Reload this Page >

Advantages of US Citizenship?

Advantages of US Citizenship?

Old Mar 15th 2014, 7:30 am
Just Joined

BikerBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advantages of US Citizenship?

Hi Folks,

Well, I've been asked a very interesting question by my spouse.... "What are the advantages of having a blue passport?" And, to be honest, I was stumped for answers....

Basically, I'm the American with dual nationality with UK. I've been in the UK for nearly 10 years. We don't like living here. However, we have a house in France that we can retire to in 5 years.

With the expense of the actual move, shipping of the dogs, selling the UK house, etc. and with the potential of medical coverage (my spouse is insulin-dependent diabetic) I'm not sure of what the medical coverage is like in America since I've been gone for so long.

So, I would love to hear from folks here of their opinions. What has been your experience? Are you glad you moved? What is your experience with medical? And, the general cost of living? Employment? (We're both IT professionals) We would like to return to New England (MA, CT, RI).

Thanks in advance!

Richard
Old Mar 15th 2014, 2:37 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advantages of US Citizenship?

So your query isn't really anything to do with citizenship, but rather about the cost/standard of living in the US? If you do a search, I think you will find a number of recent threads on that topic. But to answer one part of your query, health insurance is costly, but at least the Affordable Care Act does makes it available for one and all to purchase. New England is a lovely area in which to live, but it is pricey.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 2:52 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Advantage #1- You will be able to sponsor your spouse for a visa to join you in US. You didn't mention their citizenship, so I am assuming not US.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 3:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship
Old Mar 15th 2014, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BikerBear
So, I would love to hear from folks here of their opinions. What has been your experience?
It's a big con.
Are you glad you moved?
No.
What is your experience with medical?
Barely satisfactory, extremely bureaucratic.
And, the general cost of living?
Expensive (CA).
Employment? (We're both IT professionals)
No idea.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sally! Really appreciate your honesty....

Anyone else??? Would really like to see a good conversation on this one...

Cheers!
Old Mar 15th 2014, 4:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

A conversation about what? You're an American, are you looking to have a conversation about whether you want to renounce your U.S. citizenship, or whether your spouse should plan to obtain U.S. citizenship?

The wiki article mentioned covers many of the issues. Also this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=824194

Anything specific you have in mind?
Old Mar 15th 2014, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Bob already posted a link to the Pros and Cons. Only you can decide what's important to you.

Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:03 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers!
So many variables. If you get a good job or jobs in your respective fields, with good health insurance, southern New England could be a good place to live. For me, the weather there, excessively hot summers and long, cold winters makes it an unattractive place to live compared to England. Then there's mosquitoes, Lyme Disease, etc. May suit some people though.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but his question is on citizenship isn't it?
Not location.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

"I've been in the UK for nearly 10 years. We don't like living here."

What is it that you don't like about living in the UK? What do you expect to be better in the US?
Old Mar 15th 2014, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
What do you expect to be better in the US?
Oh, I dunno, better weather, more space, nicer food, friendlier people, bigger houses with bigger gardens, Ford Mustangs and Chevy Camaro's, Sundays of NFL.........
Old Mar 15th 2014, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Oh, I dunno, better weather,
43F and snow showers for Monday.
more space,
a 6 hour round trip to civilisation. No thanks.
nicer food,
If you like HFCS, salt, growth hormones in your milk and meat, etc.
friendlier people,
That reminds me, no one has accused me of stealing an American's job for at least a month. Oh joy.
bigger houses with bigger gardens,
Quantity is not quality. I'd prefer houses built with slightly more quality than a garden shed.
Ford Mustangs and Chevy Camaro's,
I'd rather have a car that can go around corners, thank you very much. I'd take a hot hatch over those monstrosities any time of day.
Sundays of NFL.........
Men in tights and bike helmets on steroids. Watch the Six Nations and feel ashamed

While we're at it, expensive quality food, no worthwhile job protection, no mandatory vacation allowance, a terrible and punitive healthcare system, crumbling infrastructure, a growing rich/poor divide, an "I'm alright Jack" attitude to others, a growing influence of the right wing christian fundamentalists in politics and social affairs, etc.

I was being serious in my original question. If the OP can say what he doesn't like about the UK, folks here can advise him if things are likely to be better for him in the US.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

My goodness.... This doesn't sound too promising!

Sounds like the America I left 10 years ago, has turned into Sh1t! Is there anything positive?

Thanks again!

Richard
Old Mar 15th 2014, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't get it...you've spent most of your life in the US and 10 years in the UK.
You, therefore, should have a good understanding of the difference between the two places.
What's your take?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.