British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   6 arrested (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/6-arrested-338454/)

doctor scrumpy Nov 20th 2005 9:01 am

6 arrested

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/19112005/32...-s-killer.html

Nice to see the Police move heaven and earth to catch a cop killer.

Silverdragon102 Nov 20th 2005 9:14 am

Re: 6 arrested

very sad that it has happened. Live in Bradford so was out abd about in town yesterday, made a somber day. Plenty of police and community police support workers around.

NC Penguin Nov 20th 2005 10:33 am

In the UK at the moment. It's a big story. The woman police officer was unarmed and mother to five (three her own, two stepchildren).

I'm only reading the Guardian but I'm sure this murder will reignite debate in the UK about arming all police in the UK. Chilling comment in the Guardian today (11/20/05) that though firearms crimes are rising in England (might be UK as whole), the number of armed police is falling. Doesn't make sense really.

The travel agent that was robbed was a prime target because the customers pay in cash so there's a lot of liquid assets sitting like a goldmine for a criminally minded person....

NC Penguin

Silverdragon102 Nov 20th 2005 11:36 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
In the UK at the moment. It's a big story. The woman police officer was unarmed and mother to five (three her own, two stepchildren).

I'm only reading the Guardian but I'm sure this murder will reignite debate in the UK about arming all police in the UK. Chilling comment in the Guardian today (11/20/05) that though firearms crimes are rising in England (might be UK as whole), the number of armed police is falling. Doesn't make sense really.

The travel agent that was robbed was a prime target because the customers pay in cash so there's a lot of liquid assets sitting like a goldmine for a criminally minded person....

NC Penguin

yes it is a big at the moment, should all police officers be armed.

Another thing re the officer who got killed, it was her youngests birthday. :(

Roadster280 Nov 20th 2005 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102

Another thing re the officer who got killed, it was her youngests birthday. :(

Makes me sick.

Murder in circumstances such as these should be punished by mandatory death.

Murder in circumstances such as "dad finds rapist on daughter" should be taken out of the hands of the father, because the rapist should also face death.

Warfare. Not welfare.

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 20th 2005 1:44 pm

Arming all UK police has been an ongoing debate for many years. You would be surprised how many UK police officers do not wish to be armed with firearms and say they would leave the job if it became mandatory. At the moment as a serving officer you can apply to become AFO (Authorised Firearms Officer) and the standards and ongoing requirements are extremely high. Wearing a police uniform is a huge responsibility and then carrying a firearm while doing so is burden many do not want.

Interestingly though, I would, on average, be asked by kids and sometimes adults about half a dozen times a month to show them my gun. Even when working as regular beat officer. Many times they simply wouldnt beleive I didnt have one.

fatbrit Nov 20th 2005 2:47 pm

The article states: "Eighty-nine police officers have been killed on duty in the last 30 years."

While any death is sad, police officers should know they are taking on a job where they will encounter violence. I wouldn't like to see Blighty going the way of the US where a dozen armed police officers will happily as a first resort shoot a single mentally ill person wielding a knife by using the argument that they were just protecting themselves. Police officers should take small risks -- it's part of their chosen job!

Silverdragon102 Nov 20th 2005 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The article states: "Eighty-nine police officers have been killed on duty in the last 30 years."

While any death is sad, police officers should know they are taking on a job where they will encounter violence. I wouldn't like to see Blighty going the way of the US where a dozen armed police officers will happily as a first resort shoot a single mentally ill person wielding a knife by using the argument that they were just protecting themselves. Police officers should take small risks -- it's part of their chosen job!

No I don't want to see UK police going the same way as the US. But wouldn't say it is a small risk when armed violence is on the increase

fatbrit Nov 20th 2005 4:03 pm

No I don't want to see UK police going the same way as the US. But wouldn't say it is a small risk when armed violence is on the increase

Only statistics I could find on a quick search were:
1980 to 1989 - 30 officers killed
1990 to 1999 - 18 officers killed
2000 to present - eight officers killed
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3350127.stm

Doesn't seem to be much evidence to back up a knee-jerk overreaction.

(P.S. How's your app going?)

fatbrit Nov 20th 2005 4:05 pm

Better stats here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...ime/html/5.stm

Elvira Nov 20th 2005 4:22 pm

AFAIK British police officers are balloted regularly on whether they want to carry guns (once every 10 years?), and an overwhelming majority (> 80%?) invariably say no.

Angry White Pyjamas Nov 20th 2005 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
AFAIK British police officers are balloted regularly on whether they want to carry guns (once every 10 years?), and an overwhelming majority (> 80%?) invariably say no.

As I said above most officers I served with did NOT wish to be armed any more than they already were.

Silverdragon102 Nov 20th 2005 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit

(P.S. How's your app going?)

Still going slow. Waiting for CA to pick up file. Wouldn't mind but already had approval once and if hosptial hadn't backed out would be heading out there about now :mad:

doctor scrumpy Nov 21st 2005 8:40 am

Given the outcry over armed cops shooting that Brazilian in the summer, seems the position of many has swung 180* in arming all police.