Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

About bloomin' time too...

Wikiposts

About bloomin' time too...

Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About bloomin' time too...

Originally Posted by Anian
If it reduces the huge number of stupid stop signs then I'll be happy.
+1

In the Carolinas, the road planners (if there is such a thing) mentality to traffic control is "oh we'll put up a stop light". If you've ever been to New Bern, NC you'll know what I mean. Literally a stop light every 200ft or so. Crazy in a small town with a small population. It takes ages to get from one end to another.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
urgh, so so true. I remember actually having to study for my test in England and then coming over here, talking to the instructor about Are You Being Served (his favorite British show) and circling around an empty mall parking lot and I'd passed. Unbelievable.
Is there anything to be gained by having such a lax standard for drivers? By that I mean is someone somewhere making $$$ off of it and thats why it remains such a farce of a test?
If the test was more like the test in the UK then there would probably only be about 10% of drivers on the road.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I just can't imagine what it would be like to drive in a country where roundabouts are very thin on the ground or non existent altogether. They speed up traffic flow for one thing and negotiating them is fun anyway as long as you obey all the rules of accessibility and use the correct exit lanes and give way to traffic approaching from the right - or the left as it likely is in non "keep to the left" countries who have them. They also make regular traffic reports easier to follow when it comes to precise locality and identification of such as many of them have names - such as the Halbeath Roundabout or the Walnut Tree Roundabout for example.

And another thing - many of them are well tended in the form of centrally placed flower beds, shrubs and even ornamental trees making them look quite attractive, not that you have much time to admire them as you filter your way through the whole process.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sarah
Good, they're so handy if you get off at the wrong exit on the highway. I hope they start teaching people how to drive round them in drivers ed classes. Actually I hope they start teaching people how to drive properly in drivers ed classes, that would be great. In NY I swear people don't know what a turn signal is. While I'm on the subject, I think people over 70 should be made to take a driving test again. So there.
I agree with the over 70's remark...maybe 75 is more realistic though. But I would ban the under 25's from driving at all unless a more rigorous test is devised for youth.. I was nearly killed by a young lady who stopped at the stop sign at a T junction (well done miss). She suddenly decided the junction must be a 3 way stop...it wasn't, and pulled out right in front of me.
Olympia now has a lot of new traffic circles. There used to be an educational program on the local tv channel of how to use them properly. Not sure how successful it was, but I have seen hundreds of drivers enter a 2 lane circle using the outside lane when turning left and cutting straight across the inside lane where drivers can go straight on. I often use traffic circles when constipated, works better than senna
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Kneeno is an unknown quantity at this point

Now this looks confusing. Although I imagine after using it a few times it'd become more natural.

On the subject of roundabouts my wife has just returned to the US after visiting me here on the IoM for 3 weeks and we have an abundance of roundabouts here. After travelling all over the Island with me for about 2½ weeks one day she asks "Ok, so who has right of way at these things?" I'm sure I explained it to her when she was last here a couple of years ago but I suppose if you don't use them regularly it's confusing? Anyway I explained the whole rigmarole and she was happy enough but she still wasn't willing to have a go at driving my van.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

As a Brit living in Carmel I do find it amusing when I see locals trying to navigate around the roundabouts here. Last winter we saw tire tracks straight across the middle of a roundabout on Rangeline. It was as if someone was driving along and thought "I'm going to make this one a roundover!"

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 8:20 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lola-Monmouth
I agree with the over 70's remark...maybe 75 is more realistic though. But I would ban the under 25's from driving at all unless a more rigorous test is devised for youth.. I was nearly killed by a young lady who stopped at the stop sign at a T junction (well done miss). She suddenly decided the junction must be a 3 way stop...it wasn't, and pulled out right in front of me.
Olympia now has a lot of new traffic circles. There used to be an educational program on the local tv channel of how to use them properly. Not sure how successful it was, but I have seen hundreds of drivers enter a 2 lane circle using the outside lane when turning left and cutting straight across the inside lane where drivers can go straight on. I often use traffic circles when constipated, works better than senna
Yep I think its been proven that seniors are just as dangerous on the roads as teenagers. There really isn't anything to be lost by having a stricter test.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:26 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
They speed up traffic flow for one thing
The head of our towns engineering department (road planners) assures me roundabouts slow traffic down, and that is how they are used. I did try to explain they in fact speed traffic flow, but that got the response only the big ones they use in Europe, we use traffic circles here they are smaller.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
The head of our towns engineering department (road planners) assures me roundabouts slow traffic down, and that is how they are used. I did try to explain they in fact speed traffic flow, but that got the response only the big ones they use in Europe, we use traffic circles here they are smaller.
It is true they do slow down traffic here...'cos nobody knows what to do. Instead of keeping the traffic flowing US drivers...stop...start...stop...start.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:47 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It is true they do slow down traffic here...'cos nobody knows what to do. Instead of keeping the traffic flowing US drivers...stop...start...stop...start.
yes only because no-one knows how to use them. In fact they are meant to replace the requirement to stop at intersections, hence designed to speed things up.

So traffic planners here use them for the wrong reason relying on drivers not using them properly to achieve their purpose. That's what makes it so comical.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Would love to see some roundabouts hereabouts - but 'twould be dangerous in these parts. Nobody knows how to drive to begin with let alone have them go around in circles trying to get off a merrygoround! Heck, these people don't even know what a turn signal is for Can't even merge into the highway system without either coming to a complete stop or crowding the traffic in-lane that has the ROW. Nobody here could survive, much less pass the rigorous testing my husband said he had to go through in the UK. Think I could do it by probably the 2nd try, but then I learned a long time ago when driving was taken seriously! And I can parallel park! Not only that, but have driven a stick shift car from the "wrong" side of the car, on the "wrong" side of the road - in London, no less! (When told by the car rental agent that the steering was on the "right" side of the car, I told her that was a matter of opinion - she wasn't amused.)