Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on dual citizenship

Advice on dual citizenship

Old Aug 15th 2013, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

silverbirch will become famous soon enoughsilverbirch will become famous soon enough
Default Advice on dual citizenship

My son can apply for dual citizenship in 2 years but I'm wondering what are the benefits if any and what is the downside of doing this. thanks.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

JHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really nice
Default Re: Advice on dual citizenship

It gives him options later in life, my wife is duel national she lived in the US and UK, it makes life easy if you want to move about
Old Aug 15th 2013, 2:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverbirch
My son can apply for dual citizenship in 2 years but I'm wondering what are the benefits if any and what is the downside of doing this. thanks.
Where is he (where does he live)? Is he planning to, or interested in moving? What is his primary nationality, and which is he considering applying for?

Originally Posted by JHolden47
...... my wife is duel national .....
Does she fight outside the home, or only with you?

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 15th 2013 at 3:47 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

silverbirch will become famous soon enoughsilverbirch will become famous soon enough

My son lives in Michigan he is married to an American girl, he is British and moved to the States 20 years ago, he has no intention of moving from where he lives now as both he and his wife have good jobs, he got his green card 3 years ago ( berore he married ) so he has 2 more years before he can apply for dual citizenship.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 3:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

My son lives in Michigan he is married to an American girl, he is British and moved to the States 20 years ago, he has no intention of moving from where he lives now as both he and his wife have good jobs, he got his green card 3 years ago ( berore he married ) so he has 2 more years before he can apply for dual citizenship.
It sounds like he is probably too old to have to register with the selective service, so there is zero risk of conscription (which was already a negligible risk anyway).

Advantages/ "advantages":

Can vote in elections
Can serve on a jury
Tax certainty
Can obtain assistance from US embassies when overseas, except in the UK (or any other country the dual citizen has citizenship of)
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If he got his green card based on marriage to a USC, he can apply for US citizenship after being a US PR for 3 years, if the marriage is also 3 years old.

He doesn't "apply for dual citizenship". He just applies for US citizenship. He keeps his UK citizenship in the process.

Rene
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thankyou Pulaski for your reply, its just me worrying, you know what mums are like.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Noorah, he didn't get his green card on his marriage, he had already got it the year before,
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:09 pm

Thankyou Pulaski for your reply, its just me worrying, you know what mums are like.
Yup, been there, and I know what you mean. You can tell him it's OK to keep his fingers crossed when he recites the Pledge of Allegiance!

Noorah, he didn't get his green card on his marriage, he had already got it the year before,
OK, so I think he can apply 90 days before the third anniversary of his wedding.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 15th 2013 at 4:11 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:20 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Everything Pulaski said, plus -

1. Never having to deal with USCIS again
2. Should something happen where he has to spend an extended period of time outside of the US, he will be able to come back.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, marriage-based citizenship is obtainable after three years of residency/marriage.

Other advantages...

Don't have to renew GC every 10 years.
Can apply for certain jobs that require citizenship (however, some may require renouncing the UK citizenship, like military, etc., but it doesn't sound like that's a problem).

BIG disadvantage...

You lose the right to say "I can't vote, so I have no opinion" when asked for your political views!
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
OK, so I think he can apply 90 days before the third anniversary of his wedding.
Third anniversary as a PR, as long as the marriage is also 3 years old.

Rene
Old Aug 15th 2013, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Third anniversary as a PR, as long as the marriage is also 3 years old.

Rene
I'm certain you can apply ahead of the anniversary (3rd or 5th depending on why the green card was issued), unless the regs have changed since I came over to the dark side?
Old Aug 15th 2013, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm certain you can apply ahead of the anniversary (3rd or 5th depending on why the green card was issued), unless the regs have changed since I came over to the dark side?
Yes, you can file the N-400 up to 90 days before your third anniversary as a PR, as long as the marriage is also more than 3 years old at that time.

I was clarifying because you only mentioned the wedding anniversary. It's the PR anniversary that's really the important one.

Rene
Old Aug 15th 2013, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Another important benefit of becoming a USC - you can't be deported for being convicted of a crime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.