Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

6 weeks in US , (Bay area ) -keep calm and carry on

6 weeks in US , (Bay area ) -keep calm and carry on

Old Aug 16th 2017, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute
Default 6 weeks in US , (Bay area ) -keep calm and carry on

Hello guys !

hope you are all well.

thanks for the sweet message from some of you guys . I am still here and alive!

I have been really busy since we got the key for the new house from 3 weeks ago. I love this house and the neighbours are friendly enough. however I was so emotional and fragile after I moved in.I think finally I realised that we live here but not just visiting. at some point of last week, I almost booked a ticket back to London . it was just getting too much with buying everything for the new house , getting spaces for children in school...so in the end, I called my sister in Cambridge and talked to her for 3 hours and cried my eyes out ....guess what ,I felt much better afterwards.

anyway things are getting better with children went back to school , they can have their routine back which means make my life easier. my driving is also getting better although the 4 way junctions still getting on my nerves sometimes.

all in all, 6 weeks in , what I have learned is : doesn't matter how many international moves you have done, leaving you comfort zone is not easy and be gentle and true to yourself. don't do what I have done, hide all the emtions and pretend it is easy like walking in a park to your partner.

thanks for listening and have a great week!
Old Aug 16th 2017, 11:53 am
Just Joined

LisaH1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 6 weeks in US , (Bay area ) -keep calm and carry on

Hi,

I'm just beginning the whole process and slightly terrified.

We moved (me, hubby & 3 boys) from London to a small town outside Bristol nearly 3 years ago, and always dismissed USA as an option but we've not settled too well here (I still miss London soooo much!) and this doesn't feel like 'home' and now we're reconsidering the Bay area because hubby has been offered a few opportunities there.

My head is all over the place! How are you settling, do you think you'll eventually feel like it's home?

Lisa x