Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Accommodation conundrum

Accommodation conundrum

Old Jul 6th 2017, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Accommodation conundrum

Our family is 2 adults, 2 children and 2 dogs and we're in the process of relocating to Philadelphia for a 3 year secondment with my husbands employer.

We've just returned from a familiarisation visit to Philadelphia where our main goals were to secure schools and find a home.

We came home on Monday unbelievably happy that we had managed to acheive those goals. The kids were delighted with their schools and we had located a house in a beautiful area, great location with access good access to a mainstreet and train station.
Unfortunately, now the house lease has fallen through.
We not due to arrive in Philly til August 20, the tenancy agreement would have commenced August 1st.

Now given the fact our furniture will still be in transit I'm wondering if it would be better to go into an extended stay/temporary accommodation? But we have a problem with the dogs.

So I'm wondering how best to manage this. Should try and find pet friendly accommodation? Or would it be simpler to keep the dogs in kennels in the UK (I would rather not) until we have a house sorted?

The kids will be starting school two weeks after our arrival and I'm not sure what to do for the best.

Would be really grateful for some some suggestions.

Thanks
Old Jul 6th 2017, 3:44 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accommodation conundrum

Are you using a relocation consultant for help with the rental search?

if so, then they should be able to arrange for more viewings, possibly even do them for you since they went with you and know what you like.

How quickly are houses to rent available in your chosen area? In my area, a lot are available immediately. This works well if you are ready to move in, not so great if you aren't. Is this why you lost the rental? Nobody wants a rental property standing empty. We ended up paying for 2 weeks before we arrived just to secure the house we wanted to rent and that was the landlord being really good about it. He lost 2 weeks rent going with us.

Are you able to go back and offer to pay for any time before you arrive if the house is standing empty?

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Jul 6th 2017 at 4:11 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing like that.
In fact, I'm not sure I'm that disappointed about losing the house. I didn't like it as much as my husband did, and I had a bad feeling about it anyway.
The landlord upped the price before we signed the lease, apparently others were interested. We didn't want to get into a bidding war (and I didn't think it was worth it), so we withdrew. The location was better than the house.
We've always rented and this one just didn't feel right to me.

The house had tenants still in it, not due to leave until July 31st. We agreed to starting August 1st.

Last edited by RollingStones; Jul 6th 2017 at 4:32 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 5:51 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

You will have a greater choice of short term places to stay if you don't have the dog.

Saying that LaQuinta will accept dogs and don't charge a pet deposit.

Homeaway? Airbnb? VRBO?

Extended stay places - maybe search for "corporate housing". Usually you can rent a furnished apartment for a month, some may accept dogs on payment of ?$250 deposit.
Make sure that the apartment is within the boundaries for the school you want to go to. Double check with the school before signing anything.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Brandy07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be interested to hear how you get on.
I'm also moving to a Philadelphia in August for a 2 year contract with my husbands job. I also have 2 children. We have a school place secured but no where to live yet! My husband has now started work over there so he's looking at houses whilst he's there. My husband comes back end of July in time for our house to be packed up so if he's not found anything we'll have to move into temporary accommodation. We're planning on flying out 19/20 August.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

petitefrancaise - thank you for your feedback. Nothing with Airbnb, but I think it's the time of year. Everything is booked up now. I don't know VRBO. I will look at corporate housing and LaQuinta. Thankfully school aren't an issue since the children are being schooled privately.

Brandy07 - You're in a very similar position to us. We have schools sorted and no place to live, complicated by the fact we have two dogs. Our house is being packed up the last week of July, and we'll be in Philadelphia August 20. Can I ask what school your children will be going to?
Old Jul 6th 2017, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Brandy07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RollingStones

Brandy07 - You're in a very similar position to us. We have schools sorted and no place to live, complicated by the fact we have two dogs. Our house is being packed up the last week of July, and we'll be in Philadelphia August 20. Can I ask what school your children will be going to?
Yes it sounds like we are! (Except we don't have any dogs). Our house is being packed up 31st July/1-2 Aug. My children are going to Westtown - how about yours? Mine will be in 1st & 4th grade. We're looking for a house round West Chester/Glen Mills area as my husband will be working in Wilmington in Delaware.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

... we have a problem with the dogs.
So I'm wondering how best to manage this. Should try and find pet friendly accommodation? Or would it be simpler to keep the dogs in kennels in the UK (I would rather not) until we have a house sorted?

Would be really grateful for some some suggestion
It would complicate your arrival logistics - but, all things considered, if you don't manage to find "pet friendly accomodaation" - wouldn't it be better to arrange for a kennel in Philly?

At least the preparation hassle and worry about transporting the dogs would be over...and maybe you (and kids) can even 'visit' with them while they are there?
Old Jul 6th 2017, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

We are currently in temporary accommodation in NJ having flown out nearly 3 weeks ago. We found our house when we arrived and should move in before the end of the month. The temporary accommodation we are in is fantastic and and lots of people have dogs here. Not sure if they are in your area but they are called AVE, worth a look as we aren't far from you and they have a number of locations. Your relocation people should be able to help you find good temp accommodation. Good luck.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MMcD
It would complicate your arrival logistics - but, all things considered, if you don't manage to find "pet friendly accomodaation" - wouldn't it be better to arrange for a kennel in Philly?

At least the preparation hassle and worry about transporting the dogs would be over...and maybe you (and kids) can even 'visit' with them while they are there?
I thought about this and discounted it, I feel it would like distress the dogs and the children by picking them up (they would be very excited) and then having to put them back into kennels again.
Atleast by keeping them in kennels in the UK they will have settled before being flown over. I think placing them back into kennles again after they see us would just upset them again.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Yes...I wondered about that , as well

Then:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pet-friend...a&t=osx&ia=web
Old Jul 6th 2017, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ecto17
We are currently in temporary accommodation in NJ having flown out nearly 3 weeks ago. We found our house when we arrived and should move in before the end of the month. The temporary accommodation we are in is fantastic and and lots of people have dogs here. Not sure if they are in your area but they are called AVE, worth a look as we aren't far from you and they have a number of locations. Your relocation people should be able to help you find good temp accommodation. Good luck.
This looks great - Thank you. There is one of these in Malvern which isn't too far out for us atall! Their website looks really good.
I'm checking their availability now - Thanks
Old Jul 6th 2017, 10:24 pm
Austin. TX.

are you getting relocation assistance? They really should be getting this one sorted out if you are.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
are you getting relocation assistance? They really should be getting this one sorted out if you are.
Probably. But I'm a PITA control freak and I need it sorted now . I'll do my best to do it nicely though ...
Old Jul 6th 2017, 10:38 pm
Austin. TX.

Probably. But I'm a PITA control freak and I need it sorted now . I'll do my best to do it nicely though ...

uh huh! I would be too in your position.
Do you have a realtor you are working with?

Relocation consultants are super busy right now so maybe email your person and request that you deal directly with the realtor. Or just go straight to the realtor since the relocation consultant will almost definitely say you shouldn't contact the realtor directly. You should be able to get houses to look at lined up for the day after you arrive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.