Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice anyone please? :)

Advice anyone please? :)

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:43 am
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice anyone please? :)

I know sweet old lady who co-ordinates a local charity for re-housing of homeless animals. She just wrote to me to ask me about an email she received. I am sure it is a scam, but it is strange that it is written in a more specific way than i have seen before (maybe it was sent to a mailing list?).
Here is what it says :

Good day,
I would like to make a donation to your institution in support of your work in helping the pets. My name is ************* family attorney based in London. A year ago I was diagnosed with lung cancer with less than 18months to live.
I have not been a religious man, but now I am close to God. A priest advised that to find happiness with myself I should use the privileges God has given me to help the less privileged in the Society. I have then decided to make money and gift item donations to three different organizations. That’s why I have contacted you, I hope you accept my kind offering and use my donation to help the pets.
Having said that, I would like to make a donation of US$10,000 and gift items to your organization in support of your work in helping pets up for adoption.
Please get back to me with your address, name and phone number,so I would know how and where to send the payment by check.
Thank you

Am I just too cynical? I think it's pretty clear that it's BS.
What do you think?
The main question I have is how do i tell her in a nice and convincing way, but also how can you report people like this for investigation?

sorry it's a strange/long one any views?
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:46 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice anyone please? :)

Seems like if it was real, he would have found her business address at the same time as her email address. Never a reason to need a personal address for something like this. Also, he should have provided verifiable contact information for himself.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:47 am
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Seems like if it was real, he would have found her business address at the same time as her email address. Never a reason to need a personal address for something like this.
yeah, and she's not at an institution.
it makes me sick that someone would prey on a charity
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:10 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Good day,
I would like to make a donation to your institution don't know what it is, don't care in support of your work in <helping the pets> insert generic here. My name is ************* family attorney irrelevant info designed to promote trust based in London. Start heartstrings tug here: A year ago I was diagnosed with lung cancer with less than 18months to live.
I have not been a religious man, but now I am close to God must be trustworthy. A priest advised that to find happiness with myself nne* I should use the privileges God has given me to help the less privileged in the nne* Society. I have then nne* decided to make nne* money and gift item donations to three different organizations. That’s why I have contacted you, I hope you accept my kind nne* offering and use my donation to help the pets. reiterate generic here
Having said that, I would like to make a donation of US$10,000 and gift items the gift that keeps on giving to your organization in support of your work in helping pets up for adoption. re-reiterate
Please get back to suspicious space me with your address, name and phone number if you know the charity, you know the address ,so I would know how and where to send the payment by suspicious space check.
Thank you

*nne: non-native English

Sounds to me like a scam that has been re-edited by another scammer.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:17 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Dut to some "administrative error" the check will be for too much and she will be asked to send the excess back by Western Union. The check, of course, will later bounce.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:28 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Or they will want your bank accout number to pay it in ...

how you still got the original email header ..
we can see where it originated...
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

shelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Advice anyone please? :)

Originally Posted by cutina
I know sweet old lady who co-ordinates a local charity for re-housing of homeless animals. She just wrote to me to ask me about an email she received. I am sure it is a scam, but it is strange that it is written in a more specific way than i have seen before (maybe it was sent to a mailing list?).
Here is what it says :

Good day,
I would like to make a donation to your institution in support of your work in helping the pets. My name is ************* family attorney based in London. A year ago I was diagnosed with lung cancer with less than 18months to live.
I have not been a religious man, but now I am close to God. A priest advised that to find happiness with myself I should use the privileges God has given me to help the less privileged in the Society. I have then decided to make money and gift item donations to three different organizations. That’s why I have contacted you, I hope you accept my kind offering and use my donation to help the pets.
Having said that, I would like to make a donation of US$10,000 and gift items to your organization in support of your work in helping pets up for adoption.
Please get back to me with your address, name and phone number,so I would know how and where to send the payment by check.
Thank you

Am I just too cynical? I think it's pretty clear that it's BS.
What do you think?
The main question I have is how do i tell her in a nice and convincing way, but also how can you report people like this for investigation?

sorry it's a strange/long one any views?
Sorry not of much help but maybe if you contact your local internet service provider they maybe able to point you in the right direction for reporting it and if it is genuine you'll find out through them
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:23 am
Powder Maggot

Another give away is that people don't make $10,000 donations without wanting to discuss how it will be spent.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
how you still got the original email header ..
we can see where it originated...
That's what I'm thinking....and anyway, something like this, if it was on the up, his solicitor would make the contact, and would do so in writing...
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:26 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose you could call this a cat scan.....
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:29 am
Powder Maggot

Originally Posted by Ray
A late night in Florida?
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:44 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

****SCAM SCAM SCAM****

Most likely from Nigeria.

Give us the email headers and we'll get the boys round to explain the error of their ways to them, harrasing good folk is just not on.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:10 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:29 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

As everyone's pointed out, it's a scam.

More specifically, it uses the exact same generic wording as a rash of around 50 emails I received a couple of months ago. In this particular case they've just made it slightly more targeted. All the "...not a religious man, but now I am close to God" bullshit is identical to the "Nigerian 419 scam" or advance fee emails I received.

Pointless contacting the ISP in my view, given the number of these being sent out.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:20 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Nice one squirrel..............

I would forward it to The Anti Phishing Working Group who's email address is [email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.