Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Address for US Bank Account

Address for US Bank Account

Old May 23rd 2013, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Address for US Bank Account

Originally Posted by Bob
They're not in MA/ME though...and we've got a south bay too....but I'm guessing the OP means CA?
Sorry, yup, I meant CA
Old May 23rd 2013, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

We have a "sort of" standing order type thing set up with chase to pay our rent to our private landlord, took a while to work out how to do it but it can be done.

We also pay all bills by electronic transfer, utilities, cable/TV, cell phones and car payments, we seem to be the exception among our US friends who write checks (cheques) for everything and they all wait for paper bills to arrive in the mail. Don't think we get any its all done online.

As we have chase credit cards we also pay them off online by transferring funds from the checking account.

The only time I really have to write a check is for school when the kids sign up for clubs or they have a school trip.
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notonuksoil
We have a "sort of" standing order type thing set up with chase to pay our rent to our private landlord, took a while to work out how to do it but it can be done.

We also pay all bills by electronic transfer, utilities, cable/TV, cell phones and car payments, we seem to be the exception among our US friends who write checks (cheques) for everything and they all wait for paper bills to arrive in the mail. Don't think we get any its all done online.

As we have chase credit cards we also pay them off online by transferring funds from the checking account.

The only time I really have to write a check is for school when the kids sign up for clubs or they have a school trip.
Much better to pay bills with your credit card...it's easier to stop payment when you no longer want the service. Unlike the UK it is not the bank that ceases payment...it's the supplier. If the supplier is slow cancelling...then payments are still taken out of your bank account.
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeavingLondon
thanks all. I guess I'm going to have to retrain my hand to start writing again as I have a feeling I'm going to be writing a lot of cheques. There's a Chase branch in San Jose and I heard they have quite a few ATMs in the area (link was broken so couldn't check it).

I'll check out Capital One/Capital One 360 too. Am so used to going online and transferring money to friends/services (and for no fee) etc whenever I want, it'll be strange not being able to do that any more. Hey ho. At least it'll be sunny whilst I'm writing my cheques/checks.

I'll also sort out a Global AMEX transfer once I have a residential address.

Or am I mad having 3 separate cards from 3 different banks? At home all my regular banking is with HSBC (credit and debit cards) plus I have a BA AMEX Card which is paid off in full by direct debit each month so it's all really simple and easy to manage.

As an aside, my kids' school have just introduced a Parent Pay service where you can now pay for school trips/lunches etc via a secure website at a click of the button (no more faffing around to get their account number and needing reminders of how much to pay - it's all listed on your individual homepage - a menu of what you owe and why). Am guessing you don't have that (yet) in the States?
Direct debt from your account can be done in the US but you have to authorize the company to do it (you must sign a paper authorizing them to withdraw the money). Usually this is done for utilities, HOA fees, etc. Electronic "Bill Pay" can be done from your account to most businesses without much of an effort and some businesses notify the bank of the monthly bill and you can indicate that you want that bill paid every month (similar to direct debt but no paperwork required since you are authorizing the bank to do it). The reason that both ways are done is that some companies (usually small companies such as your landlord) do not have a system in place to notify the bank monthly of the charge but if you physically sign a piece of paper, you authorize the company to direct debit any amount.

A lot of the procedures revolve around liability of the bank if something goes wrong. Capital One 360 is able to do Person to Person electronic transfers since you have to know the last four digits of their account number to do an electronic transfer and the person receiving the money will get an email asking for his account information before the transfer will be started. This limits Capital One 360's liability since you don't know the person's account number. Other banks usually issue a paper check and snail mail it when you transfer person to person.

The slowness of the US banking system is primarily because until the 1990s, the US banking system was state by state (banks could only do business in one state prior to the 1990s). The current system still isn't fast enough to tie all the banks and clearing house together to perform all the daily transactions immediately so if you want immediate transfers, you need to do a wire transfer at a significant cost. I think the system is similar to transferring between EU countries but faster since there is only one clearing house for all of the US.

I don't write any paper checks so it is useable electronically.

Some school districts may possibly have something similar to Parent Pay service but I don't know.

Last edited by Michael; May 23rd 2013 at 9:27 pm.
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Much better to pay bills with your credit card...it's easier to stop payment when you no longer want the service. Unlike the UK it is not the bank that ceases payment...it's the supplier. If the supplier is slow cancelling...then payments are still taken out of your bank account.
We've had this set up now since 2007 without any problems (touch wood!) have moved house twice in that time and changed car and phone providers too. We can stop/change payments online fairly easily. I guess everyone finds what works best for them but agree my British Airways credit card is my best friend
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening bank account - IRS doesn't believe our reason for US address is sufficien

Originally Posted by Orangepants
I would get a cashier check/bank draft from your UK bank rather than carry cash, from the safety aspect. The bank may ask to see source of funds so bring your bank statements to show where the funds are coming from, if you do carry cash. Address shouldn't be an issue.
One thing to bear in mind is that some banks put a hold on deposits when the account is less than 30 days old.

Also sometimes only the first $100 of certain types of deposit is available to you the next day and then you may have to wait days for the rest to be available.

Traveller's checks might actually be better. You wouldn't have to wait for anything to clear. Your account could be credited immediately. They can be replaced easily if lost or stolen. They are more like cash and can immediately be swapped for cash. You can even use them as checks to pay bills.
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening bank account - IRS doesn't believe our reason for US address is sufficien

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
One thing to bear in mind is that some banks put a hold on deposits when the account is less than 30 days old.

Also sometimes only the first $100 of certain types of deposit is available to you the next day and then you may have to wait days for the rest to be available.

Traveller's checks might actually be better. You wouldn't have to wait for anything to clear. Your account could be credited immediately. They can be replaced easily if lost or stolen. They are more like cash and can immediately be swapped for cash. You can even use them as checks to pay bills.
In my opinion, electronic transfer is the best. Traveler's checks are a pain and a cashier's check can be a forgery and one issued from Europe will likely have a long hold but an electronic transfer through someone like XE.COM is fairly inexpensive, quick, and is available as soon as the money is in your account.
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notonuksoil
We've had this set up now since 2007 without any problems (touch wood!) have moved house twice in that time and changed car and phone providers too. We can stop/change payments online fairly easily. I guess everyone finds what works best for them but agree my British Airways credit card is my best friend
I pay as much as I can in the UK with my BA Amex card (my hubby and I have separate accounts that way we get 2 companion vouchers each year) so as everyone accepts AMEX in the States am hoping the miles will come rolling in! I guess it makes sense to have separate accounts in the Us too for that same reason.
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I pay as much as I can in the UK with my BA Amex card (my hubby and I have separate accounts that way we get 2 companion vouchers each year) so as everyone accepts AMEX in the States am hoping the miles will come rolling in! I guess it makes sense to have separate accounts in the Us too for that same reason.
Not everyone accepts AMEX in the US. Almost all that accept credit cards accept VISA and MasterCard with many also accepting Discover but AMEX is the forth most likely accepted card.
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Michael
Not everyone accepts AMEX in the US. Almost all that accept credit cards accept VISA and MasterCard with many also accepting Discover but AMEX is the forth most likely accepted card.
Darn it! I want my miles!
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In the US, AMEX charges the merchant more than Discover and Discover charges more than VISA and MasterCard.
Old May 23rd 2013, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ba/...sea/na/BAChase

When we got ours it was a 100,000 miles sign up bonus, have seen it a few times but not recently. You can usually negotiate the annual fee too. We didn't pay it the first few years.
Old May 23rd 2013, 10:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely notice a lot of smaller, indie type stores not accepting it and especially in quieter towns/tourist areas.
Old May 24th 2013, 2:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I have no doubt that is true, but back when my card of choice was an Amex card, it was rarely not accepted - ALL major retailers and restaurants accepted it.
Old May 24th 2013, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

In my opinion, electronic transfer is the best. Traveler's checks are a pain and a cashier's check can be a forgery and one issued from Europe will likely have a long hold but an electronic transfer through someone like XE.COM is fairly inexpensive, quick, and is available as soon as the money is in your account.
Yes, I didn't mean traveller's checks instead of electronic transfer. Normally when someone moves they take money in various forms. I meant traveller's checks instead of taking cash or a cashier's check (which was the suggestion I was responding to). If someone needs immediate access to cash then an electronic transfer isn't going to help if the receiving bank account hasn't been set up yet.

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 24th 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.