Reload this Page >

6 week countdown!

6 week countdown!

Old Jan 8th 2014, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Lwall06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 week countdown!

Hi!

After a few months of waiting around for the final go ahead from my husbands company, our relocation to the US looks imminent!
We have been asked to be based around Detroit, (commutable) we are looking around the Walled Lake, Bloomfield, Novi, or Farmington Hills area. (I realise this is vague!!)

The visas and medical stuff are all covered by the company and there is no question about that. I am however nearly 5 months pregnant and need some tips on setting up with medical care and hospital check in etc.
We are a family of four with a small dog, and have been researching the houses that we can rent for a year or so.

My main concerns are getting to the right hospital etc for the delievery of the baby in june. But realise i can sort the majority of that when we are out there. One of my other concerns is getting the children into school once we have the relevent paperwork and proof of residency. Has anyone experienced any problems with starting mid term? I guess we would be arriving end of Feb-middle of March.

We have been asked to go on a "scouting trip" within the next few weeks once the relocation and offer has been finalised. A relative of mine thinks we should be taking the children (8 and 5) along with us to check the houses and schools etc, but i don't want to scare them. Has anyone else done this?

I have lists of things to do coming out of my ears and people to contact for renting our property in the UK out. If anyone has any tips or ideas of how to make this work stress free for the whole family, would appreciate it. The links on this website are also very helpful and bookmarked to go back to, so thanks for that!

Thankyou for your time!!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 week countdown!

Walled Lake/Novi area is lovely.
I've spent some time there.

Very cold in winter though.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

LJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the rough

I personally would advise against taking your kiddies on your first visit.

Two of my 3 are older than yours, and to be honest, they would probably have been a bit of a pain (as much as I love them) if we had brought any of them for our look & see trip. That way you can do what you want when you want and not have to think about keeping your children happy and occupied.

I don't know the area, but before you leave I would suggest you research the schools first before you decide where to live.

The schools we chose for our kids narrowed down the area we needed to find a rental home. Made life a lot easier and wasted less time.

Good luck x

Last edited by LJSassy; Jan 8th 2014 at 7:31 pm. Reason: edit
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

I agree with the PP as to NOT taking the kids. Go check things out on your own timetable and make your decision on which location to live, which schools to attend and the hospital and doctor (this is A LOT to do in one trip though. I'd recommend just doing the housing/schooling in one visit and save the doc/hosp once you've moved).
Once you've decided the important stuff, then give the kids a choice where you can allow them to make such as which bedroom to have or what colour to paint the walls. Don't let them sway the big decisions just because they liked the look of the playground in one of the schools etc