Reload this Page >

9 months in...Our experience relocating to NYC

Wikiposts

9 months in...Our experience relocating to NYC

Old May 9th 2014, 6:44 am
California Dreamin

Lilly77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 9 months in...Our experience relocating to NYC

Great post and informative for us especially, as we are in the midst of choosing which shipping company to go for!
Regarding shipping, is there anything you wish you'd taken with you but didn't? Or anything you could've/should've left behind?
Old May 9th 2014, 7:02 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lilly77
Great post and informative for us especially, as we are in the midst of choosing which shipping company to go for!
Regarding shipping, is there anything you wish you'd taken with you but didn't? Or anything you could've/should've left behind?
I wish I had left my UK cables and hairdryer. I brought most of them back with me a few months after when I returned to the UK for a week.
Old May 10th 2014, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

hypascend is an unknown quantity at this point

Ponyo - I am interested in your choice of location. We are about to embark on move to NYC and we are weighing up locations at the moment. Can you let me know why you chose Brooklyn (might be as simple as work location)?
Old May 11th 2014, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Clrsth is a jewel in the roughClrsth is a jewel in the roughClrsth is a jewel in the roughClrsth is a jewel in the rough

Great post -we're moving to Philadelphia in the summer - I'm excited but nervous too - my kids are about sames ages as yours so glad it's working out for you
Old May 11th 2014, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clrsth
Great post -we're moving to Philadelphia in the summer
We're moving to State College, Pa. about 3 hours out of Philly in the summer too.

Steve
Old May 12th 2014, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

mrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond repute

Really interesting post..... my husband has been here (Connecticut) since January this year and I've had multiple trips back and forward, finally joined him with our 2 dogs last week (was very worried about the dogs travelling, but they both arrived safely, thankfully!). Our initial impressions are just how expensive some things are.... cars, car insurance, property taxes, food, compulsory tipping etc. We're trying to find a house to buy and finding the process with real estate agents very frustrating.... I wanted to spend last Friday viewing houses, but my realtor was fully booked, so I need to wait til she has a slot (is it OK to contact the selling agent direct to arrange viewings or does it have to be realtor to realtor?). We have good corporate health cover, but really struggling to find information on how things actually work and what things mean (lots of alien terminology), husband's HR support rarely replies to emails and HR's phone usually on voicemail. We are currently struggling to see a lot of positives, although I know it's early days, so I'm sure things will get easier.... and encouraging to see so many others are very happy here.
Old May 12th 2014, 1:49 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsmaccmoo
Really interesting post..... my husband has been here (Connecticut) since January this year and I've had multiple trips back and forward, finally joined him with our 2 dogs last week (was very worried about the dogs travelling, but they both arrived safely, thankfully!). Our initial impressions are just how expensive some things are.... cars, car insurance, property taxes, food, compulsory tipping etc.
I only lease, but when I was looking at cars I found new cars to be cheaper here but used ones are going for silly prices. My car insurance I think is quite reasonable - $1k for me - but I've been told that with Geico in CA apparently you can insure an Aston Martin and a Mustang for $1k a year, but I don't think $1k is too bad. It's around what I was paying in England.

We're trying to find a house to buy and finding the process with real estate agents very frustrating.... I wanted to spend last Friday viewing houses, but my realtor was fully booked, so I need to wait til she has a slot (is it OK to contact the selling agent direct to arrange viewings or does it have to be realtor to realtor?).
I've found realtor's to be generally a waste of time. Just look online yourself, sign up to their mailing databases, and attend open houses.

We have good corporate health cover, but really struggling to find information on how things actually work and what things mean (lots of alien terminology), husband's HR support rarely replies to emails and HR's phone usually on voicemail. We are currently struggling to see a lot of positives, although I know it's early days, so I'm sure things will get easier.... and encouraging to see so many others are very happy here.
I still haven't found many positives about 'living' in America frankly. It's a great place to visit on holiday, but live here? Unless you're a millionaire who can afford to live out on the West coast, then personally I don't see many positives to living here.
Old May 12th 2014, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Really interesting post..... my husband has been here (Connecticut) since January this year and I've had multiple trips back and forward, finally joined him with our 2 dogs last week (was very worried about the dogs travelling, but they both arrived safely, thankfully!). Our initial impressions are just how expensive some things are.... cars, car insurance, property taxes, food, compulsory tipping etc. We're trying to find a house to buy and finding the process with real estate agents very frustrating.... I wanted to spend last Friday viewing houses, but my realtor was fully booked, so I need to wait til she has a slot (is it OK to contact the selling agent direct to arrange viewings or does it have to be realtor to realtor?). We have good corporate health cover, but really struggling to find information on how things actually work and what things mean (lots of alien terminology), husband's HR support rarely replies to emails and HR's phone usually on voicemail. We are currently struggling to see a lot of positives, although I know it's early days, so I'm sure things will get easier.... and encouraging to see so many others are very happy here.
Don't buy a house if you're struggling to see the positives.
Old May 12th 2014, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Great post!

We are 68 days away from our move to NYC (still doesn't feel real at the moment). Visas all sorted and packing well under way (although not as far as we would like).

Did you and your partner go on L1/L2 visas?

Last edited by H Bomb; May 12th 2014 at 3:48 am.
Old May 12th 2014, 4:00 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

So glad that the dogs arrived safely -- that is very good news! I'm afraid that Fairfield County is indeed a very expensive place to live. Perhaps you could put your foot down with the realtor and suggest that she assign a colleague to take you out to look at houses -- or just go to another firm (I presume you have nothing in writing as you are only looking at this point?). However, I would second Sally Redux's suggestion that you not buy a house until you are sure that the US is for you. And your OH should let his CEO or department head know that he is getting no support from HR -- this is no time to be polite and British!
Old May 12th 2014, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

mrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond reputemrsmaccmoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
So glad that the dogs arrived safely -- that is very good news! I'm afraid that Fairfield County is indeed a very expensive place to live. Perhaps you could put your foot down with the realtor and suggest that she assign a colleague to take you out to look at houses -- or just go to another firm (I presume you have nothing in writing as you are only looking at this point?). However, I would second Sally Redux's suggestion that you not buy a house until you are sure that the US is for you. And your OH should let his CEO or department head know that he is getting no support from HR -- this is no time to be polite and British!

main reason for wanting to buy is that the rental options with 2 dogs are really dreadful and very expensive.... we'll be here at least 2 years, so we're calculating that if we buy carefully, it will be less of a financial loss than renting for 2 years (even after factoring in real estate agent fees etc).... hopefully!
Old May 12th 2014, 4:24 am
Banned

main reason for wanting to buy is that the rental options with 2 dogs are really dreadful and very expensive.... we'll be here at least 2 years, so we're calculating that if we buy carefully, it will be less of a financial loss than renting for 2 years (even after factoring in real estate agent fees etc).... hopefully!
You could just not tell them you'll be keeping the dogs?
Old May 12th 2014, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
You could just not tell them you'll be keeping the dogs?
Errr..pretty much every lease we've ever signed specifically states that if you don't have prior approval to have pets on the premises, it can be grounds for eviction if caught with them. Not recommended to go this route.
Old May 12th 2014, 5:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Errr..pretty much every lease we've ever signed specifically states that if you don't have prior approval to have pets on the premises, it can be grounds for eviction if caught with them. Not recommended to go this route.
Mine has that as well. A couple of thoughts:

1. They're not going to evict you. It will cost them far too much to secure another tenant and serve notice on you.

2. You can simply state 'we collected <pet's name> yesterday and we were going to let you know later today'. Let them prove otherwise.

That's my approach at any rate. Landlords attempting to charge more for pets is an outrage, which simply motivates me to have a '**** you' approach to them.
Old May 12th 2014, 5:31 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Mine has that as well. A couple of thoughts:

1. They're not going to evict you. It will cost them far too much to secure another tenant and serve notice on you.

2. You can simply state 'we collected <pet's name> yesterday and we were going to let you know later today'. Let them prove otherwise.

That's my approach at any rate. Landlords attempting to charge more for pets is an outrage, which simply motivates me to have a '**** you' approach to them.
Well not everybody takes such pride in being a liar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.