Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Accommodation in NYC

Accommodation in NYC

Old May 16th 2017, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accommodation in NYC

Originally Posted by viitav
Furnished is so much easier but looking at a more positive side of things at least you know you'll get your deposit back when you leave - UK Landlords have a tendency of trying their hardest to keep it lol.
Where did you find the second place from the owner? I've been looking at Zillow and StreetEasy and theres lots of no fee's on there.
We found them on craigslist.

We were lucky we got our rent deposit back pretty easily. Getting our nursery deposit back was another thing. We just got that back yesterday, though my son's last day was on Oct 28th and we had informed them in August of our departure. Sorry for the rant!
Old May 16th 2017, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh see I spoke about Craigslist to OH (USC) and he said it's super dodgy LOL.. He worries that our money will be taken and that we'll get nowhere.

Thats awful about your nursery! Why did it take so long!

Did you do DCF or did you file from the US?
Old May 16th 2017, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea I suppose craigslist can be dodgy. There are legit ads on there though.
The nursery said their policy states deposits are returned in 6 months, so I suppose that's why. A policy that makes no sense.
Neither my husband nor I are citizens, just the kid. My husband's company transferred him to the UK and then back so we got H-1B/H4 at the US embassy in London. Then the company I was working for in London, which is a US company, did an L-1A for me and I changed my status within the US. We're now in the adjustment of status to green cards process.
Old May 16th 2017, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute

They want to hold onto the interest of the money OR they don't have it readily available.
Very odd!

Ahh thats amazing! I'll be transferring with work to our NY office however i'm applying for a CR-1 to get my green card. Hoping it doesn't take forever to process!
Old May 16th 2017, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viitav
I've seen a lot of no fee and a free month! Looks like a great deal lol..
I've also heard its now very much like over here.. One month down and one months deposit - was this the same for you?

I'll be transferring to my US office so i'll have an employment letter and my hubby is going back to his old role so both employed. Lets hope that works out for us too.

I've also seen them say the whole visa in the hand thing however as soon as I have the visa we are planning to leave - flights will quadruple and accomidation non existent. I think i'm going to take the gamble. Once I get my embassy interview date i'll start booking places. How long were you in a airbnb and how long to get into your apartment? I'm not sure a month in a airbnb looking for a place will be long enough..
Its crazy how you can't get furnished places anywhere really so we'll be in the exact same position as you LOL!
Hey, we had airbnb for ~18 nights, best and longest we could find at the time in the area and for the dates. Actually there was nothing available then one popped up, so we nabbed it immediately.

Was a risk, but we arrived very late Wednesday, by Friday had searched for some ideas, on sat we did some walk-ins then went back Sunday to see new apartment just available. Liked it so applied, took secured deposit checks following weekend after application was successful. Move in date was the 12th, when it was first available, we'd first looked about 12 days previously. I think it would have gone quickly had we not applied straight away before it was advertised, so was a lucky find. Apartment available 12th, our airbnb last day was to 14th, pretty sweet, but lucky.

Didn't think we'd find somewhere so quickly that we liked so much. Did think it would have taken longer and run right up to the end. It helped that I'd already looked at apartments recently and so kinda knew what to expect and when to grab a good deal vs. sit on it for too long.

Unfurnished is a pain initially but after a couple of weeks you get what you need and it's nice to have your own stuff

For future reference a $20 inflatable matress served well until the real one turned up. We got the bedding we wanted and sufficed on the inflatable just on the floor as a stop gap. Worked out well for a few days to bridge the gap. Was a bit like being a student all over again though 😂 but the new matress is amazing, talk about appreciating what you don't have 😄

Last edited by LouisB; May 16th 2017 at 11:42 pm.
Old May 16th 2017, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fbf2006
I just remembered I heard on NPR recently about people being fined for advertising rentals on airbnb for less than 30 days. I think it's now illegal in NYC.
http://nypost.com/2016/10/21/cuomo-signs-off-on-tighter-restrictions-for-airbnb/
And doesn't everyone want to rent on airbnb for less than 30 days due to some renters rights that kick in after 30 days?

Even with that law we struggled to find anywhere long stay at all. Nothing over 30 days.
Old May 16th 2017, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think in the UK they have made deposits illegal.

This NY apartment has nice hardwood floor throughout. After doing the walkthrough we carefully double checked and photographed any marks and scratches ourselves too. Not that there are many but I don't want to lose deposit over stuff not down to us.

Moving new sofa around last night we were super careful. In fact it is now sitting on some cardboard it came in, just under the feet, just in case...
Old May 17th 2017, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Five of New York's counties are each coextensive with New York City's five boroughs and do not have county governments. They are: New York County (Manhattan), Kings County (Brooklyn), Bronx County (The Bronx), Richmond County (Staten Island), and Queens County (Queens).
The counties are state entities. The boroughs are city entities. There are 5 NYC boroughs - and they have the same boundaries as the 5 corresponding state counties. For example, Richmond (which you originally listed as a borough) is a state county (not a borough). Staten Island is the corresponding city borough.

New York City Counties | City of New York

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 17th 2017 at 1:10 pm.
Old May 17th 2017, 1:27 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The counties are state entities. The boroughs are city entities. There are 5 NYC boroughs - and they have the same boundaries as the 5 corresponding state counties. For example, Richmond (which you originally listed as a borough) is a state county (not a borough). Staten Island is the corresponding city borough.

New York City Counties | City of New York
Yes, but the borough was called Richmond, not Staten Island, until the mid-seventies. Rete is an old-time New Yorker and names stick -- for instance, Citifield will always be Shea Stadium to most New Yorkers! For me, there will always be three Ridings in Yorkshire, screw government reorganization!
Old May 17th 2017, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Yes, but the borough was called Richmond, not Staten Island, until the mid-seventies. Rete is an old-time New Yorker and names stick -- for instance, Citifield will always be Shea Stadium to most New Yorkers! For me, there will always be three Ridings in Yorkshire, screw government reorganization!
We're not in the mid 70s. No-one from outside NYC is going to think that Richmond is one of the 5 boroughs.

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 17th 2017 at 3:41 pm.
Old May 17th 2017, 3:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

We're not in the mid 70s.
Just saying old habits die hard -- I'm still from the West Riding!
Old May 17th 2017, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Just saying old habits die hard -- I'm still from the West Riding!
My father-in-law still insists that Wigan is in Lancashire - not Greater Manchester.
Old May 17th 2017, 3:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

My father-in-law still insists that Wigan is in Lancashire - not Greater Manchester.
Sounds like a sensible guy!
Old May 17th 2017, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

The Royal Mail would have agreed up until the point where they abolished counties from UK postal addresses (1997 or thereabouts I think). They didn't recognise "Greater Manchester" for postal usage because of the potential confusion with the post town of Manchester.
Old May 17th 2017, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

We're not in the mid 70s. No-one from outside NYC is going to think that Richmond is one of the 5 boroughs.
No one has called Staten Island "Richmond" since Aaron Burr died. There is a neighborhood in Queens called Richmond Hill. My husband's grandparents lived there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.