British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   "Address not found" error (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/address-not-found-error-347776/)

tony126 Jan 11th 2006 10:19 pm

"Address not found" error

All of a sudden I seem to be getting this many many times on bookmarks and general applications. Anyone with any ideas what to do? I have a firewall and anti-virus installed, XP ETC. I use Firefox but also get it on IE. Before the obvious is mentioned I am not that IT literate.

franc11s Jan 11th 2006 10:22 pm

Re: "Address not found" error

Originally Posted by tony126
All of a sudden I seem to be getting this many many times on bookmarks and general applications. Anyone with any ideas what to do? I have a firewall and anti-virus installed, XP ETC. I use Firefox but also get it on IE. Before the obvious is mentioned I am not that IT literate.

It might be your ISP (Service Provider). It's unlikely to be your Virus s/w or firewall since they nearly always either work or don't work - black and white.

For intermittent problems, hang in there or call your ISP and ask if they are having network problems.

How long has this been happening?

anotherlimey Jan 11th 2006 10:23 pm

Ask your ISP if they're having DNS problems.

gruffbrown Jan 11th 2006 10:23 pm

Error your reply to Tony126 was returned -address not found

tony126 Jan 11th 2006 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s
It might be your ISP (Service Provider). It's unlikely to be your Virus s/w or firewall since they nearly always either work or don't work - black and white.

For intermittent problems, hang in there or call your ISP and ask if they are having network problems.

How long has this been happening?

Basically it has been noticeable the last 3 days or so. I thought it would right itself but I have now reached the pissed feeling. I will contact my ISP to see if they know anything. Thanks.

dunroving Jan 11th 2006 11:39 pm

Basically it has been noticeable the last 3 days or so. I thought it would right itself but I have now reached the pissed feeling. I will contact my ISP to see if they know anything. Thanks.

Sounds silly, but try disconnecting the power to your cable internet modem. Leave it for a minute or two and then reconnect.

Hope it works. My cable co. suggested it and it works every time, pretty much.

Duncan Roberts Jan 12th 2006 12:06 pm

I agree with dunroving. I get that sometimes, turn off your computer, unplug your modem for 30 seconds or so then plug it back in and turn on your puter. Usually clears up any problems for me.
What you could do is when things are working fine, click start > run and type cmd <enter> when the window pops up type ipconfig <enter> and make a note of the numbers that show. When you are having problems do the same thing and see if anything has changed.

If you call up your ISP make sure you have emptied you temp internet files and all that jazz as that is their first step to fix any internet related problem!

tony126 Jan 12th 2006 1:25 pm

Thanks again everyone for the advice. I done the unplugging routine etc and also re-installed my Belkin WLan. Seems to have put things right at the moment.

fatbrit Jan 12th 2006 1:33 pm

Thanks again everyone for the advice. I done the unplugging routine etc and also re-installed my Belkin WLan. Seems to have put things right at the moment.

It's a good routine to reboot everything regularly. I do it weekly, but anything upto monthly is probably okay. Combine it with a few housekeeping task as well such as clearing the crap of the disks and checking Windows update.

tony126 Jan 12th 2006 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's a good routine to reboot everything regularly. I do it weekly, but anything upto monthly is probably okay. Combine it with a few housekeeping task as well such as clearing the crap of the disks and checking Windows update.

Updating is done automatically(?) and I clear out my temp files regularly but have learned something from the switching on/off. Never too late to teach an old dog new lessons. :D