British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   The 700 Club (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/700-club-247818/)

dgsyd1 Aug 10th 2004 1:37 pm

The 700 Club

I'm trying to work out whether The 700 Club is the funniest, or the most disturbing program on television, and I'm thinking it's a little of both. IMHO it seems to represent everyting that is wrong with the christian faith in the world today, and is nothing more than a mouthpiece for the more right wing elements of the Republican party. I stumbled on this morning, only to find that they're doing a story that is basically a character assasination on John Kerry, and another saying that stem cell research might cause cancer. Needless to say I turned the channel after a short while.
I don't usually have a problem with religious programming, but programs like this and some of the others the seem to be a staple of morning television in the US really annoy me. Makes me long for the days of Songs Of Praise, or those shows on a Sunday afternoon presented by Thora Hird :)

Daniel

Manc Aug 10th 2004 1:50 pm

Re: The 700 Club

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
I'm trying to work out whether The 700 Club is the funniest, or the most disturbing program on television, and I'm thinking it's a little of both. IMHO it seems to represent everyting that is wrong with the christian faith in the world today, and is nothing more than a mouthpiece for the more right wing elements of the Republican party. I stumbled on this morning, only to find that they're doing a story that is basically a character assasination on John Kerry, and another saying that stem cell research might cause cancer. Needless to say I turned the channel after a short while.
I don't usually have a problem with religious programming, but programs like this and some of the others the seem to be a staple of morning television in the US really annoy me. Makes me long for the days of Songs Of Praise, or those shows on a Sunday afternoon presented by Thora Hird :)

Daniel

Never watched it Dan, seen the commercials on TV though for it, so as I am aware it's on the box, I steer clear.

Pimpbot Aug 10th 2004 2:09 pm

They had Pat Boone on a few weeks back. The guy clearly didn't have a damn clue on what he was talking about, in regards to the war in Iraq/terror.

edwords Aug 10th 2004 2:37 pm

Daniel

Now what was really scary was back in the 1990s when 700 Club host Pat Robertson was running for the Republican nomination for president. :eek:

dgsyd1 Aug 10th 2004 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by edwords
Now what was really scary was back in the 1990s when 700 Club host Pat Robertson was running for the Republican nomination for president. :eek:

That's going to give me nightmares now, it's bad enough knowing Dubya is the one with his finger on the button at the moment, but Pat Robertson in the same position is an even more frightening thought.

AmerLisa Aug 10th 2004 4:29 pm

Daniel

I'm telling you, its better than SNL (and that's not saying much these days) I've only ever watched these programs in passing, and only for a good laugh. I find it horribly criminal that these people receive thousands of dollars in donaations and are a bunch of morons. But that's just my opinion. :D

rincewind Aug 10th 2004 5:46 pm

The religious right are very good at damning things they know nothing about. They state wild claims such as "stem cell research may cause cancer" with no medical evidence to back up that claim.

What's even worse, is that there are closed minded people out there that will hear this and believe it without even doing any research. I watched a show last night about a kid that had bubble boy syndrome and stem cell treatment cured him when everything else failed. Boy, stem cell research sure is dangerous :rolleyes:

But you know what? Let the religious right ignore medical science. Let them wait for their gods to heal them. All it will do is speed up their demise and the quicker they are off this planet the better it will be.

Sorry, bug up my arse this morning. Just watched Outfoxed and feeling anti-everything.

nxylas Aug 11th 2004 5:42 pm

I accidentally caught 5 minutes of it once, when it came on after something I was watching (The American version of Whose Line...?, IIRC) and I was too tired to reach for the remote to turn the TV off. Songs Of Praise was never like this!

Duncs Aug 11th 2004 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind
But you know what? Let the religious right ignore medical science. Let them wait for their gods to heal them. All it will do is speed up their demise and the quicker they are off this planet the better it will be.

If only. Unfortunately they will simply make it hard for the research to be done but once they get ill they will be squealing as loud as anyone for the cure.

jambo_2004 Aug 11th 2004 6:08 pm

Very bigoted and disturbing show. There was some guy talking about lynching gays a few months back on there. It took days for the programme makers to condemn the guys comments.