackets so using curly braces in this example). But now, when I hit the 'B' icon, the text actually shows up as bold text. This looks to me like a local (browser / client side) action, and thus, is being performed on my machine by some mini-editor. It looks like this editor is getting messed up somehow. I wish there was a way to force the editor back to the 'dumb' mode, where tags were used and visible, rather than attempting to show wysiwyg.

In fact, I just saw the icon top right of the editor box that says 'Switch Editor Mode' ... I wonder if that makes any difference. Try (if you are running into this issue) toggling the 'editor mode' using this button.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

I wish there was a way to force the editor back to the 'dumb' mode, where tags were used and visible, rather than attempting to show wysiwyg.
My Profile > Settings & Options > Edit Options > Miscellaneous Options > Message Editor Interface > Standard Editor - Extra Formatting Controls
Old Feb 21st 2016, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

People still use IE?
Old Feb 21st 2016, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
People still use IE?
Some people are forced to. I recently got an email from IT at work promising they would upgrade us from ie8 as soon as they finished testing ie11.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

The (destruction of) formatting in the 'reply' window has been an issue on BE for some time, and I have yet to fully discern a pattern. It happened to me for a while, then stopped. I use a mixture of IE11, Edge, and Firefox and the problem seems unrelated to browser type (although at times I've seen it happen with one but not the other; just never a solid pattern). For whatever reason, it's stopped affecting me now and I thought it was fixed but clearly not.

But remember that after every post, you can edit for a period of time so the first thing you should always do after posting is review your post and quickly edit it if you see a problem.
I use Chrome or Edge at home, they are fine. Work uses IE, I just realised my Base unit was replaced, and that is when my formatting went to poop!

I do check my posts, but when I edit the formatting looks fine, line spacing etc.

I hit save and gawd only knows what happens!

I'm a partial geek and can generally sort issues,but this one continues to annoy!!
Old Feb 21st 2016, 7:36 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Some people are forced to. I recently got an email from IT at work promising they would upgrade us from ie8 as soon as they finished testing ie11.
Until recently we were such on IE9, I was stunned at how many websites (including Google properties) did not support that version. I don't know how you are coping!
Old Feb 21st 2016, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
People still use IE?
Yeah - try working for a financial services company that still stores all its data in a 1970s mainframe. IE seemed relatively modern to us when I was there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.