Reload this Page >

5 Year old with Dyslexia moving to Washington DC

5 Year old with Dyslexia moving to Washington DC

Old May 20th 2015, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Kirsty Anne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 5 Year old with Dyslexia moving to Washington DC

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice. My husband has been offered a great role in Gaithersburg MD. We have a 9 year old and 5 year old.We are trying to work out what to do as our son has Dyslexia and possibly Dyspraxia so a bilingual Syllabus (international school) will be too much for him. We are concerned however if We put him in a US school when/if we return to the UK he just won't be able to catch up.

I should explain we have lived in the US before. Our daughter attended a great private school in Pennsylvania for Kindergarten and 1st Grade. She is a bright and hard working little girl and it has taken her 18 months to catch up, back in the UK (in a private school here with extra support). So we have real first hand experience of the difference between the US and UK systems.

Does anyone have any ideas? We are looking at the international schools in Washington but we are not sure if he will cope or if they will take him. we are also considering putting him in a US private school and then, if we return, looking at American schools in the UK.

Help, any thoughts? If we can't find a solution to support him then we will stay put, We just want to make sure I have explored all our options.

Many Thanks

Kirsty
Old May 20th 2015, 12:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 Year old with Dyslexia moving to Washington DC

Where are you from, and why did you even mention a bilingual school? Not all international schools are bilingual. Isn't there a British-American school in DC? That would, arguably, not be bilingual.

I am not sure why you would want to put him into a US school, and then take him back to the UK and continue to send him to a school based on the American education system as I don't see how that can do anything but make life more difficult for him back in the UK.
Old May 20th 2015, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Try this forum: DCUM Forum

Also, you might be interested in this: http://asdec.org/about

Schools are listed under 'Services': http://asdec.org/page-1597682

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 20th 2015 at 2:43 pm.
Old May 20th 2015, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Springy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud of

Hi Kirsty

Wanted to say hi - we are moving to Maryland as well this summer. My children are teenagers so we're looking at different stages but we did consider the international school in DC and decided against it partly due to the commute my husband would have.

Has your son got a detailed IEP from his current school? That might be useful when visiting schools as it should detail his needs and strategies being used by his current school.

How long would your posting to MD be? This could have a bearing on which school option to go with.