Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

9 months in...Our experience relocating to NYC

Wikiposts

9 months in...Our experience relocating to NYC

Old May 12th 2014, 5:36 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9 months in...Our experience relocating to NYC

Originally Posted by Leslie
Well not everybody takes such pride in being a liar.
It's easy. You just have to realise you're being screwed by your letting agency and act as appropriate.
Old May 12th 2014, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Mine has that as well. A couple of thoughts:

1. They're not going to evict you. It will cost them far too much to secure another tenant and serve notice on you.

2. You can simply state 'we collected <pet's name> yesterday and we were going to let you know later today'. Let them prove otherwise.

That's my approach at any rate. Landlords attempting to charge more for pets is an outrage, which simply motivates me to have a '**** you' approach to them.
Well, I have known a few landlords to evict people over unsanctioned pets. And there are plenty of private (and commercial) that don't allow pets at all. As far pet rent being a rip off, I don't disagree, but you can either pay it or find somewhere else to live.
Old May 12th 2014, 6:47 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

That's my approach at any rate. Landlords attempting to charge more for pets is an outrage, which simply motivates me to have a '**** you' approach to them.
It really isn't -- not everyone is a good "pet parent" when they are living in someone else's property. Even if there is no overt damage that is covered by a special pet security deposit, there can be problems such as allergy concerns for the next tenant that require remediation.
Old May 12th 2014, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

1. They're not going to evict you. It will cost them far too much to secure another tenant and serve notice on you.

2. You can simply state 'we collected <pet's name> yesterday and we were going to let you know later today'. Let them prove otherwise.

This advice, will never be made into a 'sticky'.
Old May 12th 2014, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where you got your information from but if you are evicted for breaking rules in the lease, you are responsible for the costs of finding a new tenant, time that the apartment/house is empty, the cost of filing and securing the eviction, and any damages that the pets do and that can be substantial.

In a civil suit, the plaintiff does not have to prove reasonable doubt but just what is more likely.

You obviously have never owned a home with a dog but I've seen homes where hardwood floors, doors, carpets, and lawns that were destroyed by dogs.

Last edited by Michael; May 12th 2014 at 7:13 am.
Old May 12th 2014, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I don't know where you got your information from but if you are evicted for breaking rules in the lease, you are responsible for the costs of finding a new tenant, time that the apartment/house is empty, the cost of filing and securing the eviction, and any damages that the pets do and that can be substantial.

In a civil suit, the plaintiff does not have to prove reasonable doubt but just what is more likely.

You obviously have never owned a home with a dog but I've seen homes where hardwood floors, doors, carpets, and lawns were destroyed by dogs.
The hair of the previous owners' dog was knotted in with the carpet with our last UK house - we tried to get it out but had to replace them. When we moved into our US house, the yard was one big doggie toilet and the doors were clawed.
Old May 12th 2014, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Well, I have known a few landlords to evict people over unsanctioned pets. And there are plenty of private (and commercial) that don't allow pets at all. As far pet rent being a rip off, I don't disagree, but you can either pay it or find somewhere else to live.
I disagree. Even with my very good cats, they claw the carpet, occasionally miss the litter box, pee on the lawn, and play with the drapes. Although none of that can be directly proven to be caused by the cat when renting, damage does occur.
Old May 12th 2014, 8:08 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
It really isn't
Yes, it is.

It is completely unjustifiable to charge pet rent, given a security deposit could simply be held instead to cover any issues which arise from the keeping of a pet.
Old May 12th 2014, 8:10 am
Banned

I disagree. Even with my very good cats, they claw the carpet, occasionally miss the litter box, pee on the lawn, and play with the drapes. Although none of that can be directly proven to be caused by the cat when renting, damage does occur.
So charge an animal security deposit. Don't charge an extortionate fee each month on the basis your pet *may* do something wrong.
Old May 12th 2014, 8:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by captainsensible
This advice, will never be made into a 'sticky'.
Of course it won't. But that's why I will probably always have more money in my bank account than those that decide to pay these outrageous fees.
Old May 12th 2014, 8:15 am
Banned

I'm sure the request for such monies can go in the bin, along with the rest of my rubbish. Personally, I don't particularly 'fear' such threats. These types of landlords just prey on the naivety of others who don't have the funds to fight back.
Old May 12th 2014, 8:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The hair of the previous owners' dog was knotted in with the carpet with our last UK house - we tried to get it out but had to replace them. When we moved into our US house, the yard was one big doggie toilet and the doors were clawed.
This is definitely a case where an animal security deposit should not have been refunded in full, as clearly there needed to be repairs completed. A security deposit system wouldn't raise as much money for the private landlords though, hence why they don't use it.

That's thing thing people here (especially the American's) have to remember about the States: nothing is done here that doesn't have the sole effect of increasing profits.
Old May 12th 2014, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

This is definitely a case where an animal security deposit should not have been refunded in full, as clearly there needed to be repairs completed. A security deposit system wouldn't raise as much money for the private landlords though, hence why they don't use it.

That's thing thing people here (especially the American's) have to remember about the States: nothing is done here that doesn't have the sole effect of increasing profits.
That was buying, but just pointing out that pets can contribute to wear and tear. The carpets thing wasn't immediately obvious.
Old May 12th 2014, 8:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That was buying, but just pointing out that pets can contribute to wear and tear. The carpets thing wasn't immediately obvious.
Agreed, can be tricky, especially if you don't see it before purchase.
Old May 12th 2014, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm sure the request for such monies can go in the bin, along with the rest of my rubbish. Personally, I don't particularly 'fear' such threats. These types of landlords just prey on the naivety of others who don't have the funds to fight back.
You will likely change your mind if you ever rent out your home. The unseen and/or unprovable damage (carpets, dead lawns and bushes, etc.) that pets can do usually exceeds the non refundable deposit that renters pay. That is why the majority of homeowners will not rent to people with dogs and possibly even cats. Even when damage is proven, the renter thinks that anything can be touched up such as hardwood doors but a touched up hardwood door seldom looks the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.