Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Abduction of Jill Carroll in Baghdad...

The Abduction of Jill Carroll in Baghdad...

Old Feb 10th 2006, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy The Abduction of Jill Carroll in Baghdad...

dunno if anyone has been following this kidnapping but cnn have just given out the following statement regarding jill carroll a baghdad-based freelancer for the christian science monitor kidnapped about jan 8 2006....

Kuwaiti TV station reports kidnappers of American Jill Carroll set final deadline for their demands to be met or she will be killed.

thankfully they keep extending the deadline...poor woman and poor family

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...147652,00.html for more info.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Abduction of Jill Carroll in Baghdad...

Originally Posted by TruBrit
dunno if anyone has been following this kidnapping but cnn have just given out the following statement regarding jill carroll a baghdad-based freelancer for the christian science monitor kidnapped about jan 8 2006....

Kuwaiti TV station reports kidnappers of American Jill Carroll set final deadline for their demands to be met or she will be killed.

thankfully they keep extending the deadline...poor woman and poor family

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...147652,00.html for more info.

Very sad indeed - February 28 is the final deadline. Lets hope she makes it home safely! My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family. Everyone must be terribly worried and upset about the situation.

What are the demands that need to be met?
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Very sad indeed - February 28 is the final deadline. Lets hope she makes it home safely! My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family. Everyone must be terribly worried and upset about the situation.

The same has it has been since she was kidnapped in early January, that all female Iraqi prisoner be released.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Rete
The same has it has been since she was kidnapped in early January, that all female Iraqi prisoner be released.
Thanks....guess I either missed it or forgot!
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by willmore

they have said they will kill jill carroll if the united states does not release all female prisoners in custody in iraq.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not holding much hope on her making it out...
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
hi bob, you're probably right in that assumption however the fact they have altered the dead line gives me a little hope
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hi bob, you're probably right in that assumption however the fact they have altered the dead line gives me a little hope
there probably running out of hostages, can't just axe the lot of them straight off can they, plus they need to give something to keep discussions open...
Old Feb 10th 2006, 10:59 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Hate to say it but I think your right I can't see the demands being met, the other problem is that this kidnapping group is not well known so they are having problem negotiating.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't it reported that 5 Iraqi women prisoners were freed a week or so ago. Probably not all of them ??? How many is many? It was stated that this action was not due to the demands made by the kidnappers.However they could look upon that as some success and will try and repeat the process.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
Wasn't it reported that 5 Iraqi women prisoners were freed a week or so ago. Probably not all of them ??? How many is many? It was stated that this action was not due to the demands made by the kidnappers.However they could look upon that as some success and will try and repeat the process.

Yes 5 were released about a week AFTER the first deadline. At the time Jill Carroll was kidnapped, it was reported that there were actually very few Iraqi women being detained and most of them were due to be released soon anyway..which made the kidnapping a bit pointless. If I remember rightly there were 9 Iraqi women prisoners when Carroll was abducted- 5 are out, so there aren't many left to be released. The new deadline is Feb 26th I think.
I think there's hope for Carroll- at least they didn't kill her when the first deadline passed, so that's encouraging.