Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Adjustment of status app and 60day wait

Adjustment of status app and 60day wait

Old Apr 27th 2002, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Gaynor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adjustment of status app and 60day wait

My sister is a disabled US Citizen. After their son died our parents are now thinking of resuming their USA RV trip entering US on May 15, 2002. they think RVing would be a distraction for at least a month or so.
A lawyer my sister saw in FLorida said the week after they arrive in the US he can file papers for our parents to start the process of becoming US legal res. (if they want to). He reckons it would take 4 - 5 mos to become legal residents if he did it....

I thought I read on this forum that if they decide to apply in the US a 60 day waiting period after they arrive is prudent.

A 30 night return ticket is $200 each
A 3 month return ticket is $700 each (ROFL)

Q1: What do you think about buying them a ticket for a month only and not actually use the return ticket (they have a 6 mos US visitor visas). Wait 60 days and then apply to INS to adjust status if they want to? When we apply their return air ticket would then be out of date, but not their visa

Andrea
Old Apr 29th 2002, 7:30 pm
Shelley

Default Re: Adjustment of status app and 60day wait

Waiting 60 days to apply for AOS is a good idea. And having the return tickets is as
well - it would show the INS they did not intend to immigrate when they entered the
US, but decided to stay after they arrived. You really don't need a lawyer to
complete the forms, you can go to the I-130 Immigration Help Site and it will take
you through the procedure step by step.
http://www.geocities.com/immigration_helpsite/index.htm Even if you decide to use a
lawyer, it would be a good idea to read this site so you know what forms are needed
and the costs involved. As for his "reckoning" it would take 4 or 5 months to become
PRs - from this website it appears all the Florida INS offices (I don't know which
local office you will be filing your forms at) are taking about a year to process
applications. http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/instimes.htm Take Care. Shelley

"Gaynor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My sister is a disabled US Citizen. After their son died our parents are now
    > thinking of resuming their USA RV trip entering US on May 15, 2002. they think
    > RVing would be a distraction for at least a month or so. A lawyer my sister saw in
    > FLorida said the week after they arrive in the US he can file papers for our
    > parents to start the process of becoming US legal res. (if they want to). He
    > reckons it would take 4 - 5 mos to become legal residents if he did it....
    >
    > I thought I read on this forum that if they decide to apply in the US a 60 day
    > waiting period after they arrive is prudent.
    >
    > A 30 night return ticket is $200 each A 3 month return ticket is $700 each (ROFL)
    >
    > Q1: What do you think about buying them a ticket for a month only and not actually
    > use the return ticket (they have a 6 mos US visitor visas). Wait 60 days and
    > then apply to INS to adjust status if they want to? When we apply their return
    > air ticket would then be out of date, but not their visa
    >
    > Andrea
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com