Reload this Page >

Academic qualifications translation

Academic qualifications translation

Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Rowena is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Academic qualifications translation

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question (hoping someone will know the answer!).

My husband and I are looking to relocate to the US on work visas. I have a BSc degree and he has a BA degree and an MA masters degree in management.

I was just curious as to whether these qualifications direclty translate into something meaningful within the US jobs market? Most jobs within the pay bracket he woud be in ask for MBA rather than MA but I was not sure if that was due to it not being a recognised qualification or just not being accepted?

Thanks
Old Oct 13th 2006, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Academic qualifications translation

Originally Posted by Rowena
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question (hoping someone will know the answer!).

My husband and I are looking to relocate to the US on work visas. I have a BSc degree and he has a BA degree and an MA masters degree in management.

I was just curious as to whether these qualifications direclty translate into something meaningful within the US jobs market? Most jobs within the pay bracket he woud be in ask for MBA rather than MA but I was not sure if that was due to it not being a recognised qualification or just not being accepted?

Thanks
Hi Rowena,
You can get your qualifications formally 'translated' here: www.wes.org
Where in the US arer you coming to?
Good luck!
Jan
Old Oct 13th 2006, 11:32 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be too surprised if you aren't as 'Qualified' as you thought. The yanks like to see everyone else as inferior when the truth is most Brits education pissed over the one you get here.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you really have some specific technical qualification, is it not acceptable just to take it literally, i.e Bachelors in UK = Bachelors in the USA.

For something as general as management, I'd have thought that would be fine, surely it would be more inherant on exactly what managment experience he has as opposed to the qual itself, which merely says "Masters in Management" - box ticked, move on to the interview is how I see it.

Last edited by Dan725; Oct 13th 2006 at 1:34 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by janj
Hi Rowena,
You can get your qualifications formally 'translated' here: www.wes.org
Where in the US arer you coming to?
Good luck!
Jan
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the reply

We were looking around, obviously it would be entirely job dependent but the areas we like the look of at the moment are Chicago/Atlanta etc, but it is rather difficult to make reasoned comparisons when we know so little about the US. Ideally nowhere too hot!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dan725
Unless you really have some specific technical qualification, is it not acceptable just to take it literally, i.e Bachelors in UK = Bachelors in the USA.

For something as general as management, I'd have thought that would be fine, surely it would be more inherant on exactly what managment experience he has as opposed to the qual itself, which merely says "Masters in Management" - box ticked, move on to the interview is how I see it.
He currently works in higher management, the masters is purely a 'door opener' to get to the interviews and prove aptitude... except I had not seen a single job ad or company refer to an MA, only MBA - confusing!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 2:50 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

.........we know so little about the US. ...
So why would you want to move here then? Just curious...

I assume you are looking for H1b positions? Have you researched the difficulties associated with finding those?
Old Oct 13th 2006, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira
So why would you want to move here then? Just curious...

I assume you are looking for H1b positions? Have you researched the difficulties associated with finding those?
So little in relative terms. What we have seen we really like. It would be silly to say that we love the US and everything about it as it would be impossible to make that sort of assertion without substantial experience... the US is obviously a large place and we have seen glimpses at best on our travels. We have two small children so want to make a break asap so that their education is not disrupted too much.

Hubby works for a company that will transfer him overseas hence we can go with him. Im self employed and have every intention of doing the exact same line of business once we get there (I hate working for other people!) I know tht companies who will sponsor the h1b are few and far between, but inter country transfers within the same retail group seem to be more commmon?
Old Oct 13th 2006, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

So little in relative terms. What we have seen we really like. It would be silly to say that we love the US and everything about it as it would be impossible to make that sort of assertion without substantial experience... the US is obviously a large place and we have seen glimpses at best on our travels. We have two small children so want to make a break asap so that their education is not disrupted too much.

Hubby works for a company that will transfer him overseas hence we can go with him. Im self employed and have every intention of doing the exact same line of business once we get there (I hate working for other people!) I know tht companies who will sponsor the h1b are few and far between, but inter country transfers within the same retail group seem to be more commmon?
And easier to get!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 3:11 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

but inter country transfers within the same retail group seem to be more commmon?
that's what you need......
Old Oct 13th 2006, 4:33 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
that's what you need......

Job done

L1 transfers (as long as you qualify) are the shit. thats how I got over here
Old Oct 13th 2006, 4:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Get the company to stump for your EAD as well as that's usually needed to be renewed every year, to allow you to work.

As for getting degrees' translated, I wouldn't bother, it's pretty meaningless unless a place specifically asks for it, then they would probably have there own list of places to do it, because it ain't a regulated business, anyone can set up shop.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 4:44 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not 100% but just because hubby gets a visa enabling him to work doesn't mean you will.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

He currently works in higher management, the masters is purely a 'door opener' to get to the interviews and prove aptitude... except I had not seen a single job ad or company refer to an MA, only MBA - confusing!
If you don't know, the MBA is Masters in Business Administration. A degree geared to running a business. I have a BS from the US and it is true that they just don't easily convert. Have you tried contacting any US colleges to determine what a MBA entails? You could ask what you need to get to a Phd in the US and that may give you an idea of the comparison.....

Good luck.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 5:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
I'm not 100% but just because hubby gets a visa enabling him to work doesn't mean you will.

If he goes on an inter-company transfer, he'll be on an L1, which qualifies her for an L2, which in turn allows her to apply for an EAD.

Much better than H1b.

PS: check which category of L1, and get a written promise of green card sponsorship, if your long-term plan is to stay in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.