adapting?

Old Mar 19th 2014, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: adapting?

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I know in the US, I can say what I want, where I want (as long as I'm not inciting a panic or riot) and not worry about being thrown in jail. Even if my opinion doesn't agree with the mainstream.
I agree - hateful as one's opinion might be - you're free to express it
Old Mar 19th 2014, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

That's funny. That's one of the reasons why I and my husband want to return back to the US. The massive amount of PCness here in the UK...
I go back and forth regularly...I think the PC aspect is far worse in the US, particularly in politics where one has to be careful about offending certain demographic/cultural groups. It often prevents open honest discussion.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 11:07 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drangie
Ok, now something, perhaps, strange...I left UK in 2005 and never thought I will miss it. Mainly, because I am naturalized UK (born in mainland Europe) with 2 kids graduated from Westminster School in London. But I find myself really offended when people knock British, when they talk about "teeth", education, football, generally everything. I miss British people, all of them, from North to South. People in the USA don't understand the humour, don't really understand what freedom of speech is...I miss it.
Just like I'm sure it pisses Americans off when people make generalisations about them. Much like you've just done above.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 11:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graduc
.... with the winter Olympics this year I supported the UK more than the USA. ....
I'm wondering what Norman Tebbit would say?

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 20th 2014 at 12:00 am.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
I go back and forth regularly...I think the PC aspect is far worse in the US, particularly in politics where one has to be careful about offending certain demographic/cultural groups. It often prevents open honest discussion.
I agree, though sometimes I wonder if it is more that the media is telling people that they should be offended.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

That's funny. That's one of the reasons why I and my husband want to return back to the US. The massive amount of PCness here in the UK, not to mention things that can be turned into racist hate speech which you can be arrested for, scares the crap out of me. At least I know in the US, I can say what I want, where I want (as long as I'm not inciting a panic or riot) and not worry about being thrown in jail. Even if my opinion doesn't agree with the mainstream.
Really?
Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graduc
Hello everyone i am new to this forum and i have questions
I was born in the UK and lived there for 48 years. Since living in the USA i have adapted to the way of life and enjoy it with my wife who is an American
I only visit the UK for my Mother i will never live there again but i still find it hard to give my heritage especially when people knock it and i find it hard to put on a T shirt with the USA on it. So what do you do? I am a citizen. with the winter olympics this year i supported the UK more than the USA is this normal

Thanks for listening
I must admit, I've been very fortunate. In my life I've lived in a number of different countries, most of them with the RAF, and have always adapted well and enjoyed every one of them. I've been here in the USA 11 years now, got my citizenship over a year ago, and visit the UK occasionally to see family and attend to business. It's strange, and I don't know why it is, but whenever I go back it's always the negatives that strike me the most, from the minute I land -- the cesspit and surly staff that is Heathrow, the queues everywhere from the minute you hit car rental, the M25, the cameras everywhere, the tiny parking spaces they give you (and that you have to pay for almost every one), the PCSOs hiding behind walls to catch people out! The odd general positives that hit me, just never seem to outweigh the negatives, and I generally can't wait to get back. I'm sure if I was on Freud's couch it would mean something, or maybe I Just read the Daily Mail too much!
Old Mar 20th 2014, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's just the places you go back to?

I know when I land at Edinburgh and chat to the lovely staff the welcome makes me glad to be home. And when I pick up a car and head North into the Highlands, or the pubs/restaurants of Edinburgh/Glasgow...sheer bliss. Like putting on an old glove...