Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advertising Standards in the U.S.

Advertising Standards in the U.S.

Old May 21st 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Question Advertising Standards in the U.S.

Is there such a thing here in the U.S.?

Some of the claims that the local car dealers make around here would appear to stretch the truth a little, as in "The worlds number 1 sellers of Ford trucks". and "Its official, we've just been announced as the Worlds number 1 dealer for Chevy Surburbans"
Old May 21st 2004, 9:36 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

There is the better business bureau. I'm sure there must be standards otherwise you can report companies to them
Old May 21st 2004, 9:46 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

if fox news gets away with "fair and balanced" then no
Old May 21st 2004, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I asked this when I first arrived.... the basics are... NO.. there are none... if someone is being blatant.. then you can sue... but not really... cos they've got more money than you
Old May 21st 2004, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

As someone who deals with marketing departments -- i think i can make some qualified remarks on this subject:

There are two limits on advertising standards per se:

1) What can be construed as illegal (false claims, slander)

2) What can be construed as bad taste (ie: gets you noticed, but gets you noticed in a negative connotation, which doesn't influence the viewer "buy" your product in the slightest sense).

Stay out of those two realms, and everything else is FAIR game.

Personally i try to advise marketers to stay AWAY from self-professed claims like "Worlds #1 blah blah" or "Absolutely great tasting" blah blah. People have become so desensitived to words and cliches of that sort, than they've lost all meaning and effect.

-= nav =-
Old May 22nd 2004, 2:08 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of off topic but still on. I worked in TV back in the old country, and was toying with idea of getting back to it here. With that in mind, I started networking and got sent a few trade journals. Call me naive but I was staggered at the amount of coverage in the publications devoted to advertisors. Not just the actual ads, but the people who put the ads on.

A few reads, and a couple of meetings later it was really clear who ran broadcast television over here, and I decided not to bother with it.
Old May 22nd 2004, 4:47 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Tivo was the best thing to happen to TV advertising since the Hamlet ads....

Read somewhere recently that a lot of major tv advertisers are expecting to reduce spend on TV ads as Tivo (and similar) get more popular, and divert resources to other media - internet? great, more pop-ups
Old May 22nd 2004, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough
Talking

I love tivo..

becuase of it i'm starting to do kick-ass business selling advertising space ON shows and movies. Subtle and implicit advertising within tv and movies is a hot field right now.

As for the internet. Look up "Content Advertising". It's all the rage on MSN.com.

It's advertising disguised as legitimate articles. Such as an article on dating which is really an ad for match.com. Or how to get the most of your home entertainment system, which are really likes to products on bestbuy.com.

Many journalists and authors are making a killing writing informative articles -- but adding subtle biases and links within it towards the company that are paying them.

If someone wants to make mega bucks at home -- get into this new exciting field. Companies are dying for alternative ways of net advertising besides the over-used and ineffective banner method.

I would dwelve more into it -- but i already got my hands tied with what i do, and don't have the resources to allocate to it. So it's a goldmine for whoever wants it.

-= nav =-