Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for future B2 retirement visa for Florida

Advice for future B2 retirement visa for Florida

Old Jan 13th 2023, 11:10 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for future B2 retirement visa for Florida

Originally Posted by Dusty Roads
You’re missing the point THT… I’m not taking an American based insurance policy for health, I will be taking a U.K. based travel insurance policy… as I’ve said many times on this thread, all of my health care needs will be U.K. based and I will only need emergency coverage which having done some homework should be covered by travel insurance.

As for Brexit, well that’s still a topic of controversy here… many of the remoaners still can’t get over it..rightly or wrongly I voted Brexit, having a bunch of unelected faceless bureaucrats from Brussels telling us what to do, didn’t sit right with me, next we’ll dump that Criminal Charter the ECHR. But I digress. I don’t want Spain or southern Europe, for a start I don’t speak the language and Spain has got a very bad name for dodgy Real Estate dealings. I don’t want the Caribbean either.
the Lloyds one from below is a UK travel one… any US one would likely be $10-12k for 6 months.. if a 6 month policy was even available..

I understand why some Brits like FL… language being a big factor (I personally much prefer Hawaii, but it’s a longer flight and a lot more expensive) , I have mostly lived in English speaking countries since I leaned it as a second language… NZ, and Ireland before moving to the US. My leaving the UK was actually seeing the beginnings of Brexit back in 2003/04.. still by 2008 no one understood why I needed to get my EU passport renewed when I had a UK one… a few years later they understood…

this in itself is even more ironic because we mainly moved back to the UK (mother is British) because of the attitude against “Ausländer” in Germany in the late 70’s…

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's understandable though, for anybody that's lived in the US for a while to be suspicious of a policy for months on end for a relatively small amount of money. It just wouldn't be the norm there! I've no idea why anybody in the US on a B2 for less than 6 months would need to self-insure when there's plenty of options out there, but perhaps they're either not from the UK and it's not an option in their home country, or they just aren't aware of long term travel insurance. It is a different thing, using comparison sites you won't get any long stays covered under the normal travel insurance section, you do need to tick the 'backpackers insurance' box to find it. My grandparents spent just under 6 months in Florida each year, they had a home in Naples. My grandmother was a US citizen though, but my grandfather was on a B2.

I've just had a quick look for backpackers/long term insurance for somebody a decade older than me on Confused.com. Cheapest 5* Defacto insurance was £580 for 6 months. Medical cover $10M, excess £95. No limits per hospital stay, there is mention of the US in the policy wording though, it says it will cover 'reasonable and necessary medical and hospital expenses means costs that are incurred for approved, eligible medical services or supplies up to 150% of the published medical rates for the same or similar treatment as payable by US Medicare'. I have no idea if the 150% thing would be a problem though.
I assume the poster below meant they self insured because they were paying for any treatment directly themselves and risking a major uninsured event… but aplenty the plan b of death works out cheaper… wonder if they had a DNR sign hung around their necks…

Many big US companies self insure… They have United Healthcare or someone else manage their program.. but they “underwrite” it themselves… I.e. keep premium equivalent to pay for claims at UHC negotiated rates. And maybe some sort of top level policy as a hedge…

A fee key words there… approved, pre-approved…

The reference to Medicaid is a good indicator…

However, according to a 2020 KFF study, private insurance payment rates were 1.6-2.5 times higher than Medicare rates for inpatient hospital services”

So not to big of a gap… but as they are not Medicaid it’s harder to force a provider to treat them…

https://www.healthmarkets.com/resour...alth-insurance

Dusty Roads

If it’s you dream to move here do it and post here for others so they know how you did it… and what if any issues you had and how you resolved them…

the risks people are talking about are not certain.. so assume 90-99% your will be fine, if it gives you the lifestyle you want, and if the 10-1% event happens deal with it as best you can. Worst case you stop coming here or family get no inheritance, but you get to enjoy your golden years.. hopefully you have CV19 vacine and boosters…

If I had listened to the naysayers on here at age 21 I may never have moved here… it took me 10 years but I did it in the end…

Last edited by tht; Jan 13th 2023 at 11:58 am.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Dusty Roads is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe I have selected the incorrect forum. The more I think about it, the more I think that I’m asking the wrong people the wrong questions.

Clearly most people on here are British expats who have been living away for many months or years. Questions about temporary visits for even up to 6 months on a B2 visa don’t register and more than likely don’t apply to most of the commenters and I can see now why I’m getting some rather obscure and non-applicable answers or advice.

However quite where I’m going to get the sort of information, for this quite niche set of questions for B2 visa holders I don’t know?
Old Jan 13th 2023, 3:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

However quite where I’m going to get the sort of information, for this quite niche set of questions for B2 visa holders I don’t know?
A travel forum like Tripadvisor maybe? Tons of people spend months abroad each year in a second home, so you're certainly not unusual. You've sorted the travel insurance side of things from what I can gather, so now you just need help with the car side of things?

Good luck.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 3:30 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I have selected the incorrect forum. The more I think about it, the more I think that I’m asking the wrong people the wrong questions.

Clearly most people on here are British expats who have been living away for many months or years. Questions about temporary visits for even up to 6 months on a B2 visa don’t register and more than likely don’t apply to most of the commenters and I can see now why I’m getting some rather obscure and non-applicable answers or advice.

There may be other sites which different motivations that will give you the answers you want to hear…

https://www.floridabritsrealty.com/fbr-wintering.html

https://floridareview.co.uk/practica...ida-snow-birds

you are not the only one who does this… so clearly there is a way Brits do it… although given the majority of foreign snowbirds are Canadian I would start there in my search…

while most on this Forum are not tourists, most of us faced similar challenges when we first arrived as temporary workers or to a lesser extent as spouses of USC…. Be it temporary Insurnace, DL, insurance, tax etc…

Old Jan 13th 2023, 3:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Questions about temporary visits for even up to 6 months on a B2 visa don’t register and more than likely don’t apply to most of the commenters and I can see now why I’m getting some rather obscure and non-applicable answers or advice. ...
We get a fair number of questions about B-2's, and visitor visas, so I am not sure what you think you're missing. .... We might have gone off at a few tangents, but only ones I think are relevant even if not what you originally thought you were looking for, and as an aspiring long-stay visitor your questions may not find the advice you're looking for on a forum focused more on travel and tourism either.

So would you care to restate what questions you still have?
Old Jan 13th 2023, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Noticed some of the twaddle about illegal immigrants being a drain on the NHS. In terms of total spend, its a drop in the ocean. OP is a Daily Mail reader who does not like to be challenged.

I wish them well on their US adventures, just don't get sick.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Dusty Roads is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, nice to see that you can make judgements about me, without the merest knowledge of who I am.

Suffice to say I wonder how many Americans would take ( considering the massive health costs they seem burdened with) to people who have no connection with their country, have not paid one jot for any of the care they are receiving and then expect the British tax payer to put them up in hotels with 3 square meals per day. Last count it was costing the country £3 million per day.

Thank you to all who have contributed some useful information.
I think it better that I take some of the advice re checking tourist information sites, before things become too political.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 8:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, nice to see that you can make judgements about me, without the merest knowledge of who I am.

Suffice to say I wonder how many Americans would take ( considering the massive health costs they seem burdened with) to people who have no connection with their country, have not paid one jot for any of the care they are receiving and then expect the British tax payer to put them up in hotels with 3 square meals per day. Last count it was costing the country £3 million per day.

Thank you to all who have contributed some useful information.
I think it better that I take some of the advice re checking tourist information sites, before things become too political.
You don’t seem to be too familiar with the immigration situation in the US. Another topic to research if you plan to spend time here!
Old Jan 13th 2023, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Pulaski, which part of the reason why the NHS, is imploding and if you think I’m exaggerating, just have a look at the top story on the BBC news website today.
Just consider how much it’s costing you US citizens for medical treatment and then think that the NHS is free at the point of contact here in the U.K. … apparently no matter who you are or where you’re from or whether you have paid anything in contributions. Very little effort is made by anyone to follow up any payment for services carried out. It’s a free for all gravy train for the whole planet.
How much longer the NHS will continue like this is anyone’s guess, but when it takes 90 minutes to respond to a Cardiac Arrest, then something is going to have to change, the sooner the better in my opinion.
Just a quick correction for you.

The strain on the NHS is almost entirely attributable to an ageing population for whom the successive and largely Tory governments have not adequately funded appropriate social care.

When you hear about extended waits in A&E it's because all the beds are taken up by British geriatrics who have fallen over and cut their knee but can't be discharged because adequate social care doesn't exist and so they sit under the supervision of doctors and nurses instead.

Hope that clarifies things.

Old Jan 13th 2023, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
There may be other sites which different motivations that will give you the answers you want to hear…

https://www.floridabritsrealty.com/fbr-wintering.html
Not convinced that website has been updated recently

So how achieveable (and affordable) is it to 'Winter in Florida' as we do ? Well, property here is very affordable compared with the spiralling costs of UK homes. You get an awful lot of house for the money - even more than in Spain! For the price of an indifferent terrace house or semi in suburban London, here you can buy a beautiful, luxurious three bedroom home with pool, furnished and equipped to a high standard. In the Central Florida region around Orlando, for instance, $150,000 to $200,000 would give you plenty of choice. With the weakness of the US dollar against the Pound in recent times this means that from, say, £93,000 upwards at present rates of exchange, you can afford your very own piece of the 'Florida Dream'. US and UK mortgages are available with downpayments typically being from 25%-35% depending on status (say from £23,500). Repayments are usually over a 30 year term (no matter how old you are) and current US interest rates are at an all time low!
Old Jan 13th 2023, 11:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olly_
Not convinced that website has been updated recently.
Agreed. It looks like that is from about 10 years ago, as it has been nearly that long since the dollar could be described as being weak against sterling.
Old Jan 20th 2023, 10:07 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
sure, but we can’t invent them.. if there was an easy solution Google would be serving the OP ads for it by now….

pre-Brexit there was a solution for this for Brits who wanted a warm winter… Spain…
They can still readily do 90 days in Spain over the winter.
Old Jan 22nd 2023, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Jumping in on the driving licence debate. I know my situation was different in that I was a permanent resident but my experience was in Florida. I'm not sure where these out of state folks mentioned in earlier posts were that obtained licences but it was a right palaver getting my licence.
First answer, yes, you'll need to sit the test which, with little study, can be passed by an amoebic moron. In Sarasota the practical part of the test was taken in an area about the size of a tennis court and I believe all FL tests are taken off the public highway so if you rock up in a full size pickup you might have issues swinging it around the cones (two figure 8 loops was the sum total of the practical part!!)
Secondly, you will have to look more closely into the requirements to get your card, Sarasota office would not issue mine until I had a Social Security number, reason they gave being that FL issues Real ID cards which can be used to identify you if you have dealings with the Federal govt.
In my desperate haste to get on the road I nagged the Social Security office while the initial application post green card was still going through and ended up getting issued two numbers, luckily for them the office had both sets of paperwork and were able to sort me out but it caused quite a bit of aggro in their back office. Obviously you can't get an SSN but I mention that because it made my experience with the DMV and their insistence upon having an SSN quite memorable! That isn't to say that you can't get a licence but it did surprise me that, with it's large population of foreign residents, how few staff in the office were familiar with the procedures to deal with furriners.

I do know that up here in SC it is not uncommon for someone, with shall we say non-resident status, to pay a relative or friend to buy a car and insure it so that they may drive it. You probably don't want to ask me what they do about licences....