Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

90 day eads - fees and applications

90 day eads - fees and applications

Old Apr 19th 2001, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

misskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant future

i confirmed today with seattle airport ins that they are no longer issuing eads for k1 visas arriving at seatac airport (hopefully me soon!), and that i must apply in person downtown at the ins office.

am i right in assuming that i will be charged $100 for the priveledge of applying for the 90 day work authorisation (via the i-765?) which used to be given free at the poe? this seems a nice little earner for the ins.

am i also right in assuming that no matter when i apply for the "90 day ead" during my k1 visa period in the us, it is only actually valid until the end of my k1 visa period? there's no chance of applying for the temp ead a month into my k1 visa in the hopes that it will extend the other side and overlap with the aos filing and processing of the i-765, thus giving me continuous work authorization? (should we go this route rita, i'm just considering all options!)

oh yippee. the joys of bureacracy.

incidentally, feeling slightly guilty as i am for all this "take take take" of your advice and knowledge recently, i'd just like to say (opening myself up for all kinds of interesting comments no doubt) that anything on laura ingalls wilder, or little house on the prairie, fire away. i'm your woman 'fraid that's all i can offer as a barter
Old Apr 19th 2001, 10:58 pm
Rete

For 90% of the INS offices, the first 90 day EAD is free. But then again not all of
the INS offices will issue it. I don't recall if Seattle INS will issue the 90 day
EAD so will leave that to someone else to advise. And you are correct, it is only
good for the 90 days that the K-1 is good for so applying later in the process won't
help at all.

Something that you have overlooked is that the employer might be willing to allow you
to continue working with only the receipt for the one year EAD. Some employers are
willing to take that risk and some aren't.

BTW check out the AOS page: http://www.kamya.com/aos/washington.html#seattle

The one year EAD is taking from 4 to 6 weeks to be issued. So don't think you are
going to be having the problem that you anticipate. If you are planning on a big
wedding, then come to the US a little later than you originally planned so that there
isn't a time lapse in coverage.

Rita

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

Old Apr 20th 2001, 2:17 pm
RJLiles

You should try doing a little less assuming and a little more studying.

The 90 day EAD is FREE.

The 1 year EAD is $100.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 20th 2001, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

misskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant future

Originally posted by RJLiles
You should try doing a little less assuming and a little more studying.

The 90 day EAD is FREE.

The 1 year EAD is $100.

thank you for your confirmation.

surely studying engenders assumptions based on the information you have discovered, and increasing one can only increase the other? i apologise if you feel that my post was unnecessarily time-consuming, but having studied websites and the official ins documentation regarding ead fees and applications, i brought my assumptions to the knowledge of the newsgroup for their comment, which has been amply and helpfully given. one assumption confirmed, one rebutted, but isn't that what learning's all about