Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

AAARRRGGGGHHHH - Contractors

AAARRRGGGGHHHH - Contractors

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:13 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute
Angry AAARRRGGGGHHHH - Contractors

I am soooooooooo made right now, I can't even see straight.

I am posting on here, cos there is nobody at home and I need to vent.

Here's the situ.

A couple of years ago the tiles around our pool started falling off, so we had someone come and repair them, didn't do a very good job, so came back 3 times to do it again. Then it started again a couple of months ago so we decided to do a complete job and get someone to replace all the tiles and do a proper job this time and get it done right.

After eventually finding someone that would come and take a look, they gave us a quote which looked fine and within our budget.

I called them 2 weeks ago friday (just gone) to say yeah go ahead with the work, but we want to see some pool tiles to see if we want to upgrade.

The guy came over last week and I chose the tile, about $250 more expensive but at least it will look nice.

Anyway he has had to sub-contract the work out and the guys turned up this morning to start........... but........... didn't realise that they had to take off the existing tile................. duh...... it was a pool re-tiling job.

So the quote has now gone up another $200, I am so mad I can't see straight. Its the principle of the thing, we were given a quote, its not our fault the original guy didn't tell the contractors that they had to take off the old tile. And if they had scheduled the work in when we first gave them the go-ahead they wouldn't have needed to contract it out. Again not our fault.

Am I being stupid to worry about it, its only another $200.

Hubby just says its another thing we put down to experience. But I am fed up of doing that.

At the end of the day what could we do, we have an empty pool, tiles falling off the wall and guests coming in just over a week.

:curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AAARRRGGGGHHHH - Contractors

Originally Posted by sambuc
Hubby just says its another thing we put down to experience. But I am fed up of doing that.

At the end of the day what could we do, we have an empty pool, tiles falling off the wall and guests coming in just over a week.

yep i'd be well pi$$ed of also but like hubs says put it down to experience and always digest fully any future contracts.

enjoy your company
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

conisby is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's the situ.

A couple of years ago the tiles around our pool started falling off, so we had someone come and repair them, didn't do a very good job, so came back 3 times to do it again. Then it started again a couple of months ago so we decided to do a complete job and get someone to replace all the tiles and do a proper job this time and get it done right.

After eventually finding someone that would come and take a look, they gave us a quote which looked fine and within our budget.

I called them 2 weeks ago friday (just gone) to say yeah go ahead with the work, but we want to see some pool tiles to see if we want to upgrade.

The guy came over last week and I chose the tile, about $250 more expensive but at least it will look nice.

Anyway he has had to sub-contract the work out and the guys turned up this morning to start........... but........... didn't realise that they had to take off the existing tile................. duh...... it was a pool re-tiling job.

So the quote has now gone up another $200, I am so mad I can't see straight. Its the principle of the thing, we were given a quote, its not our fault the original guy didn't tell the contractors that they had to take off the old tile. And if they had scheduled the work in when we first gave them the go-ahead they wouldn't have needed to contract it out. Again not our fault.

The contractor who gave you the quote knew that the existing tiles needed to be taken up and the price he quoted to do the work, includes this.

The original quote still stands, speak to the person who gave you the quote, find out if he stated to the subbies that the job included take up.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

BamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really niceBamaBrit is just really nice

you could always just fill it up with earth - im assuming its an inground pool. in my experience pools are far more trouble than they are worth unless your going to have a pool guy taking care of it. They are just way too much hassle.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the situ.

When you choose these contractors, what are your criteria? Price? Getting a recommendation from someone? No. of years in the business? Just wondering...
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BamaBrit
you could always just fill it up with earth - im assuming its an inground pool. in my experience pools are far more trouble than they are worth unless your going to have a pool guy taking care of it. They are just way too much hassle.
Can't fill a pool in here...it has to come out.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conisby
The contractor who gave you the quote knew that the existing tiles needed to be taken up and the price he quoted to do the work, includes this.

The original quote still stands, speak to the person who gave you the quote, find out if he stated to the subbies that the job included take up.
Yep that's what I would do.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 6:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a written quote, give them an ear bashing, to the person you got the quote from....if it was verbal, you might probably be SOL...can't hurt to ask though..
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If it's a written quote, give them an ear bashing, to the person you got the quote from....if it was verbal, you might probably be SOL...can't hurt to ask though..
who do u pay the subbies or the contractor. I get a quote from a contractor i dont care who he uses as long as the job is done proper and then i pay him and he pays his subbies...Guess it was HIM who should of got a better quote from the people doing his work and not u. No i wouldnt just put up with it.!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BamaBrit
Yes ..it takes me a good 10 minutes a week to service a pool ....
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Yes ..it takes me a good 10 minutes a week to service a pool ....
was just about to post a rude comment but thought better of it being the lady that i am, something to do with servicing
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:18 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conisby

Apparently the guy who gave us the original quote assumed that the contractors knew it included taking off the old tiles, he didn't tell them though, so when they turned up, the price went up.

We could refuse to pay the additional cost, but then he could refuse to do the work, which would leave us with an empty pool, tiles falling off and visitors coming :curse:

never assume anything, it makes an ass out of u and me
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:19 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
was just about to post a rude comment but thought better of it being the lady that i am, something to do with servicing
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:20 pm
sun lover

Originally Posted by Celsius
When you choose these contractors, what are your criteria? Price? Getting a recommendation from someone? No. of years in the business? Just wondering...

We chose this company cos they are the ones who come out to us with home warranty issues and they have always done a good job in the past.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the situ.

Have you tried getting someone recommended through Angie's List?

http://www.angieslist.com/AngiesList/

Supposed to be quite good, but I have no experience with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.