Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Adds that make you see red?

Adds that make you see red?

Old Dec 13th 2004, 2:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adds that make you see red?

The McD's add with the plank going on about the fish, just want to nail gun him to the wall...

another one, the Jeep add with the volcano and the small print "Do not attempt", do not attempt what? getting blown out of a volcano? why? or to drive off road?

Any others that get on your goat?
Old Dec 13th 2004, 2:53 am
Franklin

Default Re: Adds that make you see red?

Originally Posted by Bob
The McD's add with the plank going on about the fish, just want to nail gun him to the wall...

another one, the Jeep add with the volcano and the small print "Do not attempt", do not attempt what? getting blown out of a volcano? why? or to drive off road?

Any others that get on your goat?
The advertisement that talks about her man.... "Being ready" ... "more active" etc. Some sex enhancement drug or supplement - right in the middle of eating tea for heaven's sake. Don't know if this is seen in all areas, but it gets my goat for sure. Yes OK, but it has been on for like ever. Can get a wee bit embarrassing too if you have company around, unless of course it is a girl-friend.

Old Dec 13th 2004, 2:55 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a kid I wanted to buy a box of tampons -

because on the telly you could go swimming, running, ride a horse - and I'd never been on a horse
Old Dec 13th 2004, 2:55 am
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road

Drug company adds where they are advertising a new wonder drug but don't mention anywhere in the add what symptom it is intended to treat....
Old Dec 13th 2004, 2:57 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

The commercial for the Herpes meds.

Things that make you go......ewwwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old Dec 13th 2004, 3:12 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Two for me at the moment:

1. The Domino's pizza two for one offer or whatever it is, in which the people in it moronically say everything twice: "hey, hey, how ya doin', how ya doin' ". makes me want to boot the telly in.

2. That one with the baldness treatment, in which the fat bloke with the man boobs goes "but here's the big question......do you think my barber will remember me?". There's just something utterly pathetic and witless about that one line that drives me up the bloody wall.

And further to the "do not attempt" in the Jeep ad, have you noticed that car ads often say "professional driver, closed course, do not attempt" even when the ad shows the car driving sedately along a city street??
Old Dec 13th 2004, 3:15 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
1. The Domino's pizza two for one offer or whatever it is, in which the people in it moronically say everything twice: "hey, hey, how ya doin', how ya doin' ". makes me want to boot the telly in.
Arrrrghhhh!!!!!

I hate that crap.

Mind you, Corti-Slim with Dr Greg C Namone (or whatever the hell his name is) is pissing me off too.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 3:19 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Arrrrghhhh!!!!!

I hate that crap.

Mind you, Corti-Slim with Dr Greg C Namone (or whatever the hell his name is) is pissing me off too.
If that's the one that goes on about "unsightly belly fat" and has the crap 80s graphics then it pisses me off too.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 3:37 am
You Are All Diseased

If that's the one that goes on about "unsightly belly fat" and has the crap 80s graphics then it pisses me off too.
That's the one.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:34 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

It took getting a DVR from time Warner, but finally, I am free of that annoying tit, Dr Greg Singalong - not to mention the annoying "5 or 6 vanity pounds" woman. Although I am trying to figure if they are more annoying than Billy Mays, of Oxy-Clean/Kaboom/Orange-Cack Cleaner fame.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 12:35 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Not annoying (actually rather good) but utterly disgusting was the ad for Orkin pest control last year.

Started with one of a number of innocuous (and fake) ads for sometime completely unrelated, and then a perfect silhouette of a very large cockroach would scuttle across the screen a few times. The Orkin man would then appear and splatter the roach.

Seriously, I though I was going to lose my dinner the first time I saw that whilst sitting in a hotel suite of dubious cleanliness, eating my room-service meal!

:scared:
Old Dec 13th 2004, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

The current Christmas ad for Coca cola ... everyones drinking it out of bottles, someone even gets a bottle out of a coke machine. We havent seen coca cola in bottles for years !
Oh and that Old Navy Christmas ad Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Jan
Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
The current Christmas ad for Coca cola ... everyones drinking it out of bottles, someone even gets a bottle out of a coke machine. We havent seen coca cola in bottles for years !
Oh and that Old Navy Christmas ad Grrrrrrrrrrrr
Yeah, those adds really piss me off too, GAP and old navy shouldn't be allowed to advertise...
Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:12 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Two for me at the moment:

2. That one with the baldness treatment, in which the fat bloke with the man boobs goes "but here's the big question......do you think my barber will remember me?". There's just something utterly pathetic and witless about that one line that drives me up the bloody wall.

And further to the "do not attempt" in the Jeep ad, have you noticed that car ads often say "professional driver, closed course, do not attempt" even when the ad shows the car driving sedately along a city street??

Those three adverts annoy the shit out of me - especially the Cortislim - "if your overweight its not your fault" - of course its your fault! fat bastard.

That jeep commercial used to say - it is only safe to drop vehicles in commercials, then they changed it to do not attempt.

Others that annoy me are...

"I'm fifty and I can wear a bikini" - you have a huge pool, a house the size of kentucky and more plastic than my honda and you think its because of boflex? Come to the beach where I live next summer - fifty year old women are not afraid to wear bikinis - you may never get an erection again if you look at them though!

The advert for Smirnof where the woman headbutts the guy who keeps giving her the sad chat up lines. Is america the only country in the world that would advertise alcohol with violence?

The gimmicky beer commercials - Fresh beer, cold brewed beer - it doesnt ****ing matter - it still tastes like piss!

Who in their right mind uses rats to advertise food - eat at Quiznos - as recommended by the rats!

The Arbies slogan "What are you eating" I didn't know it was a ****ing guessing game, I was hoping it was beef but if you're asking you obviously think I think its beef!

The advert for sleeping pills warns "may induce drowsiness" - well I ****ing hope so or there would be no point in taking the bloody things.

Any alcohol advert advices "please drink responsibly" why? 1. Whats the point in that and 2. What do you care how we drink as long as we drink lots of your product. Whats next, McDonalds saying "please eat responsibly".

Would you join "an Army of One" - you'd have to do everything, guard duty, kitchen duty, fight illegal wars, when would you rest? And why does the US only have one soldier - the rate they are dying in Iraq it will be a self fulfilling prophecy!

Has anyone seen that advert for the new teeth flosser which advertises how easy it is by showing how difficult flossing your teeth is now! How ****ing retarded are these people that they have problems flossing their teeth! For petes sake if you can't floss your teeth you really shouldn't be let out the house without a helmet on.

That will teach you to ask what annoys me!!!!

Last edited by Patrick; Dec 13th 2004 at 1:14 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:21 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I think some of you may be watching too much US TV!

As for adverts that gross you out during mealtimes. Turn off the TV then!

In my household, when the adverts are on (which is way too often), this is the time when the person (usually my spouse) with the remote starts channel hopping so I don't usually see many adverts.

BTW- I heard that TIVO will now eliminate the function where you can record without adverts. Sounds like the death of TIVO is imminent. I thought one of the major benefits of TIVO was that you didn't get adverts in recordings...

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.