Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ACCA qualified - prospects in USA? + CMA exam?

ACCA qualified - prospects in USA? + CMA exam?

Old May 4th 2018, 11:57 am
Just Joined

djgrubber is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb ACCA qualified - prospects in USA? + CMA exam?

Hi All,

This year I am going to qualify as ACCA in the UK. My girlfriend is an American citizen and she is going to qualify as ACCA too. We are also going to get married soon. In the future we were thinking of moving to the USA. We are tired of the British weather and we believe that US could offer us a better lifestyle.

We have 10 years of experience (6 in the UK, 3 Denmark and 1 in Poland) in finance and accounting (biotech, manufacturing, non profit , energy & oil/gas sectors, we both did BA + MSc from British universities. I work for a blue chip company at the moment (financial services) and she works for oil & gas, but might be moving to the financial services soon too. We both work as Accountants, but with different specializations (I am more into Mgmt Accounting & Analysis & Modelling and she is more into Financial Accounting). Our companies won't offer us a transfer to the US.

Now my questions is as follows. Let's say that my girlfriend goes to the US first (she has got family there), what chances does she have of securing a reasonable job with European job experience only? How is it perceived on the job market and what kind of salary should we be looking for at this career level? In the UK I am at 40k + benefits/bonus and she is 30k+benefits/bonus so in total our income is around 85-90k. We are both 32 years old and will be thinking of a move in 2-3 years.

I know that ACCA is not recognized in the USA and I was wondering if we should attempt CMA exam before we consider moving there. I am a bit pissed off that ACCA that markets itself as a global qualification is not recognized in the US..Therefore I was thinking of doing CMA which should give us a better start when we are there. It seems like an easy qualification to obtain when comparing to the ACCA and surprisingly it pays a lot in the US.

Oh and the plan is that she moves first, secures a job and then we start the visa process for me. She is a citizen so no problem with work permit and I should be able to get Green Card. Also we were thinking of making a career break in the UK for a year, and go to US to check how it is like to work there. If we didn't like it, we would simply come back. We have a property here so it is not a problem and we both think that our employeers would agree to the gap year.

I would highly appreciate your views and share your own experiences.

(I posted this question in the Working Abroad/Accounting forum, but one of the users suggested that I can find more answers in this forum)

Thank you for all replies
Old May 4th 2018, 12:53 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACCA qualified - prospects in USA? + CMA exam?

You need to get married before she leaves for the US. Your CR1 visa will take about a year to get. It would be better if you get married now and file while she is in the UK since you can DCF and it is must quicker.

It seems a little silly to sped all that money, and get your Green Card, when you might only be there for a year before abandoning it - but since there is no other way to do what you suggest, it seems like the best solution.
Old May 4th 2018, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
You need to get married before she leaves for the US. Your CR1 visa will take about a year to get. It would be better if you get married now and file while she is in the UK since you can DCF and it is must quicker.

It seems a little silly to sped all that money, and get your Green Card, when you might only be there for a year before abandoning it - but since there is no other way to do what you suggest, it seems like the best solution.
Thank you for a reply. We are going to get married next year (while we are still in the UK). My girlfriend has never lived/worked in the US so I guess she needs to go there first, get a job and then sponsor me. Am I correct?

It all depends on the type of jobs we would get. I have a feeling that we would stay for 3 years, but 1 year gap would be a safety net. In case it turned out that we are not suitable for the job market. I doubt it, but one never knows.

My concern is not the green card and work permit. I am more worried about career prospects with my qualifications and suitability.
Old May 4th 2018, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Brother is Chartered and has worked in the US quite a bit, did not seem an issue.

My Father was Cost and Works and was offered a move to the US so obviously not an issue.

Second going DCF.
Old May 4th 2018, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an accountant, a CPA. Although the CMA is fine, I don't think you should do it if you really don't want to. I hardly (have never) seen CMA listed as a requirement on a job posting. It's typically CPA or MBA. I actually don't know anyone with the CMA. Maybe it's the industry I'm in (financial services/fund accounting). At the end of the day, I believe you'll be fine with your experience. Make sure you format your CV like an American resume and use the right buzz words. Update your LinkedIn profiles as well. The salary you should expect would depend on the US location. $75 -$100K would not necessarily be unreasonable if a relatively major city.

It's not really the ACCA's fault per se. The US is just "snobby" with these things.

Last edited by fbf2006; May 4th 2018 at 4:18 pm.
Old May 4th 2018, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

cjdrum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fbf2006
I'm an accountant, a CPA. Although the CMA is fine, I don't think you should do it if you really don't want to. I hardly (have never) seen CMA listed as a requirement on a job posting. It's typically CPA or MBA. I actually don't know anyone with the CMA. Maybe it's the industry I'm in (financial services/fund accounting). At the end of the day, I believe you'll be fine with your experience. Make sure you format your CV like an American resume and use the right buzz words. Update your LinkedIn profiles as well. The salary you should expect would depend on the US location. $75 -$100K would not necessarily be unreasonable if a relatively major city.

It's not really the ACCA's fault per se. The US is just "snobby" with these things.
I'm a CA, working in the US without issue. I definitely would not recommend doing the CMA before migrating. You will be able to find work, although you may want to consider doing the CPA exam whilst over here to localise.
Old May 4th 2018, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute

This is tricky. I'm an Accountant working in a state public sector. Personally I never had a need for taking CPA exam, neither I was interested in working as an Auditor. Only once, I worked with someone who was a CPA. As someone already recommended you should create proper resume and emphasize your skills. The only document that really matters is your college/university degree, which on many occasions when you apply for position in public sector, has to be equivalent to US degree.
Old May 4th 2018, 6:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife does not have to move to the USA first, as long as she can meet the criteria in the I-864 affidavit of support. This could mean having enough in assets, or using a joint sponsor (perhaps her family in the USA).

Rene
Old May 7th 2018, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi All,

Thank you for taking the time to write all replies. All this information is very helpful. . So basically it means that the UK qualifications will be/are recognized. I would definitely like to work in industry. I am not interested in audit. I think we will top up our experience a bit here in the UK for the next 2 years and then we will try our lack in the US.

Your wife does not have to move to the USA first, as long as she can meet the criteria in the I-864 affidavit of support. This could mean having enough in assets, or using a joint sponsor (perhaps her family in the USA).

Rene
May 4th 2018 7:10 pm
Would you be so kind as to elaborate? I thought that American citizens who has never lived in the US can't act as a sponsor if they live abroad (financially she will meet the criteria, it is not a problem) ? Hence the idea of her going to the US first and securing a job and then sponsor me.

Thank you and sorry for all these questions I am a complete newbie in these things
Old May 7th 2018, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that in most cases CPA is helpful for someone who wants to work in taxation or in audit. I actually witnessed situation that someone with CPA was hired for accounting managerial position in corporation and failed miserably. This is just a different kind of work experience. In addition to your diploma, you should also request a transcript from your university. Sometimes employers wants to see that you took core accounting classes in your college (24 credits)
Old May 7th 2018, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

She will have to show US Domicile, savings can be used for sponsorship, or a joint sponsor.
Old May 7th 2018, 5:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by djgrubber
Would you be so kind as to elaborate? I thought that American citizens who has never lived in the US can't act as a sponsor if they live abroad (financially she will meet the criteria, it is not a problem) ? Hence the idea of her going to the US first and securing a job and then sponsor me.
Everything you need to know about the affidavit of support is at www.uscis.gov, form I-864 and instructions. Also the I-864P which gives you the dollar amount required.

If her income in the UK (or your income in the UK) won't continue from the same source once you move to the USA, then you can either use assets in lieu of income (if you have enough) or a joint sponsor can be used. She does not physically have to be in the USA before you.

Rene
Old May 7th 2018, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
She will have to show US Domicile, savings can be used for sponsorship, or a joint sponsor.
She only has to show Intent to Domicile in the USA, and even then, that evidence is rarely asked for in London.

Rene