Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

advice if moving to Florida

advice if moving to Florida

Old Sep 10th 2004, 3:03 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default advice if moving to Florida

do not buy a 2 storey house unless it has storm shutters as I am now seeing how difficult it is to try to board up the top storey windows.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 4:54 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice if moving to Florida

Originally Posted by vegas
do not buy a 2 storey house unless it has storm shutters as I am now seeing how difficult it is to try to board up the top storey windows.
If this thing strolls up past Fort Myers to your doorstep you might not have a 2nd storey ;-)

:scared:
Old Sep 12th 2004, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I have a question, do all brick houses in Fl get knocked about as well?

Old Sep 12th 2004, 1:44 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

you do not get brick built houses in Florida. 2 storey houses are block built to the first floor then the second floor walls are built of wood. The whole wall is then covered with a stucco finish. The only problem with this that i found was that with hurricane francis the rain was being blasted against the walls and coming through as it is only single block. I had a steam cleaner which sucked up about 15 gallons of water off the carpet.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

What is the justification of having wood huts built?

you do not get brick built houses in Florida. 2 storey houses are block built to the first floor then the second floor walls are built of wood. The whole wall is then covered with a stucco finish. The only problem with this that i found was that with hurricane francis the rain was being blasted against the walls and coming through as it is only single block. I had a steam cleaner which sucked up about 15 gallons of water off the carpet.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 4:29 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

you do not get brick built houses in Florida.
Well you do our neighbours is but they a few and not as we would envisage in the UK, they don't do a cavity wall.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

For a state that has natural disasters most of the time, you would think they will build better houses, look at the Japanese, they design buildings to withstand some scale Earthquakes.

Originally Posted by Thydney
Well you do our neighbours is but they a few and not as we would envisage in the UK, they don't do a cavity wall.
Old Sep 12th 2004, 4:42 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
For a state that has natural disasters most of the time, you would think they will build better houses, look at the Japanese, they design buildings to withstand some scale Earthquakes.
My sentiments exactly apparently the roof should withstand 135 mph winds bit worrying Charley and Ivan are or were both 140mph + :scared:
Old Sep 13th 2004, 1:44 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
My sentiments exactly apparently the roof should withstand 135 mph winds bit worrying Charley and Ivan are or were both 140mph + :scared:
It was apparent after Charley that recently built houses fared much better than older houses. This is due to improved building codes.

For instance, garage doors now have to withstand 135mph winds (I think). Older garage doors were only rated up to 90mph. If you lose your garage door, your roof comes off.

All my neighbours who had recently renewed their roof had no lost shingles. Houses with older roofs had a lot of loss.

The only place where Concrete Block Construction does not work in Florida is in Stilt homes, such as you get in Fort Myers Beach and the Barrier Islands. The ground floor has to be relatively open so that storm surge can pass beneath the inhabited floor above. If you enclose the ground floor to make a garage or workshop you have to have vents built into the walls to allow for water passing through.

Building a ground floor house on the Barrier Islands is insanity. You probably could not get flood insurance unless it was on a very high mound.