British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Address change on US passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/address-change-us-passport-646377/)

bhola Dec 28th 2009 4:43 pm

Address change on US passport

due to re-location within the USA my permanent address has changed. My passport has old residential address.

Do I have to get the address changed on my US passport? if yes, how?

Thanks

bhola

Bluegrass Lass Dec 28th 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Address change on US passport

I'm a native US cit, and I've moved about 7 times since I got my passport 7 years ago. I've never updated my address with anyone. Was not aware of any need to do so.

meauxna Dec 28th 2009 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by bhola (Post 8201364)
due to re-location within the USA my permanent address has changed. My passport has old residential address.

Do I have to get the address changed on my US passport? if yes, how?

Thanks

bhola

Get an eraser and change it at the front of your passport, per the instructions.
Page 7.

There is no requirement to have a home address on file with the US State Dept. so no, you do not have to get the address changed.

bhola Dec 28th 2009 5:27 pm

I am not a native US citizen. I am a family based immigrant, but I am a US passport holder now due to naturalization.

Bluegrass Lass Dec 28th 2009 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by bhola (Post 8201522)
I am not a native US citizen. I am a family based immigrant, but I am a US passport holder now due to naturalization.

BHola, you are now a US citizen. It doesn't matter if you are naturalized or native. You do not have to update anyone with your address now. There is no one for you to notify. You are free to move wherever, whenever without notifying anyone. Enjoy the freedom.

bhola Dec 28th 2009 5:48 pm

Thank you for the info...

But do I have to change my address on DMV license and social security card???

Bluegrass Lass Dec 28th 2009 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by bhola (Post 8201552)
Thank you for the info...

But do I have to change my address on DMV license and social security card???

You do need to update the address on your driver's license. At least, we have to in the state I live in. As far as social security, I've never updated anything with them either. I've moved about 10 times since I was eligible to work (starting when I was 16) and they've always managed to find me based on my W-2 from my employer.

meauxna Dec 28th 2009 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by bhola (Post 8201522)

You're a US citizen now, same as me. :)
(IE it makes no difference and I just looked, my naturalized husband never filled his address in on his US passport).

bhola Dec 28th 2009 7:18 pm

Thanks for the info.

Having gone through K1 visa process, I am used to filling up forms and providing documents. Can not believe, now i dont have to.

Ok, I will go to DMV to get my address updated.

bevinva Dec 28th 2009 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by bhola (Post 8201727)
Thanks for the info.

Having gone through K1 visa process, I am used to filling up forms and providing documents. Can not believe, now i dont have to.

Ok, I will go to DMV to get my address updated.

You might be able to update your address online.

Bluegrass Lass Dec 28th 2009 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by bevinva (Post 8201814)
You might be able to update your address online.

I've always had to get a brand new license that reflects my current address. Obviously every state will be different, so hopefully Bhola will look into what he/she needs to do.

Bob Dec 28th 2009 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 8201895)
I've always had to get a brand new license that reflects my current address. Obviously every state will be different, so hopefully Bhola will look into what he/she needs to do.

one bonus about mass....they send you a naff sticker that goes on the back of the license...license is only valid for 6 or 7 years anwyay.

Bluegrass Lass Dec 28th 2009 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8202053)
olicense is only valid for 6 or 7 years anwyay.

Ours is only good for 4!

lansbury Dec 28th 2009 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8201601)
( I just looked, my naturalized husband never filled his address in on his US passport).

good for him we're British we don't conform. :thumbup:

I'm not putting my address in my passport so the Feds know where I live. Especially as it's an electronic one and transmits its whereabouts all the time. :thumbsup:

meauxna Dec 28th 2009 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 8202163)
good for him we're British we don't conform. :thumbup:

I'm not putting my address in my passport so the Feds know where I live. Especially as it's an electronic one and transmits its whereabouts all the time. :thumbsup:

beep beep beep... I know, I'm watching it now. :D
(he avoided the electro one by going up to Seattle for it)