Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Accommodation conundrum

Accommodation conundrum

Old Jul 12th 2017, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accommodation conundrum

Oh My, I can't wait.

I will come back to you about this hmvdog. I can't wait to visit these parks.

The children can't wait for snow. My daughter, who skied with her school last winter, is desperate to ski again.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RollingStones
I expected the Americans to have a better idea about us, I was a little surprised at the blank looks we were getting when my son was asked what sport he enjoyed and he answered with "cricket".

cricket:
noun

An insect related to grasshoppers. The male produces a characteristic rhythmical chirping sound.

Old Jul 12th 2017, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes!

Now I need someone to tell me the difference between the sound of cicadas and crickets.
We were in Valley Forge the other week and I didn't know which one I was hearing.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes!

Now I need someone to tell me the difference between the sound of cicadas and crickets.
We were in Valley Forge the other week and I didn't know which one I was hearing.
Insect Sounds: Telling Crickets, Cicadas And Katydids Apart : NPR

There's a link with a sound clip if you access that page - not sure if any of it is gonna be accessible to you in UK though.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Brandy07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hmvsdog
He won't be disappointed here. The first weekend I lived here, we got about 4 feet worth. Quite a shock to my system that was! Had to walk to the nearest Walmart to buy a Blu-Ray player and a bunch of movies as my cable wasn't hooked up at that time, and I was going stir crazy!

This year wasn't quite as much, but we still got about 2 feet total snowfall. Seems crazy to think now, when there's beautiful blue skies outside, it's 9.35am and already 84F (nearly 29C).
He'll be pleased then! He was very disappointed the winter we moved back to England!
I hope it's still warm by the time we move out!
Old Jul 13th 2017, 9:23 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brandy07
He'll be pleased then! He was very disappointed the winter we moved back to England!
I hope it's still warm by the time we move out!
Did you say when you were moving over, I cannot remember? It's starts getting into "fall" (autumn) around mid/late October. Still warm, but the trees show some incredible colo(u)r. November gets a little chilly and December through March is what I'd call cold.

One thing I'll add (as us Brits love talking about weather). This part of Pennsylvania knows how to rain. There's none of this light "fine rain that soaks you through" drizzle stuff. It's either normal rain which is rain as we all know, or full on "might as well be a monsoon" rain. Right now as I type, we're having an episode of the latter, so I'm delaying leaving work for a few moments and spending some time on BE! It's still warm outside too, which means you can see the tarmac "smoking" as the water evaporates off the hot surface. Again, very cool.

Did I mention I love living here?
Old Jul 13th 2017, 9:25 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

Probably crickets. The cicadas haven't quite got out yet.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Brandy07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hmvsdog
Did you say when you were moving over, I cannot remember? It's starts getting into "fall" (autumn) around mid/late October. Still warm, but the trees show some incredible colo(u)r. November gets a little chilly and December through March is what I'd call cold.

One thing I'll add (as us Brits love talking about weather). This part of Pennsylvania knows how to rain. There's none of this light "fine rain that soaks you through" drizzle stuff. It's either normal rain which is rain as we all know, or full on "might as well be a monsoon" rain. Right now as I type, we're having an episode of the latter, so I'm delaying leaving work for a few moments and spending some time on BE! It's still warm outside too, which means you can see the tarmac "smoking" as the water evaporates off the hot surface. Again, very cool.

Did I mention I love living here?
We're moving 3rd week in August.
Hope you get out the office soon!!
Old Jul 13th 2017, 10:23 pm
I don't (often) bite

Originally Posted by Brandy07
We're moving 3rd week in August.
Hope you get out the office soon!!
Yeah, it'll still be (very) warm here then!

And I'm home now, and heading out for dinner!