British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   AA v UA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/aa-v-ua-734600/)

bobbedford Oct 4th 2011 5:57 pm

AA v UA

Flights same price, same time, both economy which would you pick.... American or united?

rpjs Oct 4th 2011 6:16 pm

Re: AA v UA

Originally Posted by bobbedford (Post 9657148)
Flights same price, same time, both economy which would you pick.... American or united?

American every time. The only US long-haul carrier that are any good IMO.

CAdreaming Oct 4th 2011 6:24 pm

Used United a lot but never AA - for some reasons i dont fancy AA

tintagel74 Oct 4th 2011 6:47 pm

AA for sure.

Brit In TN Oct 4th 2011 10:02 pm

If I recall correctly AA has an extra 3" legroom in coach/economy. That is about all the difference there is. US carriers are more or less the same ie miserable.

tonrob Oct 4th 2011 10:03 pm

Depends which aircraft type is flying the route. Can make a huge difference. Would also depend on how many miles/status I had in AA vs UA/CO programmes, and whether I had a co-branded credit card that would save me bag fees etc. Both of these carriers can be as shite as one another so the devil, as usual, is in the details.

tonrob Oct 4th 2011 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Brit In TN (Post 9657695)
If I recall correctly AA has an extra 3" legroom in coach/economy. That is about all the difference there is. US carriers are more or less the same ie miserable.

Years ago - yes. But not for a long time now I'm afraid.

Brit In TN Oct 4th 2011 10:14 pm

Oh well. At least the misery is equally distributed then.

penguinsix Oct 5th 2011 9:38 am

AA is in the same alliance with BA, so if you are heavily into miles you can play the game a bit with AA (though there are / were restriction on LHR flights on AA). You used to be able to get some decent first class fares from a coach ticket upgraded (Y-UP class).

I have United, though occasionally if you get a new plane it can be ok. Most of their fleet is dingy and old, with one screen for TV (instead of in the seat). Baggage charges are annoying and the whole thing gets a bit annoying. Only positive is radio channel 9 which is "From the Cockpit" so you can listen to ATC talk to your flight as you fly. Can be fun if you are into that.

tonrob Oct 5th 2011 9:55 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 9658560)
AA is in the same alliance with BA, so if you are heavily into miles you can play the game a bit with AA (though there are / were restriction on LHR flights on AA). You used to be able to get some decent first class fares from a coach ticket upgraded (Y-UP class).

No LHR award redemption restrictions with AA any more, although you now pay BA-style fuel surcharges on trans-Atlantic routes.

Jan Alaska Oct 5th 2011 3:38 pm

Would never fly AA again, nasty dirty planes. Disinterested cabin staff who seem mostly to be hanging in there until they can start drawing their pensions.

Rumour has it that they are about to declare bankruptcy.

BILDER Oct 5th 2011 3:50 pm

UA all the way. Never had a bad experience. I have many many bad experiences with AA.

Middlemore Oct 5th 2011 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by BILDER (Post 9659191)
UA all the way. Never had a bad experience. I have many many bad experiences with AA.

Haven't UA just merged with Continental?

BILDER Oct 5th 2011 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Middlemore (Post 9659200)
Haven't UA just merged with Continental?

Yeah they did. Like someone previously posted, the CO equipment is excellent. Good service, good equipment = good combo.

Though, a few others have had bad experiences with United.

chris921 Oct 5th 2011 8:16 pm

Personally i would Choose UA over AA every time, i flew with united every time except my last trip, the AA plane i was on was barely big enough to sit in where as UA were more then enough, although the food on AA is not too bad for an airline, buti would choose the comfort of UA over AA