Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on CT

Advice on CT

Old Dec 12th 2012, 4:48 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

VJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really nice
Default Re: Advice on CT

Hello
We lived in Groton, then Mystic from 1999 - 2004, we now live in Albany NY. You'll definitely have to do the driving test thing, but its no problem just research on line and then take yourself off for the test. The driving test center is at the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) in Norwich. We love that area and still regularly visit as we are in touch with our many friends that we've kept in touch with. In terms of places to live there are lots of great neighbourhoods with good schools. It depends what you want. We lived in Mystic because we liked the 'towny' feel to it. We could walk into town to the restaurants shops etc... However, in the summer it got busy, but we still loved it. Stonington and out to the East of New London/Groton is lovely, towards RI, but then equally as lovely is Essex and Old Saybrook to the West. All these areas are commutable to New London. Are you with EB? Pfizer? Private Message me and I can give you more info. Are you buying or renting, we could let you know where great places to rent to begin with are. Good luck in your move, it really is a beautiful area to move to.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VJW
You'll definitely have to do the driving test thing, but its no problem just research on line and then take yourself off for the test.
Even though doing the test isn't a big deal, having researched it a bit more I think I'm just going to go ahead and convert my UK license to a German one now while I can. All I need for that is €35 and a passport photo, and I can do it at the same office where I am going to get my police check next week, so it is no hassle at all. Then since Germany, unlike the UK, has driver's license reciprocity with CT (as well as many other US states)*, I can exchange my license using the out-of-state procedure once I get to the US.

* A bit more googling suggests that 27 US states have full reciprocity with Germany (no tests required) and 10 more (of which CT is one) have partial reciprocity - meaning only the theory test is required but not the driving test.

Are you with EB? Pfizer?
Active duty Navy.

Private Message me and I can give you more info.
Will do!

Are you buying or renting, we could let you know where great places to rent to begin with are.
Probably buying relatively soon after getting there, but we will most likely rent in the beginning so we can look for somewhere to buy at our own pace.

Good luck in your move, it really is a beautiful area to move to.
Thank you! I'm certainly glad to hear that!
Old Dec 13th 2012, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get a German license, that would probably be the easiest way for you. When we moved, we had 30 days in which to get a CT license, and both me and hubby had to do the 8 hour drug and alcohol class, the theory test, and a driving test.... I think I was more nervous doing that than I was when I took my test in the UK all those years ago

As for the New London area, I have no clue as we live in Bethel. I'm wondering if Nutek could help you there, I have a feeling he is possibly nearer where you're looking to live and could maybe give you a few pointers.

I love living here. You have definite seasons, which I love, although the first Winter we were here, we had Winter storm after storm, and the snow was still on the ground in April, but I loved all that. Summers are warm, but August can be extremely humid, sometimes to the point of it being oppressive, but I certainly wouldn't complain about it, after dealing with the damp and rain of Scotland for 40 years

Good luck with the move and if I can help at all, feel free to pm me.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
When we moved, we had 30 days in which to get a CT license, and both me and hubby had to do the 8 hour drug and alcohol class [...]
Heh, as I am teetotal (and always have been) I would really not appreciate that!

Good luck with the move and if I can help at all, feel free to pm me.
Much appreciated, thank you! I may well do that as the time draws nearer and more specific questions arise.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 12:45 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Yes, I think that Apfelkuchen will need a re-test rather than just an exchange, but will not have to do the learner's permit thing.
The husband and I moved to CT from England last summer, and were told there's no drivers licence exchanging with the UK. We not only had to take both tests--the paper test and the road test--but before we could even take the first test we had to take 8 hours of drivers ed classes. THAT was painful, since the pupils were mostly American high school students.

We were told the drivers ed was a somewhat recent CT requirement for anyone not in the US DMV "system". We tried but could not escape this requirement. A Czech lady took the classes with us, she was the only other non-teenager.

CT is surprisingly strict. If I were you, Apfelkuchen, and if it's possible to exchange with a German licence, I would do anything I could to get that German licence.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I know about CT is that its Call Before You Dig instead of Digsafe there.
Happy to help
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

I love Connecticut wouldn't want to live any other place, green and clean not a tourist attraction and half hour from NY city by train.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
Probably buying relatively soon after getting there, but we will most likely rent in the beginning so we can look for somewhere to buy at our own pace.

You don't want to buy for at least a year. It's so much more expensive buying and selling as well as being very different to maintain and life style out here.

CT is lovely though, except Hartford, dump of a capital, but the rest of the state is lovely and no tolls on the road is a bonus..well makes up for the petrol being so much more expensive over there than any where else
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:26 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You don't want to buy for at least a year. It's so much more expensive buying and selling as well as being very different to maintain and life style out here.

CT is lovely though, except Hartford, dump of a capital, but the rest of the state is lovely and no tolls on the road is a bonus..well makes up for the petrol being so much more expensive over there than any where else
Fortunately, there is nothing IN Hartford, so there is no need to go there.

Well... Except Immigration that is. Bleh.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:32 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek

Wait, aren't both the Mark Twain House and the Louisa May Alcott House there in Hartford? Close to each other too. I liked both of those.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:45 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Wait, aren't both the Mark Twain House and the Louisa May Alcott House there in Hartford? Close to each other too. I liked both of those.
Well yes,

But apart from the Mark Twain house and the may Alcott house, what has Hartford ever done for us?

Hardly makes for a fun packed night out though really.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you're heading through CT to PA, it's the path of least resistance, till you hit traffic...and you get to experience some of the weird loopy spaghetti junctions that you see on tele and realise they are as shit as they look

It is a cool skyline though
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
It is a cool skyline though
It is. So long as you know you aren't having to drive into it.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:10 pm
Under blue skies

But apart from the Mark Twain house and the may Alcott house, what has Hartford ever done for us?

Hardly makes for a fun packed night out though really.
Yeah, agreed, but then again I don't need those nights anymore (if I ever did).

When Twain & the others lived there in the Nook Farm neighbourhood, it sounds like it was a lot more fun:
In Nook Farm: Mark Twain’s Hartford Circle, author Kenneth Andrews describes a neighborhood characterized by an easy and congenial lifestyle in which houses appeared scattered in a vast park rather than built on separate lots. Doors were always open; paths and shortcuts led through the woods from house to house, and homes were designed and furnished for frequent and informal visiting.
http://connecticuthistory.org/where-...-dream-houses/
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Yeah, agreed, but then again I don't need those nights anymore (if I ever did).
Same here really.

When Twain & the others lived there in the Nook Farm neighbourhood, it sounds like it was a lot more fun:

http://connecticuthistory.org/where-...-dream-houses/
It's near I84 and some sort of a power station now isnt it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.