Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for future B2 retirement visa for Florida

Advice for future B2 retirement visa for Florida

Old Jan 11th 2023, 8:45 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for future B2 retirement visa for Florida

This might or might not be of help, but is probably worth a little time to research further.

https://www.americanvisitorinsurance...e/visitors.asp
Old Jan 11th 2023, 10:27 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Car insurance in the US is generally available so long as you have a valid license to drive in the state concerned, which can be an international license. UK licenses are valid in Florida for up to a year although you may also need an International Drivers Permit (which will need to be issued in the UK, not the US as they will only issue for US residents) but should be easy to obtain. The requirement to obtain a FL license within 30 days will not apply to you because you do not meet the requirements to do so. Therefore obtaining insurance and driving on a UK license for up to 6 months should not be an obstacle for you. Rates, will of course be higher since you will have no US history but that will get better over time. Geico provides some of the best rates for foreigners but Progressive can also be competitive. I had family pay in the region of $2,000 a year, for their first year over here, for fully comprehensive insurance on a standard SUV which has gone down by about 50% over two years.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licens...-florida-faqs/

https://www.progressive.com/answers/...n-us-citizens/

I believe you can register a car in Florida so long as you have proof of insurance, proof of identity and the vehicle title documentation. You may or may not need a Florida address but that won’t be a problem for you.

Everything you want to do is very achievable. I had family move to a different state and did all of the above without an SSN or state drivers license. They do have an immigrant visa for 3 years but otherwise were in the exact same position as you. They researched cars and dealers online before moving over, and owned an insured and registered vehicle within a week of arriving, and that was during peak Covid times. In any case, you won’t be the first or the last Brit doing exactly what you want to do. Stick with it!

Last edited by Glasgow Girl; Jan 11th 2023 at 10:52 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 3:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
.... and did all of the above without an SSN or state drivers license. They do have an immigrant visa for 3 years ....

Anyone with an immigrant (or non-immigrant, work) visa is eligible to get an SSN, so why didn't they have (at least one family member - non-working trailing spouses and minor children might not get be eligible) SSNs?
Old Jan 12th 2023, 4:35 pm
Furby

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Anyone with an immigrant (or non-immigrant, work) visa is eligible to get an SSN, so why didn't they have (at least one family member - non-working trailing spouses and minor children might not get be eligible) SSNs?
Of course they got SSNs but it took a couple of months for the paperwork to go through. My point is that you do not need an SSN to buy, insure and register a car (or even have applied for one). The SSNs were not an immediate need for them whereas the car and settling into their accommodation was so they took care of immediate needs first and applied for SSNs a few weeks later. Seems pretty sensible to me!
Old Jan 12th 2023, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Dusty Roads is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Glasgow Girl, that’s useful info and despite some of the contributors, seemingly intent on spoiling our dream, we’ll continue to investigate what spending almost 6 months at a time on a B2 visa in Florida will mean.
There’s a lot to consider and it may well be that the US isn’t as accepting to its closest ally as we might like to think. Time will tell and we’ve got a lot of corners to turn before any final decision is made.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

If your coverage (health) isn't in the 1000's per month, you do not have the right coverage.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Really? So what you’re saying is…. The insurance premium that I should be taking is to the tune of £1000s per month for health cover? I struggle to believe that and if true how can any normal retirees possibly afford such expenditure?
I will of course speak to any U.K. based insurance company ensuring I have the correct coverage, as I indicated on a previous post, LV a large nationwide insurance company in the U.K. quoted £626 for 360 days premium coverage for people with no prior medical conditions and under 65. If you don’t believe me try their website.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 7:08 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dusty Roads
Really? So what you’re saying is…. The insurance premium that I should be taking is to the tune of £1000s per month for health cover? I struggle to believe that and if true how can any normal retirees possibly afford such expenditure?
I will of course speak to any U.K. based insurance company ensuring I have the correct coverage, as I indicated on a previous post, LV a large nationwide insurance company in the U.K. quoted £626 for 360 days premium coverage for people with no prior medical conditions and under 65. If you don’t believe me try their website.
US retires have paid the into Medicaid… and get subsidized cover… like you have paid in to NI for NHS…
Old Jan 12th 2023, 7:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
US retires have paid the into Medicaid… and get subsidized cover…
So far, so good, ....
like you have paid in to NI for NHS…
Paying NI has nothing to do with being eligible for NHS treatment. I am almost fully paid up for NI purposes, but have no eligibility for NHS treatment, because I am not a resident of the UK. However in a few years my daughter could relocate to the UK as she is a British citizen, and will be eligible for NHS treatment on arrival to take up residence despite having not contributed even a penny into NI, nor even having an NI number.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 12th 2023 at 7:37 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Hmm well if you’re at all aware of the NHS situation in the U.K. then they seem much more concerned with those who haven’t paid their NI. Those who have paid into it are their last concern… ask any of the illegal immigrants coming across the channel.

Fact is I’m not intending on US citizenship, I’m quite happy with the B2 visa if the authorities grant it to us. So provided any U.K. based insurance company will cover us for upto 180 days per year, and that coverage gives us the cover we need at reasonable cost then that will do. What I won’t be doing is paying £1000s per month in a health insurance plan. That’s just ludicrous.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm well if you’re at all aware of the NHS situation in the U.K. then they seem much more concerned with those who haven’t paid their NI. Those who have paid into it are their last concern… ask any of the illegal immigrants coming across the channel.

Fact is I’m not intending on US citizenship, I’m quite happy with the B2 visa if the authorities grant it to us. So provided any U.K. based insurance company will cover us for upto 180 days per year, and that coverage gives us the cover we need at reasonable cost then that will do. What I won’t be doing is paying £1000s per month in a health insurance plan. That’s just ludicrous.

People are only asking you to make sure that the UK medical insurance policy provides enough cover for you in case you, god forbid, say, you have a heart attack in the US or a car accident.
Will it cover the, possibly, hundreds of thousands of dollars for hospital/intensive care treatment?
Read the small print.....

Old Jan 12th 2023, 7:53 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So far, so good, ....

Paying NI has nothing to do with being eligible for NHS treatment. I am almost fully paid up for NI purposes, but have no eligibility for NHS treatment, because I am not a resident of the UK. However in a few years my daughter could relocate to the UK as she is a British citizen, and will be eligible for NHS treatment on arrival to take up residence despite having not contributed even a penny into NI, nor even having an NI number.
sure so it’s income tax and/or cigarette duty that pays for it….
Old Jan 12th 2023, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Yes Pulaski, which part of the reason why the NHS, is imploding and if you think I’m exaggerating, just have a look at the top story on the BBC news website today.
Just consider how much it’s costing you US citizens for medical treatment and then think that the NHS is free at the point of contact here in the U.K. … apparently no matter who you are or where you’re from or whether you have paid anything in contributions. Very little effort is made by anyone to follow up any payment for services carried out. It’s a free for all gravy train for the whole planet.
How much longer the NHS will continue like this is anyone’s guess, but when it takes 90 minutes to respond to a Cardiac Arrest, then something is going to have to change, the sooner the better in my opinion.

Last edited by Dusty Roads; Jan 12th 2023 at 7:59 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2023, 7:59 pm
tht

Insurnace is risk based, so policy is priced based on cost of what they will statistically pay out for claims. Treatment here is very expensive, but US based insurance companies negotiate a discount on the rates for bulk purchase. Insure enough retirement age people and at some point one will have a heart attack…. And they will be on the hook for a very large bill… They don’t know who, so they spread that cost around that entire risk pool… if you don’t have enough coverage you will get the bill, and they will go after you, in your situation they may only be able to get the house in FL…

Old Jan 12th 2023, 8:04 pm

Yes Pulaski, which part of the reason why the NHS, is imploding and if you think I’m exaggerating, just have a look at the top story on the BBC news website today. ....
I am well aware, however both here on BE, in the real world, any attempt to point out that the NHS service and funding model is unsustainable immediately leads to accusations of "bashing the NHS". ... So I have learned to leave that well alone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.