Wikiposts

Aa/rac

Old Apr 14th 2004, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default AA/RAC

Something that surprises me over here, with all of the "entrepeneurs" is the lack of an AA/RAC type company.
The closest I've found is AAA Mid Atlantic, but they don't do roadside repairs, just tow you to the nearest garage (or within 100 miles) if you are near home.
I appreciate that with the shear size of the country a relay service would be difficult and very expensive, but I'm amazed that they won't just check and try to repair simple faults or provide a similar sort of service to our good old AA or RAC.
I'd quite happily pay $200/$250 a year for a similar service to the UK even if it was a confind local area. PLUS pay a premium or one off charge if travelling a long distant.
I never thought I'd miss the AA !!

Last edited by rogerpenycate; Apr 14th 2004 at 5:52 am.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 6:41 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AA/RAC

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
Something that surprises me over here, with all of the "entrepeneurs" is the lack of an AA/RAC type company.
The closest I've found is AAA Mid Atlantic, but they don't do roadside repairs, just tow you to the nearest garage (or within 100 miles) if you are near home.
I appreciate that with the shear size of the country a relay service would be difficult and very expensive, but I'm amazed that they won't just check and try to repair simple faults or provide a similar sort of service to our good old AA or RAC.
I'd quite happily pay $200/$250 a year for a similar service to the UK even if it was a confind local area. PLUS pay a premium or one off charge if travelling a long distant.
I never thought I'd miss the AA !!
Just a thought but one reason a breakdown type company would not offer roadside repairs is that:
1) it may be illegal to do so in some states
2) it's too damn dangerous to hang around too long in the hard shoulder or kerbside on many US roads

I think 2) is certainly true because the local news quite frequently reports of sad stories of policeman, "good samaritans" and others who are killed when assisting motorists who've had accidents/broken down on the side of the road. Other drivers simply do not pay full attention and knock them over.

It's really quite tragic.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

No you are right. It seems a good opporunity, particularly if you tacked on a deal with local garages etc. To bypass the roadside danger they could perhaps tow to a safer area.

I have joined triple A though and so far they have been very good. When my car broke down they came and got me, took my car to a garage and took me home.

The RAC in contrast towed me off the motorway when I broke down in a blizzard in the Scottish hills and left me in a lay by with my three month old baby and no nearby telephone or source of warmth, it was quite obvious the chappy just wanted to go home and as no local garages were open he seemed to feel he had done his job, kind soul that he was. Thankfully the operator on the motorway had allowed me to contact my parents and they came looking for me.

I was rather unimpressed with the RAC service to say the least.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
I'd miss the AA !!

I was going to post just the other day and ask if there was AA over there and completely forgot. Now I know! I'm really suprised that there is nothing similar... anyone out there feeling entrepeneurial enough to start the American Automobile A$$ociation?? Instant millionaire me finks!
Old Apr 14th 2004, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by whatever
I was going to post just the other day and ask if there was AA over there and completely forgot. Now I know! I'm really suprised that there is nothing similar... anyone out there feeling entrepeneurial enough to start the American Automobile A$$ociation?? Instant millionaire me finks!
There is an American Automobile Association. I'm a member of AAA Arizona. They recently dropped by to jump-start my car when the battery died. Their Nevada affiliate towed me to a Ford dealer when my Expedition died in the Mohave desert a few years ago.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 8:34 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by edwords
There is an American Automobile Association. I'm a member of AAA Arizona. They recently dropped by to jump-start my car when the battery died. Their Nevada affiliate towed me to a Ford dealer when my Expedition died in the Mohave desert a few years ago.
http://www.aaa.com/ Alive and well and selling everything from insurance to Vacations
Old Apr 14th 2004, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I for one wouldn't use that service at all. I can just see criminals using that as a way to pose as a serviceman as a way to rob (or worse) stranded motorists. I feel much safer just being towed (though that has its dangers as well for a lone female) to a public garage where the car can be worked on.

Besides, who knows how well these people would be trained..they could end up doing more damage than what was already there. I'm one of those anal people who only trust mechanics with certifications to work on my car.

A decent idea, but may not take off here. I do love AAA's jump-start and lock-smith services. I seem to have this issue with locking keys in my car.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 3:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
I for one wouldn't use that service at all. I can just see criminals using that as a way to pose as a serviceman as a way to rob (or worse) stranded motorists. I feel much safer just being towed (though that has its dangers as well for a lone female) to a public garage where the car can be worked on.

Besides, who knows how well these people would be trained..they could end up doing more damage than what was already there. I'm one of those anal people who only trust mechanics with certifications to work on my car.

A decent idea, but may not take off here. I do love AAA's jump-start and lock-smith services. I seem to have this issue with locking keys in my car.
Your in a shall issue State...Get your Licence and start packing heat... Kentucky sounds a frightening place to live...
Old Apr 17th 2004, 11:51 am
Just Joined

rynd2it is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AAA is amazing!

Hi,

Been here in Southern CA for almost 13 years - AAA is the best, their insurance rates are tad higher than others - but wait until you have to claim, then they shine. They even re-imbursed $4.00 for excess car rental charges last time some moron hit my car.

Their roadside assistance is all it needs to be - don't want some tow-truck driver messing with my car - just tow it to my repair shop please. They'll bring you gas if you run out, change flats, unlock it if you lost the key etc.

Would not want to be without them

David
Old Apr 17th 2004, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AAA is amazing!

Originally posted by rynd2it
Hi,

Been here in Southern CA for almost 13 years - AAA is the best, their insurance rates are tad higher than others - but wait until you have to claim, then they shine. They even re-imbursed $4.00 for excess car rental charges last time some moron hit my car.

Their roadside assistance is all it needs to be - don't want some tow-truck driver messing with my car - just tow it to my repair shop please. They'll bring you gas if you run out, change flats, unlock it if you lost the key etc.

Would not want to be without them

David
Yup we joined in Florida and have used in the first week for a jump start. They definately do flats as partly why we bought it as Husband away with USAF a lot and it gives me some peace of mind if I have flat or need towing sometime.
Suzie