Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for future B2 retirement visa for Florida

Advice for future B2 retirement visa for Florida

Old Jan 11th 2023, 6:08 am
Just Joined

Dusty Roads is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice for future B2 retirement visa for Florida

Ok thanks for the advice re travel insurance I’ll look into those companies offering long term coverage.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 2:36 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dusty Roads
Ok thanks for the advice re travel insurance I’ll look into those companies offering long term coverage.
Note, those annual policies are good value. But I'm pretty sure they only cover trips up to 31 days.
After that you're on your own.

Our friends who were visiting for months at a time were unable to find any suitable insurance to cover healthcare.
They had to pay out of pocket for all medical issues.
Typically they used the local 'minute clinics' at $125 a visit, then prescriptions at cost.
Biggie was the birth of their daughter. That was a $10,000 upfront payment. But that issue shouldn't effect the pair of you.

This guy in Thailand came a cropper ref the 31 day limit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-64187351

Last edited by excpomea; Jan 11th 2023 at 2:39 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Saga will cover for 120 days and it looks like the Post Office will cover an extended period. The Post Office on-line produced a quote for me for 5 months, UK to USA, of £2k including £10m for medical/repatriation cover.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 3:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
Note, those annual policies are good value. But I'm pretty sure they only cover trips up to 31 days.

Our friends who were visiting for months at a time were unable to find any suitable insurance to cover healthcare.
They had to pay out of pocket for all medical issues.
Typically they used the local 'minute clinics' at $125 a visit, then prescriptions at cost.
Biggie was the birth of their daughter. That was a $10,000 upfront payment. But that issue shouldn't effect the pair of you.

This guy in Thailand came a cropper ref the 31 day limit. .....
I seem to recall seeing an "annual" policy previously, but it was designed for frequent travelers, not permanent gypsies, so didn't cover 365 days of travel, only maybe 90 days travel per 365 days of coverage, and only 30 of the 90 could be in the US.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks I’ll try some digging on the health insurance matter.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have met several Canadian snow birds and they said that for really serious medical issues they flew back to Canada for treatment.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 4:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... They had to pay out of pocket for all medical issues.
Typically they used the local 'minute clinics' at $125 a visit, then prescriptions at cost. ...
That is a good tip for minor medical needs; minute clinics are attached to larger/ busier pharmacies.

If you need something more than a minute clinic can provide, or when the pharmacy is closed, then you go to an "urgent care clinic" for things up to and including broken bones - they are usually stand-alone locations (not attached to a pharmacy, hospital, or any other medical business), often near major roads or junctions. Do not go directly to a hospital accident and emergency unit unless you have a life-threatening condition, or an ambulance takes you there, as a hospital is the most expensive place for treatment. Also be aware that you will get charged for a ride in an ambulance, and that ain't cheap either!

If you take yourself to a minute clinic or urgent care, and they cannot help you, they will refer you to a medical provider who has the capability; and IME they will phone ahead to the A&E to alert them that you're on your way and what the problem is.

I have gone to a primary medical service provider three times (GP once, and urgent care twice, but for the same condition), and been referred to an A&E unit for further investigation, and in one case for three nights in a hospital bed, (very minor) surgery, and a $20k bill!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 11th 2023 at 4:14 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 4:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

There's plenty of choice out there for long stay travel cover. Tons of people (usually younger on gap years or retired folks wandering the world or wintering in a holiday home) do trips longer than 31 days, a backpackers/long stay policy is the thing to look for.

The OP should also check their home insurance, as that might need adjusting if the property will be left empty for long stretches of time.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Yes that’s a top tip, thanks. Home insurance would need adjusting, forgot about that.
I’ve just had a quote for $10,000,000 cover for 6 months for the pair of us and it’s £1450. Does that sound right?
Old Jan 11th 2023, 4:51 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that’s a top tip, thanks. Home insurance would need adjusting, forgot about that.
I’ve just had a quote for $10,000,000 cover for 6 months for the pair of us and it’s £1450. Does that sound right?
it sounds cheap for travel insurance for such a long stay in the US given your age, so assume it’s for emergency only, and wound not cover normal healthcare.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi all, just tried LV travel insurance… a quote for my wife and I for top level of cover, provided we’re under 65…. Give 360 days of cover. With no prior medical conditions. £629.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 5:47 pm

Hi all, just tried LV travel insurance… a quote for my wife and I for top level of cover, provided we’re under 65…. Give 360 days of cover. With no prior medical conditions. £629.
Sorry, but that sounds implausible. I would ask explicitly if that covers you for 6 months in Florida ..... and not believe the answer unless they can show you supporting wording in the actual policy document.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 11th 2023 at 6:33 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 5:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful with the language -- "travel insurance" is frequently very different from "international travel health insurance." As Pulaski says, read the boilerplate extremely carefully.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Well…maybe, but i entered the details set out in the online proforma. Those were specific to age.. LV policy changes drastically at 65 and 79, whereby their cover period shrinks dramatically.
Also any prior health conditions, which thankfully at the moment we haven’t, but of course this little escapade, isn’t taking place for at least another 4 years so by then I’ll be 61.
I’m just putting out there what was just quoted. It didn’t ask if I was staying at a permanent residence or what I intended to do.. providing I wasn’t going on a Cruise or taking up winter sports. Cover was for the USA, so I thought it was very good.
Old Jan 11th 2023, 6:38 pm

Well…maybe, but i entered the details set out in the online proforma. Those were specific to age.. LV policy changes drastically at 65 and 79, whereby their cover period shrinks dramatically.
Also any prior health conditions, which thankfully at the moment we haven’t, but of course this little escapade, isn’t taking place for at least another 4 years so by then I’ll be 61.
I’m just putting out there what was just quoted. It didn’t ask if I was staying at a permanent residence or what I intended to do.. providing I wasn’t going on a Cruise or taking up winter sports. Cover was for the USA, so I thought it was very good.
Yes, it is good, but if you're only in your mid 50's and in good health maybe it is true. .... But look into what the policy defines as a preexisting condition, as I will guarantee they'll try to find some reason to avoid paying out if you have a heart attack or stroke while in the US, as either of those will run up a six figure medical bill in less than 48 hours. If for any reason the emergency services summon a helicopter to whisk you to the Level 1 trauma center, that alone will add $25k to your bill.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 11th 2023 at 6:41 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.