Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on Emigrating to US

Advice on Emigrating to US

Old Jun 28th 2012, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

JayX is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice on Emigrating to US

Hi my wife and I have been doing some research on emigrating as we would like a new start in life and wanted to get some thoughts on our situation:

Info:

Nationality: Both UK citizens (born here)
Ages: Im 30 and wife is 33
Employment: Skilled IT Engineer / Wife works in Property Management and lettings
Education: No degrees but I have a BTEC (appreciate UK qual's don't translate well)
Dependants: No children (yet)

Basically after looking I don't think we have much chance of emigrating unless I find a role with a US company or a miracle happens. Can anyone provide any pointers or good advice. Also would Canada be a viable alternative?
Old Jun 28th 2012, 2:02 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Emigrating to US

You answered your own question, there. The employment route is about the only way. Have a read of this link: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA, see if any of those visas might be a fit for you.

Yes, Canada is a viable alternative and probably would be easier for you to get into. Australia as well. I have no experience in the immigration matters of those countries, though.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Cheers for the reply. I thought that might be the case. Sometimes you need someone else to either validate or reject that idea!

Might need to look at Canada a bit more. Hopefully someone may come by who knows more. Or shall I post over there (forum )
Old Jun 28th 2012, 2:08 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayX View Post
Cheers for the reply. I thought that might be the case. Sometimes you need someone else to either validate or reject that idea!

Might need to look at Canada a bit more. Hopefully someone may come by who knows more. Or shall I post over there (forum )
Yeah, post in the Canada forum for advice on immigration there but still read that link. You're not 100% ruled out of the employment visa route, it just might be more of a long term plan.

See if there are any large US based companies that have offices in the UK that you could try to get a job with. Down the line you may be able to get a transfer to a US office. As I said - not impossible, it can be done but if it is to be done it will take time.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 3:43 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Basically after looking I don't think we have much chance of emigrating unless I find a role with a US company or a miracle happens.
One tip: if going for H-1B you can use equivalent experience in lieu of a degree, but it's tricky. 12 years of experience, and you've got to have the evidence.

Can anyone provide any pointers or good advice. Also would Canada be a viable alternative?
The Canadian immigration system is in the middle of a massive overhaul, I'd leave it until at least January. The lawsuits are going to be coming thick and fast I reckon. Even if you get a work permit (which isn't terribly difficult) the procedure for going to permanent residency is now a total mess. I wouldn't want to try it myself until the situation becomes more clear.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the heads-up on that.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 3:53 pm
Grove 4 Life

If you are looking for a change, have you considered elsewhere in the EU? That would be a much easier process than trying to get to Canada or the US. Even Ireland is worth a shot, there was (as far as I remember) quite a big IT presence in Dublin.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
If you are looking for a change, have you considered elsewhere in the EU? That would be a much easier process than trying to get to Canada or the US. Even Ireland is worth a shot, there was (as far as I remember) quite a big IT presence in Dublin.
I agree its worth a shot but the state of the Irish economy doesn't fill me with joy, but saying that the UK or anyone else's isn't great at the moment!
Old Jun 28th 2012, 4:06 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Education: No degrees but I have a BTEC (appreciate UK qual's don't translate well)
If you're serious about moving abroad, I'd look to fitting in an OU-type degree
in your planning.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 4:26 pm
Grove 4 Life

I agree its worth a shot but the state of the Irish economy doesn't fill me with joy, but saying that the UK or anyone else's isn't great at the moment!
Well, no. Having said that, the US economy is not exactly one you want to get yourself involved in either, trust me.

Elsewhere in Europe tickle your fancy at all?
Old Jun 28th 2012, 7:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you've got 12 years experience, or a company transfer, about it.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

Australia offers you the chance of a great life. We did it over 30 years ago and never looked back. It's an easier country to assimilate to and the weather's a benefit as well.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 11:06 pm
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith S View Post
Australia offers you the chance of a great life. We did it over 30 years ago and never looked back. It's an easier country to assimilate to and the weather's a benefit as well.
But Australia's immigration system is also undergoing a huge overhaul with a new EOI system being put in place. It's not as easy as it used to be.

Anyway, OP should check out www.immi.gov.au for details if he's interested in Australia or read the stickies in the Australian immigration forum.