Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Additional evidence after interview HELP

Additional evidence after interview HELP

Old Mar 24th 2005, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

nguyenvoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Additional evidence after interview HELP

I need some serious help please. We went through the fiance process with no problems whatsoever. But her cousin who is going through the same thing is having a little problem. So I was wondering if anyone here can help us out. His fiance has gone through the interview at the U.S. Consulate in Vietnam. All financial support is ok, but what is needed is additional evidence of relationship. She was given a blue form to provide additional evidence of relationship in the form of U.S. immigration "section 221". Here is the attach explanation.

Petitioner: In a sworn statement, please provide a time-line of your relationship. Please explain clearly when and how you first met, how you were introduced, when you began corresponding with each other, when you felt your relationship became serious, when you decided to propose, and under what circumstances ( location, time, place, situation, setting, ect.) Did you propose in person? over the phone? where was your fiance when you proposed ( the exact location) Answer immediately or ask time to think about it? if you did not officialy propose, when did you first discuss marriage? Please give as many details as possible, please submit evidence of your relationship PRIOR to your engagement, please make sure you arrange this evidence in chronological order.

He has already sent home a letter explaining how they met, when they met and how they became engage with each other. When she brought the letter back in, the person who took the letter said that "it wasnt enough or not how they wanted it". All evidence of their relationship, including phone bills, pictures, and email was given to her for the initial interview.
So my question is, if that is not enough what steps can we go from here to get this resolved and who can we contact for additional help. I gave him the phone number to the consulate in Vietnam to call for additional information. He lives in North Carolina and I dont know of any lawyers there. Please let me know what you guys think we should do from this point. Thank you
Old Mar 24th 2005, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Additional evidence after interview HELP

Originally Posted by nguyenvoo
I need some serious help please. We went through the fiance process with no problems whatsoever. But her cousin who is going through the same thing is having a little problem. So I was wondering if anyone here can help us out. His fiance has gone through the interview at the U.S. Consulate in Vietnam. All financial support is ok, but what is needed is additional evidence of relationship. She was given a blue form to provide additional evidence of relationship in the form of U.S. immigration "section 221". Here is the attach explanation.

Petitioner: In a sworn statement, please provide a time-line of your relationship. Please explain clearly when and how you first met, how you were introduced, when you began corresponding with each other, when you felt your relationship became serious, when you decided to propose, and under what circumstances ( location, time, place, situation, setting, ect.) Did you propose in person? over the phone? where was your fiance when you proposed ( the exact location) Answer immediately or ask time to think about it? if you did not officialy propose, when did you first discuss marriage? Please give as many details as possible, please submit evidence of your relationship PRIOR to your engagement, please make sure you arrange this evidence in chronological order.

He has already sent home a letter explaining how they met, when they met and how they became engage with each other. When she brought the letter back in, the person who took the letter said that "it wasnt enough or not how they wanted it". All evidence of their relationship, including phone bills, pictures, and email was given to her for the initial interview.
So my question is, if that is not enough what steps can we go from here to get this resolved and who can we contact for additional help. I gave him the phone number to the consulate in Vietnam to call for additional information. He lives in North Carolina and I dont know of any lawyers there. Please let me know what you guys think we should do from this point. Thank you
It's hard to determine without knowing what type of information and answers were provided. Did he provide information which shows that they had met in person within the past 2 years? Phone bills and email don't prove that. What about evidence of a trip to meet?
Old Mar 24th 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

Originally Posted by bionomique
It's hard to determine without knowing what type of information and answers were provided. Did he provide information which shows that they had met in person within the past 2 years? Phone bills and email don't prove that. What about evidence of a trip to meet?
Also it says "in a sworn statement". Did he sign it, date it, put the correct wording in, and even get someone to witness it? They may be considering his a letter rather than a sworn statement, and therefore not what they asked for.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 4:09 am
Just Joined

From the information that he told me, I would have to find out more in detail. But the letter that he sent was somewhat of a sworn statement. He went to have it notarized by someone. He also had his ant, who is living in vietnam write a sworn statement stating when he came to visit and how he met her. they had pictures of them going on small trips together, since he only stayed there for 1 month. I will update once I find out what the consulate have to say when he calls them to ask for further information.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:09 am
Jonathan McNeil Wong

nguyenvoo wrote:
    >>Also it says "in a sworn statement". Did he sign it, date it, put the
    >>correct wording in, and even get someone to witness it? They may be
    >>considering his a letter rather than a sworn statement, and therefore
    >>not what they asked for.
    >
    >
    > From the information that he told me, I would have to find out more in
    > detail. But the letter that he sent was somewhat of a sworn statement.
    > He went to have it notarized by someone. He also had his ant, who is
    > living in vietnam write a sworn statement stating when he came to visit
    > and how he met her. they had pictures of them going on small trips
    > together, since he only stayed there for 1 month. I will update once I
    > find out what the consulate have to say when he calls them to ask for
    > further information.
    >

A "sworn statement" means an affidavit or its equivalent, a declaration
under penalty of perjury.

"Notarize" is rather an ambiguous term. In the U.S., one can have a
notarial "acknowledgment", which is a notarial certificate that the
person who signed is who he or she says she is; or a notarial "jurat",
which is a notarial certificate that the person was placed under oath
and that the statements made are true. You need the second type of
"notarization."

Don't Fight City Hall. Give them exactly what they want: a detailed
statement of how they met with a timeline and detailed description of
events.

--
Above intended as general commentary, not specific legal
advice. Your mileage may vary.

================================================== =============
Jonathan McNeil Wong Voice: 510-451-0544
Donahue Gallagher Woods LLP Facsimile: 510-832-1486
P.O. Box 12979 URL: http://www.donahue.com
Oakland, CA 94604-2979 E-mail: [email protected]
================================================== =============

Old Mar 27th 2005, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nguyenvoo
From the information that he told me, I would have to find out more in detail. But the letter that he sent was somewhat of a sworn statement. He went to have it notarized by someone. He also had his ant, who is living in vietnam write a sworn statement stating when he came to visit and how he met her. they had pictures of them going on small trips together, since he only stayed there for 1 month. I will update once I find out what the consulate have to say when he calls them to ask for further information.
Sworn statements from family are one element. I'd think that it might be good to provide actual evidence of the trip, such as airplane tickets, travel agent's itinerary, boarding passes, hotel bills, car rentals, copy of passport page showing the entry stamp etc.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

If you guys didnt catch it, I stated that the proof that he went back to visit her was included with the materials for the initial interview. I think he might have thrown away the air ticket (he didnt know he needed it). But I think he did however provide his passport that showed that he was in Vietnam at that given time.

And to Jonathan, where can he go to get the notarial "jurat". If you can point him to the right direction that would be great. Thanks. I am helping him this weekend in forming a timeline type letter from the first day he got off the plane to the day he left. Hopefully it works this time.