Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Additional: Disappointed Fiancee

Additional: Disappointed Fiancee

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

thuan001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Additional: Disappointed Fiancee

I was under the impression that she has only 60 days to enter the US. Yes, one of the reasons for the delay is that we were together for only 2 weeks. She made a comment about USA being in a state of war, and it might not be the best time to come here. Therefore, I told her she better be ready to leave Hong Kong when the visa is issued. Hong Kong has never been in a war for decades, and I understand her apprehension. I live very near where the last anthrax exposure was televised. She knew it was close to my home.

Originally posted by Michael Voight:
I still don't understand why you wanted to delay the K-1 by two months on the grounds
that you didn't want her to be left with a starving student. She has 6 months to
enter the US after she gets the visa, which will probably take at least 6 months.
Note: I am referring to the reason you gave for the K-1 delay. I would think that
knowing someone for only 2 weeks would be reasonable enough for a delay.

thuan001 wrote:
    > Harry,
    > Thanks for telling me about your ex-wife. That was nice of you to share that with
    > us. To put everything in perspective, I am 31 years old. I never met a girl that I
    > really fell in love with until I met this girl. Considering that I am 31 years old,
    > when will I find another opportunity where a girl is willing to marry me? To be
    > frank, I don't receive that many marriage proposals. American girls are interested
    > in tall men, however I am considered short. Yes, it was a dumb move to promise her
    > a BMW on my part. She lives in Hong Kong, so it is not a part of the world where
    > rich men are rare. Mercedes and BMW automobiles are as common as Toyotas. But, I
    > fell head over heel when I met her, so I foolishly made some stupid promises. At
    > any rate, she called me yesterday and agreed to sign the prenup. She said that she
    > was just looking for a honest man to marry, and she agreed that if she ever leaves
    > me in the United States, she will leave empty handed. According to her, she is not
    > into money, but just a better life with a good husband.
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 12:29 am
Morkai Kurst

The K1 visa is valid for 6 months after it is issued, once you enter the US you
activate the visa and then have to be married within 90 days of entry.

Morkai

thuan001 wrote:
    > I was under the impression that she has only 60 days to enter the US. Yes, one of
    > the reasons for the delay is that we were together for only 2 weeks. She made a
    > comment about USA being in a state of war, and it might not be the best time to
    > come here. Therefore, I told her she better be ready to leave Hong Kong when the
    > visa is issued. Hong Kong has never been in a war for decades, and I understand her
    > apprehension. I live very near where the last anthrax exposure was televised. She
    > knew it was close to my home.

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

mailmena is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yeah.. the first couple months in a relationship as I remember is the most exciting time. You just started to get to know someone and you have all these good conversations-spending hours on the phone or do many fun things together. Later reality kicks in that's when you really know how the person is.
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

gardencity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Harry:
Thuan,
The way I see it, if you have enough doubts to require a prenup, then don't do it yet. Marriage is an extremely big deal, it is meant to be for life, and you just can't enter into something like that if you have doubts. .....
<snip>
... for God's sake, leave the money out of it! Anyway, just my 2c. Hope it works out well for you.
-Harry
Harry, I couldn't agree more with your point here! Glad you found 'true love' the second time around

On prenups - Personally, I am in awe of the trend of marriage unions 'based on prenups'. If it were for reasons of 'maintaining or retaining' the sanctity of a business entity, like in the case of Paul McCartney, that is quite understandable. In other cases, it smacks so strongly of being calculative and having a lack of confidence and trust for each other - a very important corner stone of a successful marriage.

Then again, what do I know? Mars/Venus is an ever-evolving issue and none is the wiser, I guess.

IMHO.
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 1:51 am
Mrtravel

thuan001 wrote:
    > I was under the impression that she has only 60 days to enter the US.

Nope.. 6 months.

> Yes, one of the reasons for the delay is that we were together for only 2 weeks.

Then say so, don't bring up this starving student nonsense.

She made a comment about USA being in a state of war, and it
    > might not be the best time to come here.

What was your reply?? You live here, does it seem warlike to you?

> Therefore, I told her she better be ready to leave Hong Kong when the visa is
> issued. Hong Kong has never been in a war for decades, and I understand her
> apprehension.

No, it peacefully went to China. Did you tell her there was no war here?/

> I live very near where the last anthrax exposure was televised. She knew it was
    > close to my home.

Wasn't this Anthrax thing quite some time ago? As I recall, only a handful of people
died or were even affected by Anthrax in the US last year. This makes it
statistically insignificant.

This is rather weird. Are you suggesting you jointly decided to delay the filing due
to Anthrax?

Of course you originally posting made no hint of this.

Pick a story, will you?

Old Sep 4th 2002, 1:19 am
Mark O

Just to throw in a comment... we are all bound by a "prenup" even if we don't
write one. It's call the law of our State. The State legislators came up with rules
that Judges are supposed to follow in the case of divorce. Most people who get
divorced don't even know this, then both sides pay their hard earned money to lawyers
to hold their hand through the process of having their belongings split up by some
Judge who is following some laws written by people who don't even know you!

When YOU write a prenup, you are simply making the decision work ahead of time.
About 48 States have written new law to allow for prenups.

Look at it this way. It's just one more way to keep government out of your business
and keep YOUR business within your control. I'm amazed at how sensitive this
subject is and how people seem to think that by writing a prenup it somehow
undermines the issue of love. Sure, if it is slanted unfairly tward one party, it
isn't fair, but the legislature has written laws to protect for that. (leave it to a
full time set of law makers... )

Mark "gardencity" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Harry:
    > > Thuan, The way I see it, if you have enough doubts to require a prenup, then
    > > don't do it yet. Marriage is an extremely big deal, it is meant to be for life,
    > > and you just can't enter into something like that if you have doubts. .....
    > >
    > > ... for God's sake, leave the money out of it! Anyway, just my 2c. Hope it works
    > > out well for you. -Harry
    > Harry, I couldn't agree more with your point here! Glad you found 'true love' the
    > second time around
    > On prenups - Personally, I am in awe of the trend of marriage unions 'based on
    > prenups'. If it were for reasons of 'maintaining or retaining' the sanctity of a
    > business entity, like in the case of Paul McCartney, that is quite understandable.
    > In other cases, it smacks so strongly of being calculative and having a lack of
    > confidence and trust for each other - a very important corner stone of a successful
    > marriage.
    > Then again, what do I know? Mars/Venus is an ever-evolving issue and none is the
    > wiser, I guess.
    > IMHO.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 4th 2002, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

gardencity is an unknown quantity at this point

All the more making 'prenup' ineffective and un-necessary.

Originally posted by Mark O:
Just to throw in a comment... we are all bound by a "prenup" even if we don't
write one. It's call the law of our State. The State legislators came up with rules
that Judges are supposed to follow in the case of divorce. Most people who get
divorced don't even know this, then both sides pay their hard earned money to lawyers
to hold their hand through the process of having their belongings split up by some
Judge who is following some laws written by people who don't even know you!

When YOU write a prenup, you are simply making the decision work ahead of time.
About 48 States have written new law to allow for prenups.

Look at it this way. It's just one more way to keep government out of your business
and keep YOUR business within your control. I'm amazed at how sensitive this
subject is and how people seem to think that by writing a prenup it somehow
undermines the issue of love. Sure, if it is slanted unfairly tward one party, it
isn't fair, but the legislature has written laws to protect for that. (leave it to a
full time set of law makers... )

Mark "gardencity" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Harry:
    > > Thuan, The way I see it, if you have enough doubts to require a prenup, then
    > > don't do it yet. Marriage is an extremely big deal, it is meant to be for life,
    > > and you just can't enter into something like that if you have doubts. .....
    > >
    > > ... for God's sake, leave the money out of it! Anyway, just my 2c. Hope it works
    > > out well for you. -Harry
    > Harry, I couldn't agree more with your point here! Glad you found 'true love' the
    > second time around
    > On prenups - Personally, I am in awe of the trend of marriage unions 'based on
    > prenups'. If it were for reasons of 'maintaining or retaining' the sanctity of a
    > business entity, like in the case of Paul McCartney, that is quite understandable.
    > In other cases, it smacks so strongly of being calculative and having a lack of
    > confidence and trust for each other - a very important corner stone of a successful
    > marriage.
    > Then again, what do I know? Mars/Venus is an ever-evolving issue and none is the
    > wiser, I guess.
    > IMHO.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com