British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/advice-929365/)

sarasota chic Nov 18th 2019 9:58 pm

Advice

Not sure if someone can help me on here but where I work there is a particular member of staff who is continually asking people’s ages, and when he finds out the info from Facebook he continually berates them. The name calling is things like boomer, this job must be getting too much for you etc all these comments are in front of other members of staff. A prime example it was my birthday and he kept asking me how old I am I told him none of your business etc he stalked my sister on Facebook to find out my age pathetic eh. I’m no where near retiring as yet but there are others who are very near retirement. Is there any point in speaking with HR or is it okay to berate people about their age. There are other issues which isn’t related to this post. TIA.

Nutmegger Nov 18th 2019 10:15 pm

Re: Advice

Good lord, of course you should speak to HR. This sounds like one sick puppy on so many levels!

Noorah101 Nov 18th 2019 10:31 pm

Definitely speak to HR. What he's doing is inappropriate on many levels. . asking age, berating people, stalking people on social media... all huge no-nos in the workplace!

Rene

Guindalf Nov 18th 2019 11:12 pm

Nothing short of workplace harassment! Go to HR. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200!

SpoogleDrummer Nov 19th 2019 5:40 pm

Seems odd, but I do greet some of my co-workers by pointing out how old they are every day, despite the fact they're only 5 years older than me. They give as good as they get though, maybe he just hasn't realised you're not interested verbal jousting. Either that or he's in to older women and hasn't improved his pickup technique since school.

Winston_the_Great_Dane Nov 19th 2019 11:37 pm

absolutely yes, report this to HR. The colleague is causing what’s known in HR terms as a ‘hostile work environment’. This term is used when someone is doing something unprofessional towards people, but not necessarily a black and white disciplinary matter.

Good luck - we don’t need idiots impacting those trying their best to work and this pillock needs knocking down a peg.

W

Rete Nov 20th 2019 1:34 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12766051)
Seems odd, but I do greet some of my co-workers by pointing out how old they are every day, despite the fact they're only 5 years older than me. They give as good as they get though, maybe he just hasn't realised you're not interested verbal jousting. Either that or he's in to older women and hasn't improved his pickup technique since school.

Very odd. Why would you do something like that and don't tell me it is a British thing.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 20th 2019 1:43 am

If you have HR I would report it, if not then report to the relevant manager.

SpoogleDrummer Nov 20th 2019 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12766323)
Very odd. Why would you do something like that and don't tell me it is a British thing.

Because I have a sense of humour and so do my co-workers. Obviously I only do it with people who know I'm joking and won't get upset. My co-workers aren't Brits so it can't be a British thing. I couldn't imagine working somewhere where you had to be serious all the time for fear of getting in trouble with HR.

scrubbedexpat097 Nov 20th 2019 3:41 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12766335)
Because I have a sense of humour and so do my co-workers. Obviously I only do it with people who know I'm joking and won't get upset. My co-workers aren't Brits so it can't be a British thing. I couldn't imagine working somewhere where you had to be serious all the time for fear of getting in trouble with HR.

But there is a difference . You said yourself you only tease and joke with people you probably know quite well and it is being done very lightheartedly. It also depends on the tone of voice as well.
The guy Sarasota chic talks about sounds aggressive and a little bit scary if he is stalking someone's Facebook.! Then doesnt sound like harmless banter!

BEVS Nov 20th 2019 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12766350)
there is a difference . You said yourself you only tease and joke with people you probably know quite well and it is being done very lightheartedly. It also depends on the tone of voice as well.
The guy Sarasota chic talks about sounds aggressive and a little bit scary if he is stalking someone's Facebook.!

Yup. That is the difference. Spoogle is having a two way humour exchange. Sarasota chic is on the receiving end of something less than savoury.

The geezer needs reporting. I don't mean our Spoogle. I mean the creepy guy with the issues.

TexanScot Nov 20th 2019 4:54 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12766351)
The geezer needs reporting.

Depending on the ages involved, it's also potentially unlawful harassment:

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/age.cfm

tht Nov 25th 2019 7:18 pm

Depending on the state your are in you may be able to record it workout the other parties consent. Get the evidence before you report it, so its a slam dunk.

sarasota chic Nov 26th 2019 7:59 pm

Thank you for all your replies, the guy who has been harassing people has now been spoken to by the manager for now it has stopped however if it statute again I will be reporting him.

tooboocoo Nov 27th 2019 10:43 am

How exactly was he able to "stalk" your sister to find out YOUR age?