Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advantages of US Citizenship?

Advantages of US Citizenship?

Old Mar 15th 2014, 7:01 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advantages of US Citizenship?

What has been your experience?

We love it, summer weather is great, lots to do, more expendable income.

Are you glad you moved?

Yes

What is your experience with medical?

It pi$$es me off royally (the bureaucracy) thank the stars we haven't had to use it much.

And, the general cost of living?

About the same as UK but more bang for your buck

Employment? (We're both IT professionals)

Hubby was a UK - US transfer in O&G service sector (long time employee of same company) I am avoiding going back to work like it's the black death

Of course we miss family and friends, some food things but in general we are pretty settled and happy.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

BikerBear is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been gone for 10 years! A LOT has changed in that time... I'm just asking for people's opinion of the CURRENT situation. Nothing more, nothing less.

So far, all I've received is bitchy comments.... Sorry I asked...

Moderator, please remove mu userID
Old Mar 15th 2014, 7:09 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
A conversation about what? You're an American, are you looking to have a conversation about whether you want to renounce your U.S. citizenship, or whether your spouse should plan to obtain U.S. citizenship?

The wiki article mentioned covers many of the issues. Also this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=824194

Anything specific you have in mind?
Yes, what exactly IS the question? Is your wife asking, "Should I get US citizenship?"

If that's it, check the BE Wiki on Advantages/Disadvantages of USC as well as the thread JAJ links above. Have your wife read both through and make a decision....

I think the upshot of both the BE Wiki and that thread are: If you have family living in the USA, or if you ever expect to live there yourself = yes, get USC. If not = USC can be more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited by WEBlue; Mar 15th 2014 at 7:28 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BikerBear
My goodness.... This doesn't sound too promising!

Sounds like the America I left 10 years ago, has turned into Sh1t! Is there anything positive?
In a way, I would take a lot of what I say with a pinch of salt. I live in an area that my wife moved us to, and to say it hasn't worked out would be an understatement. We used to live in the Santa Cruz area in California and I liked it a lot.

On the other hand I find a lot of the attitudes in the US, especially on the right wing, a little hard to take. I know people here who work 60+ hours a week doing 3 jobs who barely make enough to pay for rent and food who are told it's their fault because they "don't work hard enough."

One of my neighbours was diagnosed with lung cancer (she doesn't smoke) for the 3rd time. She's already lost her house and all her savings from the costs of the last course of treatment. Now, not only does she have to worry about a potentially terminal disease, but how her family (hubby and 4 kids) are going to live.

To be honest, I'm probably making more money than I would in the UK, I live in a nice, big house and have $80,000+ worth of cars on the driveway. Does it make me happy though? I'd much rather not have to worry about losing it all if I (or my wife) falls ill or if my job disappears with no notice one day. Yes, it's a wonderful country to see, but not if you only have 10 vacation days (that also count for sick days) to use.

Some of this stuff doesn't matter at all to some people. As long as they are happy and comfortable, they're fine, and good for them. It's just not for me though.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
43F and snow showers for Monday.

72 degrees without a cloud in the sky here
a 6 hour round trip to civilisation. No thanks.
San Fran less than an hour away.

If you like HFCS, salt, growth hormones in your milk and meat, etc.
Yum!!

That reminds me, no one has accused me of stealing an American's job for at least a month. Oh joy.
Never had that accusation. It's never even been implied.

Quantity is not quality. I'd prefer houses built with slightly more quality than a garden shed.
I have a well built house sitting on approx an acre of land. I'll take that over what I had in the UK every day of the week.

I'd rather have a car that can go around corners, thank you very much. I'd take a hot hatch over those monstrosities any time of day.
An outdated misconception.

Men in tights and bike helmets on steroids. Watch the Six Nations and feel ashamed
I watch the 6 Nations religiously (thanks for nothing France). Of course, unlike rugby, NFL players use their bodies to block, hence the pads and helmets.

Old Mar 15th 2014, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I've been gone for 10 years! A LOT has changed in that time... I'm just asking for people's opinion of the CURRENT situation. Nothing more, nothing less.

The procedure is to send a message to admin asking to close your account.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

If you are unhappy in the UK you have to find out why, because changing location may not influence what is making you unhappy.

I love the USA. But I also loved living in England, Scotland and Germany. How you enjoy a place depends on YOU. As an example, I enjoyed climbing and playing Rugby in Europe, but when i moved to the USA i started and enjoy surfing and running.

There is great feeling of space in the USA. I feel the UK is very, very small now.

You need medical insurance over here. But you need that in other countries as well. The UK is a bit of an anomaly.

Everything in the west in a little more expensive these days - people are not comparing apples with apples in that regard. The basics for the western lifestyle ultimately depends on oil price, and that has been high for nearly ten years. So you cannot compare food prices in the UK 10 years ago with prices now in the USA. The Economist uses an interesting method for comparing prices, and this comparison shows things are mostly the same depending on exchange rate.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 9:45 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

So far, all I've received is bitchy comments....
Actually those comments ARE the opinions.

A vocal number here are more than ready to head home to Blighty. You might want to listen to them because there's a chance your wife would react the same way to American life.

On the other hand, some here quite like their "American" lives and have no plans to leave, as evidenced by this recent thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=820830
Old Mar 16th 2014, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Also.

It's not a question and answer session here.
It's more of a bunch of mates with conflicting personal opinions having an animated discussion down the pub.

(However you also have interlopers declaring "facts" when they're nothing of the sort.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Mar 16th 2014 at 1:00 am.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering

You need medical insurance over here. But you need that in other countries as well. The UK is a bit of an anomaly.
I don't want to turn this into another health insurance thread, but the European model of health care insurance is a very different beast from the American one. A lot of my friends and family back home think that it's a case of paying your premium and that's it. They don't know, or understand, deductibles, co-pays, networks, treatment coverage, prescription costs, etc. We now have full insurance through my work and it's considered a premium plan. In the first two months of a year, we've already shelled out over $2000 on top of premiums.
For anyone coming to the US with any sort of condition that needs treatment, it is an important consideration.

Last edited by cluedweasel; Mar 16th 2014 at 12:58 am.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 4:31 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

but the European model of health care insurance is a very different beast from the American one.
Oh really and i thought the earth was flat

I suggest jumping in your hot hatch and taking a ride back to a land where everyone thinks there should be no horse called jack and that every horse should cross the finish line at the same time

And where your government is charging you 70% tax on petrol which is why you find a hatch so acceptable in the first place

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I'm living my dream at the moment thanks, so nitpick at American all you want. I see an individual with a similar attitude called Piers Morgan that got fired recently ....

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Mar 16th 2014 at 4:41 am.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Folks,

Well, I've been asked a very interesting question by my spouse.... "What are the advantages of having a blue passport?" And, to be honest, I was stumped for answers....

Basically, I'm the American with dual nationality with UK. I've been in the UK for nearly 10 years. We don't like living here. However, we have a house in France that we can retire to in 5 years.

With the expense of the actual move, shipping of the dogs, selling the UK house, etc. and with the potential of medical coverage (my spouse is insulin-dependent diabetic) I'm not sure of what the medical coverage is like in America since I've been gone for so long.

So, I would love to hear from folks here of their opinions. What has been your experience? Are you glad you moved? What is your experience with medical? And, the general cost of living? Employment? (We're both IT professionals) We would like to return to New England (MA, CT, RI).

Thanks in advance!

Richard
I only lived in the UK for 5 years and was shocked at the transformation of things when I came back to live in the US. This isn't your Kansas anymore, Dorothy and no one can tell you how much things have changed, good or bad, you have to experience it for yourself. Reverse culture shock is a bitch in itself!

People have told you their opinions good or bad, bitchy or not, what exactly do you want to hear?
Old Mar 16th 2014, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Oh really and i thought the earth was flat

I suggest jumping in your hot hatch and taking a ride back to a land where everyone thinks there should be no horse called jack and that every horse should cross the finish line at the same time

And where your government is charging you 70% tax on petrol which is why you find a hatch so acceptable in the first place

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I'm living my dream at the moment thanks, so nitpick at American all you want. I see an individual with a similar attitude called Piers Morgan that got fired recently ....
Surely not contentious to say that someone coming to the US should be aware of the differences in healthcare delivery.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:20 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Surely not contentious to say that someone coming to the US should be aware of the differences in healthcare delivery.
The OP is returning to the US not coming to the US.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:33 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

We don't get many rage quits in these here'parts,.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.