Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

6 months US/UK

6 months US/UK

Old Jul 9th 2011, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

countrygirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 months US/UK

Anyone know if you have a residence in UK and only use it part time , maybe 3-6months , if you can still get health coverage as a temporary resident? There must be many Brits that live between the UK and another country - in my case the US.. I am a dual citizen .. Thanks
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:02 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months US/UK

Hi and welcome to BE,

I've moved your question from the Welcome Inn to our Moving Back to the UK forum. I know you aren't moving back but felt it may be more relevant to move your post to this section.

I don't know for sure but I believe that you have to have moved back permanently in order to qualify for free healthcare from the NHS. Or are you asking about your US health insurance covering you whilst you are in the UK?

Others may have some experiences of this and I'm sure someone will be along soon who will share info.

In the meantime take some time to read through the other threads.

Welcome again and I hope you will enjoy being part of our community.

Sue
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

countrygirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi and welcome to BE,

I've moved your question from the Welcome Inn to our Moving Back to the UK forum. I know you aren't moving back but felt it may be more relevant to move your post to this section.

I don't know for sure but I believe that you have to have moved back permanently in order to qualify for free healthcare from the NHS. Or are you asking about your US health insurance covering you whilst you are in the UK?

Others may have some experiences of this and I'm sure someone will be along soon who will share info.

In the meantime take some time to read through the other threads.

Welcome again and I hope you will enjoy being part of our community.

Sue
Thanks Sue.. I have US health coverage that is supposed to cover when travel , but I'm buying an apartment in UK after 30 years away.. I want to be able to spend part of year in both places .. There must be many that own residences in both US and UK and I'm wondering how they manage health coverage .. I am a dual citizen
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:40 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by countrygirl33
Thanks Sue.. I have US health coverage that is supposed to cover when travel , but I'm buying an apartment in UK after 30 years away.. I want to be able to spend part of year in both places .. There must be many that own residences in both US and UK and I'm wondering how they manage health coverage .. I am a dual citizen
To be honest I don't know, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who may have experience of this.

I don't usually do this, but I am going to copy your thread and also put in in the USA section too, as I'm still not sure the best forum for this discussion, so this way we can get thoughts from both sides
Old Jul 11th 2011, 6:46 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by countrygirl33
Anyone know if you have a residence in UK and only use it part time , maybe 3-6months , if you can still get health coverage as a temporary resident? There must be many Brits that live between the UK and another country - in my case the US.. I am a dual citizen .. Thanks
But where are you principally resident? Sounds like a case of just getting good travel insurance to me.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:33 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
But where are you principally resident? Sounds like a case of just getting good travel insurance to me.
I agree - it'd be very difficult and expensive to get US health coverage for part of the year.

If it were me I would look into establishing UK residency and finding a good travel insurance company which would cover you for your US visits. You may be limited to less than six months per US trip depending on the insurance.

Is your US health coverage through a US employer?