Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Aahhhhh!!!!! - Moving to the US without the kids?

Aahhhhh!!!!! - Moving to the US without the kids?

Old May 19th 2011, 4:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aahhhhh!!!!! - Moving to the US without the kids?

Originally Posted by steve100100
How? Unfortunately, my 17 year old niece is pregnant by her 17 year old boyfriend/ fiancé/ whatever.

They can't get a council house until they are 18.
housing assistance, doesn't mean council house.
Old May 19th 2011, 8:43 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Not sure if this was mentioned but aren't there some visa issues to be sorted relative to the daughter? Once she turns 18 isn't she going to be "on her own" to get visas to visit or stay in the US. If she comes over before she turns 18 (and is legally adopted) she might be able for sponsorship by the USC husband. If she came over now, the rest of her life she would have a lot more options for US or UK living than if she stayed these last two years in the UK.

(note: I don't know the specifics or age limits but just the general idea of having her come over while legally a minor might be better than after 18).
I think as long as they are unmarried they can emigrate until they are 21, not 18.
Old May 19th 2011, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Jane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I think as long as they are unmarried they can emigrate until they are 21, not 18.
Yes, I have just checked this out......unmarried and under 21 is still a child in the U.S, so therefore my husband can start the process next year.
But I would also like to add......
Goodness gracious me, I didn't realise my cry for help and advice (as a guilty mother) regarding moving to the U.S without my daughter was going to create a great deal of differences.
Thank you to every one though!!!!!!!
But for fear of repeating myself and clear up a few points......

She was coming with me (I would never have "left her".) Then she decided to stay, after we were nearly done with the visa. It was a very brave thing she did, telling me.
She has just been accepted to start a Saturday job. Will be living with grandparents who love her dearly. Will be going to college for 2 years and still has her biological father living near by.
As a mum, it is I who feels guilty for wanting to be with my husband in the US. She wants me to go and be happy, and she'll be happier here, with her friends. She will join me when 18, either get a job, or do more studying. By which time I will be settled, have a job and will be able to help her in what ever she wishes to do.
Thank you.......Jane