British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   64 kgs baggage each - what should we pack? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/64-kgs-baggage-each-what-should-we-pack-896435/)

catlover3 May 7th 2017 12:06 pm

64 kgs baggage each - what should we pack?

Two weeks to go (sorry for my continued updates)!

As we have the pleasure of flying Upper Class (first time ever! Planning to arrive at the airport super early to scrounge the lounge freebies), we have 64kgs of luggage weight each.

Although PSS are sending our stuff by crate next week, I think we should be prudent and take as much as possible. Does anyone have any tips as to what is essential?

I remember moving to New York for my PhD in 2008 and not even having a plate to eat from, so planning to take a small kitchen "starter pack" in our checked in luggage at least.

nun May 7th 2017 12:52 pm

Re: 64 kgs baggage each - what should we pack?

Just because you have a luggage allowance does not mean you should use it. I would take as little as possible onto the plane.....why take a "small kitchen"? when you can buy plates in America. Traveling lightly makes any journey far easier and more enjoyable.

tom169 May 7th 2017 12:57 pm

Pack clothes, heirlooms and light electronics.

On your first day just head to Walmart and "Bed Bath & Beyond" and pick up some household supplies.

You can eat out for a few nights until you're setup.

Jerseygirl May 7th 2017 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by catlover3 (Post 12246844)

As we have the pleasure of flying Upper Class (first time ever! Planning to arrive at the airport super early to scrounge the lounge freebies), we have 64kgs of luggage weight each.

Although PSS are sending our stuff by crate next week, I think we should be prudent and take as much as possible. Does anyone have any tips as to what is essential?

I remember moving to New York for my PhD in 2008 and not even having a plate to eat from, so planning to take a small kitchen "starter pack" in our checked in luggage at least.

We took approx 12 pieces of luggage. I admit to packing a couple of mugs, plates, knife/fork/spoons. We stayed in a hotel for a few days which allowed us to shop for beds and essentials. We bought a set garden furniture to help us get by while we shopped for furniture. We kept out UK house therefore we didn't ship any furniture.

catlover3 May 7th 2017 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by nun (Post 12246859)
Just because you have a luggage allowance does not mean you should use it. I would take as little as possible onto the plane.....why take a "small kitchen"? when you can buy plates in America. Traveling lightly makes any journey far easier and more enjoyable.

I agree. I love traveling light! And feeling smug when I see people overloaded with baggage.:rofl:

But it is expensive, silly and also not very environmentally friendly to buy things you already own!

catlover3 May 7th 2017 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12246867)
We took approx 12 pieces of luggage. I admit to packing a couple of mugs, plates, knife/fork/spoons. We stayed in a hotel for a few days which allowed us to shop for beds and essentials. We bought a set garden furniture to help us get by while we shopped for furniture. We kept out UK house therefore we didn't ship any furniture.

12! Wow!

I am definitely taking cutlery. Its one of those items we just have so much of, I can't bear to buy anymore.

tom169 May 7th 2017 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by catlover3 (Post 12246873)
But it is expensive, silly and also not very environmentally friendly to buy things you already own!

Expensive? Sure if you buy some nice ones.

I disagree on the environmentally friendly portion... Just donate the old ones to a charity shop instead of throwing them away. That way someone can reuse them.

DaveLovesDee May 7th 2017 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by catlover3 (Post 12246844)

Have you ever tried moving 64kg of luggage on your own? :p

I can lift 25kg if I need to, but when I travel, I pack no more than 1 x 20kg case and a 10-15kg backpack.

scrubbedexpat099 May 7th 2017 1:54 pm

What is the Global Warming impact of carrying all that stuff?

Twinkle0927 May 7th 2017 2:18 pm

Only bring what you can't bear to live without. Photos, a few sets of clothes and shoes and other things you'll need in the first few weeks. The good news is you can buy anything you want and need here. It's a new life, a new start. I don't see the connection with the environment? You can donate things you aren't taking to people in need. I gave a lot of things to a homeless shelter when I left the U.K. (bedding, kitchen things, etc). And you can buy used here if you feel so passionately about it. We have bought one new thing here - a bed. Everything else that we have is pre-owned. And that's through choice because we love rummaging around thrift stores. Nothing about flying upper class with 64kg of luggage each is good for the environment! � ����

Pulaski May 7th 2017 2:38 pm

We did something similar - air-freighted a couple of trunks of things to have immediately until our surface shipment arrived six weeks later. We took extra clothes, two place settings, essential kitchen utensils, herbs and spices, and a few books.

scrubbedexpat099 May 7th 2017 2:39 pm

Herbs?

mikelincs May 7th 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12246907)
Herbs?

He said 'Herbs' not ''erbs'

tom169 May 7th 2017 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12246905)
We did something similar - air-freighted a couple of trunks of things to have immediately until our surface shipment arrived six weeks later. We took extra clothes, two place settings, essential kitchen utensils, herbs and spices, and a few books.

Sounds like they came in use recently.

scrubbedexpat099 May 7th 2017 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12246911)
He said 'Herbs' not ''erbs'

Medicinal?