Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

78 year old mum - Health Insurance?

78 year old mum - Health Insurance?

Old May 28th 2012, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 78 year old mum - Health Insurance?

Originally Posted by LexieLou
Sorry but what does moot mean?
It means that if you are a permanent resident (Green card holder) but not a US citizen you cannot sponsor your mother.

Family of Green Card Holders (Permanent Residents)

As a green card holder (permanent resident), you may petition for certain family members to immigrate to the United States as permanent residents.

You May Petition For The Following Family Members:

Spouse (husband or wife)
Unmarried children under 21
Unmarried son or daughter of any age
Old May 28th 2012, 12:28 am
Just Joined

LexieLou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
It means that if you are a permanent resident (Green card holder) but not a US citizen you cannot sponsor your mother.

Family of Green Card Holders (Permanent Residents)

As a green card holder (permanent resident), you may petition for certain family members to immigrate to the United States as permanent residents.

You May Petition For The Following Family Members:

Spouse (husband or wife)
Unmarried children under 21
Unmarried son or daughter of any age
\

Ok I understand, but I was told that as she is over 65 years old she would be allowed over without a visa. Is that incorrect?
Old May 28th 2012, 12:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

\

Ok I understand, but I was told that as she is over 65 years old she would be allowed over without a visa. Is that incorrect?
That is incorrect.

As a retired person, chances of getting a B2 visa to allow maximum 6 month is fairly doable. Getting medical insurance for that length of time, at that age on the other hand is probably not.
Old May 28th 2012, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

\

Unfortunately, absolutely incorrect. As Bob say she could get a B-2 which would allow trips up to 6 months but that's it I'm afraid.

You are not even Green Card holders are you, having only arrived in the US in December 2011? Not that that would help you in these circumstances.
Old May 28th 2012, 1:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but what does moot mean?
Hypothetical.
Old May 28th 2012, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Ok so the best way is to use UK Travel insurance and she comes over here for a few months at a time. She has UK Travel insurance that covers her annually. especially for the USA.

Thank you
Old May 28th 2012, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Sorry just another quick question, how do all the UK elderly who retire in Florida manage to do this?
Old May 28th 2012, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry just another quick question, how do all the UK elderly who retire in Florida manage to do this?
Travel insurance while they are able to afford it. I suspect for some, it becomes unsustainable. I remember being the post office recently and overhearing a conversation where a chap was buying Euros and was saying that his son lives in America and that he & his wife used to visit for 6 months at a time, but couldn't do so now as they simply couldn't afford the insurance.
Old May 28th 2012, 2:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Travel insurance while they are able to afford it. I suspect for some, it becomes unsustainable. I remember being the post office recently and overhearing a conversation where a chap was buying Euros and was saying that his son lives in America and that he & his wife used to visit for 6 months at a time, but couldn't do so now as they simply couldn't afford the insurance.
Cost $1K for 2 weeks insurance for my then 84 year MIL.
Old May 28th 2012, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rebs
Yes, I know...sad. There is a lot that is good about the NHS, and you dont realise until you are here. We plan to stay here forever but just worried about mum now, especially as she has no family in the UK. Obviously life takes turns you don't expect, like my dad passing unexpectedly.

My son loves it here and has settled really well in school and my job is good but lets see whats around the corner, non of us can plan anything.

Thanks for your replies.
Old May 28th 2012, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Cost $1K for 2 weeks insurance for my then 84 year MIL.
My mum was originally quoted 500gbp for one year but has managed to get it down with a medical insurer to just 200gbp. It covers everything as well, pretty good deal. That includes her telling them her full medical history.
Old May 28th 2012, 2:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My mum was originally quoted 500gbp for one year but has managed to get it down with a medical insurer to just 200gbp. It covers everything as well, pretty good deal. That includes her telling them her full medical history.
Of course there are insurance policies...then there are insurance policies. Make sure she has a watertight policy....high coverage...low deductibles...repatriation etc. Any illnesses/visits to the doctor/ change in meds or new meds...are reported in writing to the ins company.

When you hit 80 it then becomes increasingly more difficult to get travel insurance. I insured my MIL with one company...the doc changed her meds within the 6 month window before she was due to travel...the insurance company pulled the cover.

Not many people are able to visit when they get into their 80s. Not just because of insurance...the journey takes it's toll on the elderly...plus they may have various medical appointments back home. All you can do is take it year by year....or decide if it is easier for you and your son to move back now or 'x' number of years down the line.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 28th 2012 at 2:23 pm.
Old May 28th 2012, 2:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know...sad. There is a lot that is good about the NHS, and you dont realise until you are here. We plan to stay here forever but just worried about mum now, especially as she has no family in the UK. Obviously life takes turns you don't expect, like my dad passing unexpectedly.

My son loves it here and has settled really well in school and my job is good but lets see whats around the corner, non of us can plan anything.

Thanks for your replies.
LexieLou, not sure how old your son is now, but he could spend extended periods in the UK over school holidays to help out his grandmother maybe.. Our son spent a year in Paris for college, and he was constantly nipping over to London to bail out Grandma!
Old May 28th 2012, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
LexieLou, not sure how old your son is now, but he could spend extended periods in the UK over school holidays to help out his grandmother maybe.. Our son spent a year in Paris for college, and he was constantly nipping over to London to bail out Grandma!
Good Idea Robin. Our son is 15, and first year high, may be good for him to visit her in the summer hols to help her out. Somehow we will find a way I am sure.
Old May 28th 2012, 4:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's because it'll just repatriate her. Not much use for every day stuff, especially is she is on any meds.

Have a look at the small print to see if it covers a specific continuous length of time for a trip, because a lot won't cover anything over 30 days in one go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.