British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Adding oversea's relatives to car insurance (USA) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/adding-overseas-relatives-car-insurance-usa-768420/)

kcbrit Aug 15th 2012 2:04 pm

Adding oversea's relatives to car insurance (USA)

Hi, I've tried searching but nothing came up on this topic. In the US for 5 years and have been insuring visiting relatives (father, brother so close family) to drive my cars through GMAC Insurance. On renewing they now tell me that unless they live at my address (permanently) they will not be insured.
Anyone know of Insurance companies that offer this? The visits can be 3 months long so it's too expensive to rent for that time.
Based Minnesota if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Mr Weeze Aug 15th 2012 2:13 pm

Re: Adding oversea's relatives to car insurance (USA)

We have done it using 21st Century, via AIG/Chartis inbound travelguard.

No issues doing it that way, but it does cost $440 per annum to have the service. However, it should in theory mean 21st Century are at least capable of doing it...

kcbrit Aug 15th 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks for the quick reply - I'll call them today!

Mummy in the foothills Aug 15th 2012 2:28 pm

Ours only allowed visitors with a valid California license. Then only if they visited for less than a month. After that I'd have to add them to the insurance. What a pain.

civilservant Aug 15th 2012 2:44 pm

Im on my wifes insurance while still in the UK (Progressive I believe) and it actually lowered her premium. Figure that out.

shorrock Aug 15th 2012 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by kcbrit (Post 10228708)
Anyone know of Insurance companies that offer this?

I am covered via www.mutualofenumclaw.com I asked them recently as I had friends coming over from Aus.

Their response was, no need to add them. My insurance covers them and anybody else. They said my policy covers a driver who doesn't have insurance to cover driving somebody elses car. e.g if there own car insurance covers driving my car, they would claim on that policy. if it doesn't or they don't have a policy then my insurance would cover any costs.

No time limits involved and I did mention they were coming from overseas and wouldn't have a USA driving license

Been with these guys for 5 years. No issues, but haven't made a claim. ~$1200 for a VW passat and Volvo xc90 for 12 months fully comp.

kcbrit Aug 15th 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks to everyone who has replied so quickly! I've got some calling to do!

lisa67 Aug 15th 2012 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by kcbrit (Post 10229368)
Thanks to everyone who has replied so quickly! I've got some calling to do!

Our Allstate insurance covers my parents when they visit.

Noorah101 Aug 16th 2012 1:00 am

I always thought the insurance was on the car, not the people, no matter who was driving?

Rene

lisa67 Aug 16th 2012 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10229675)
I always thought the insurance was on the car, not the people, no matter who was driving?

Rene

Agreed. I should have written that my insurance covers anyone who I give permission to drive my car :):thumbsup:

Bob Aug 16th 2012 7:16 pm

Rene

It usually is, but depending on the state, they might have driving license requirements that johnny foreigner might not meet.

Manc Aug 16th 2012 9:37 pm

Rene

correct in most states.

unless expressely excluded.

Noorah101 Aug 16th 2012 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 10231232)
correct in most states.

unless expressely excluded.

That's what I thought, thus wondering why the OP had the question.

Rene

COB76 Aug 16th 2012 11:59 pm

My USC partner added me to her insurance with State Farm without issue online. They have the option for selecting foreign driving licence. If you have someone that visits regularly this will probably be cheaper.

The previous insurance company advised us say the OH had something in her eye if we got pulled over. Didn't particularly want to test that.

Mr Weeze Sep 29th 2012 8:37 pm

Anyone any knowledge on Geico's stance on this? My insurance is due and they are $100/6 months cheaper than AIG now I have history (plus I won't have to spend another $440).