Reload this Page >

Advice on Hawaii

Advice on Hawaii

Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

sarahmw220 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Hawaii

Hi

I'm brand new to this site and was wondering if any expats living in Hawaii could give me some advice.

I would like to relocate there but i'm not sure where to begin, is it expensive to live out there and are jobs easy to get being in the finance industry?

any help is readily appreciated.

Kind regards

Sarah
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Hawaii

Chose your visa first -- not where you're going to live

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Chose your visa first -- not where you're going to live

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
brill i will read up on the visa's
Old Jan 15th 2008, 9:57 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahmw220
Hi

I'm brand new to this site and was wondering if any expats living in Hawaii could give me some advice.

I would like to relocate there but i'm not sure where to begin, is it expensive to live out there and are jobs easy to get being in the finance industry?

any help is readily appreciated.

Kind regards

Sarah
Houses are expensive to buy in Hawaii
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Houses are expensive to buy in Hawaii
and there aren't that many jobs out there....and errr...tiny place which could get dull...
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
and there aren't that many jobs out there....and errr...tiny place which could get dull...
Good point. My parents used to live in Honolulu and my mother said she felt very claustrophobic. It was a lot of $$ to get to the mainland and she felt a bit trapped. Doesn't mean it's a bad place to live necessarily.

To the OP - I have a cousin who lives there, but she works for a company in CA out of her home. That arrangement works well. Most of her friends work in timeshares, etc.

I'm guessing Honolulu would be your best bet. Good luck!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Cost of living in Hawaii is extremely high. High-paying jobs are going to be scarce. The islands are small and very isolated; cabin fever is an issue. If you don't like beaches and rainforests, you could find yourself bored. Before making any big plans, buy and read this book.

Of course my comments are in addition to those urging you to find out what visa you would be eligible for.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:56 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Honolulu is a big city, but it is also on a small island. There is a 'good old boy' network in Hawaii the likes of which you've probably never experienced, and it can be a tough nut to crack for an outsider. There is also a limited number of jobs in that sector so you don't have a lot of options.

The economy is far more Asian-focused than European, so if you have some experience in Tokyo or Hong Kong you'll be looked at far more favorably than say London or Berlin.

Housing is on par with London. Here is a good stat:

The average cost for a single family home in Hawaii in 2006 is 625,000 dollars. Condos are going for an average price of 309,000 dollars. In 2006, a family of 4 renting accommodation in Honolulu needs to earn $111,695 or 55% more income to maintain a lifestyle similar to a comparable family earning $72,000 in the continental United States."

Here is London:
Greater London
Average Cost: £377,807
Detached: £769,519
Semi-detached: £423,889
Terraced: £403,502
Flat: £310,127

Not that far off...

It's also something like 70% Asian so some haoles occasionally feel a bit out of it. Your mileage may vary.

It's nice and all, but if you want an island, there are plenty to choose from in the Caribbean (with even more banks than you could imagine) and plenty of jobs--easy to get visas, etc.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:05 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, before you get carried away we haven't solved the visa problem yet.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:06 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, before you get carried away we haven't solved the visa problem yet.
I think that is why the Caribbean would be a better option.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:13 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Who knows? OP hasn't returned. But on Brit telly you choose where you're going first, buy the house, then sort out the pesky paperwork. I have a feeling the OP has been watching these programmes. But I could be wrong!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:59 am

Who knows? OP hasn't returned. But on Brit telly you choose where you're going first, buy the house, then sort out the pesky paperwork. I have a feeling the OP has been watching these programmes. But I could be wrong!
I think those are the shows that say 12 years as a bartender is enough for a visa.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 4:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Visas (at least permanent ones) aren't easy to come by in the Caribbean either unless you plan on living on one of the French islands (with a British passport).
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Hi

No i have'nt been watching these programmes, i have always wanted to live abroad and Hawaii in particular. I am reading up on the greencards as you suggested and I will go the right way about it. Even if it is not Hawaii i end up I will be somewhere in the world other than UK.

Thanks for all your replies and help.