Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

To 401k or not 401k

To 401k or not 401k

Old May 31st 2017, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To 401k or not 401k

Originally Posted by Jack8602
Do a 401k, i was in same boat when i moved, and did so.

Also the healthcare confusion - i had the same until i needed to use it.

I have a $1,250 deductible, and my work contributes $500 per year to my HSA pot, i can contribute more to my HSA should i wish.

I recently had to have stitches after a superb landing whilst skydiving, gave my insurance information to the doctors, and they charged my insurance $1,150 - Cigna then 'discounted' this to $210 - that came out of my pot, and then went toward my deductible which i never expected.

Basically i can only spend another $1,040 toward my healthcare this year, after that it's free.

Bear in mind, It's only me on my healthcare plan, i don't have to worry about kids, and the wife has her own plan with her work.
I don't think you quite understand it yet.

For most healthcare plans, and, I think, all HDHP plans (required to have the HSA you mention), you have to pay the full cost up to the deductible, yes. However, above the deductible, you have to pay a percentage of cost (for mine 20%), until you reach the out of pocket maximum, which is considerably higher.

Also, the minimum HDHP deductible for 2017 is $1300, not sure why you're quoting $1250.
Old May 31st 2017, 9:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
.... Also, the minimum HDHP deductible for 2017 is $1300, not sure why you're quoting $1250.
But if you're a light or moderate user of medical services and are unlikely to reach the minimum deductible of $1,300 (we certainly haven't in the past 8 years), then you may be able to slash your premiums by taking a higher deductible. We have deductibles of about $3k each but our aggregate insurance premiums are only $183/mth for my wife, daughter, and me.
Old May 31st 2017, 10:04 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you quite understand it yet.

For most healthcare plans, and, I think, all HDHP plans (required to have the HSA you mention), you have to pay the full cost up to the deductible, yes. However, above the deductible, you have to pay a percentage of cost (for mine 20%), until you reach the out of pocket maximum, which is considerably higher.
See, I've been here 18 months and still can't figure it out. i just pay what I'm told when i use it.

Sparked my interest, i logged onto my account, i have a $1250 deductible and $4k out of pocket maximum at a rate of 20%. I also have an HRA as opposed to HSA

What you say makes sense Owen.

Also, the minimum HDHP deductible for 2017 is $1300, not sure why you're quoting $1250.
I'm not sure - my plan deductible is definitely $1250

Fk me, healthcare plans don't make it easy to understand for newcomers.
Old May 31st 2017, 10:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
.... I'm not sure - my plan deductible is definitely $1250. .....
That's OK because you don't have HD insurance - only HD insurance has the mandatory minimum.

The problem with your HRA is that any money you put in must be used during the year, or perhaps in the first quarter of the following year, and if you change jobs you lose it. Whereas with an HSA the money is yours to use or keep, even if you switch jobs, quit working, retire, or leave the country.

If your insurance already has a $1,250 deductible then I see very little downside for you in switching to HD insurance and an HSA.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 2:22 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

If your insurance already has a $1,250 deductible then I see very little downside for you in switching to HD insurance and an HSA.
Good to know, i'll check that out on the november re-enrollment
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for the help.
Much appreciated.
For time being we're enrolled in a plan that covers healthcare, vision and dental work.
The plan can be reviewed and changed around October.
So I think we'll just hang in one what we have today, after all most important thing was to be covered then look to switch it.
I like the idea of savings based insurance.
Today's we both are low users of healthcare, in fact neither of us have needed any medical services for the last 20 years pretty much.
But that can change, so we'll definitely keep cover, especially for accidents and mishaps also.
So will look into HSA approach on renewal and by then hopefully will have a clear idea on how to approach it. Once you've built up enough savings I imagine you can rest assured you have it covered.

One question, say you left the states, or changed to a different type of plan later on, what happens with the savings? Can you get at it, is it stuck there?

As for 401k, ok sounds like this is worth doing. There will be spare money per month so this might as well go into 401k tax efficient savings than being saved net after tax into a low interest bearing regular bank account.

I wanted to be sure initially we didn't run into a cash flow issue during the move if there was an unforeseen problem. Now we're here and settling in, it looks like we're going to be ok and I'm leaving a chunk of $ in my savings account anyway just in case of the unexpected. Based on that it seems next steps will be to move to HSA savings and a 401k (and maybe a Roth later).

Thank you 🙂

Last edited by LouisB; Jun 3rd 2017 at 5:22 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB
.... One question, say you left the states, or changed to a different type of plan later on, what happens with the savings? Can you get at it, is it stuck there? ...🙂
The money in an HSA is yours, but there will be income tax and a penalty if you withdraw the money other than for qualified medical expenses before you reach retirement age (I don't recall what that is defined as for an HSA).
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

The money in an HSA is yours, but there will be income tax and a penalty if you withdraw the money other than for qualified medical expenses before you reach retirement age (I don't recall what that is defined as for an HSA).
Thank you, that's great!
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB
Thank you, that's great!
You're welcome.

Think of an HSA like a 401k, except it is tax free on the way out too, and after whatever the cut-off retirement age is, you can spend the money on anything tax free. So if you reach 70 and are diagnosed with terminal cancer and given a year to live, you could take your HSA balance and buy a Ferrari with it, or cruise the world in a state room suite.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 11:35 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

While this is probably good advice in principle, doing so is not simple. I would not advise someone to do this unless they are willing to do the research to understand how to do the US tax reporting for the rollover. I also don't know if there are UK tax complications if you carry out the rollover while tax-resident in the UK.
It needs a bit of forethought about the amount of tax the will be due, but the 401k to ROTH rollover isn't too complicated, especially if you use something like Turbotax.

Doing it as a UK resident is easy too. There are no UK tax consequences as the rollover money is not classed as income and the Tax Treaty makes it UK tax free, but you'd be liable to US tax and would have to file a 1040NR if you are an NRA.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to go against the grain here with 401k, but remember...opinions are like arseholes - everyone has one.

If you see yourself living in the US until retirement then absolutely go ahead and get one. If this is only a 3-5 year thing, then I would I would definitely pass. While the tax savings are there at the end of say 5 years, you'd be left with <60K that you can't touch without the 10% penalty + tax on the amount.

But it is a crapshoot, and you have to go with your gut - I'll give you my example. I saw myself as permanent here (even though on L1 visa) so started with my 401K which vested @ 20% a year and matched at 6% (this mean that my company matched my contributions unto 6% of my salary, with all the money being mine in 5 years of joining). That was an OK offer. Then in order to make themselves more competitive, they announced that all 401K's would vest after 1 year. In June last year, my 401K went from ~50K in usable money to ~100K for my retirement which I have managed to build on with my new company 401K (less generous, but great Stock options)

As I say...it's a crapshoot - but if I was only in the US as a temporary measure I'd measure whether it was worth using verses more traditional stocks/investing.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by deadshoppingmalls
..... If you see yourself living in the US until retirement then absolutely go ahead and get one. If this is only a 3-5 year thing, then I would I would definitely pass. While the tax savings are there at the end of say 5 years, you'd be left with <60K that you can't touch without the 10% penalty + tax on the amount. .....
But that's no different from a pension account in the UK - if you took a job in the UK that you were only expecting to do for a few years would you advise "Nah, don't bother to contribute to a pension account, the money will be locked up until you retire"? There is nothing wrong with having another chunk of pension investments salted away in a 401k even if you return permanently to the UK after a few years.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

But that's no different from a pension account in the UK - if you took a job in the UK that you were only expecting to do for a few years would you advise "Nah, don't bother to contribute to a pension account, the money will be locked up until you retire"? There is nothing wrong with having another chunk of pension investments salted away in a 401k even if you return permanently to the UK after a few years.
True point - I suppose if the OP maxed it out @ 18K a year for 5 years...after 20 years of sitting doing nothing it could technically be worth 340K (assuming 7% return and all things being equal in 20 years) which is not to be sniffed at.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deadshoppingmalls
True point - I suppose if the OP maxed it out @ 18K a year for 5 years...after 20 years of sitting doing nothing it could technically be worth 340K (assuming 7% return and all things being equal in 20 years) which is not to be sniffed at.
Hubby's employer matches at 52c on the dollar. So when we put in the full $18k, we immediately make a little over $9k on it. Add in the tax savings on the 18k at a fairly high marginal rate, and you'd have to be nuts to not be doing this, regardless of it being timelocked. His 401k also has excellent investment choices, including Vanguard index funds with almost no charges on them.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Hubby's employer matches at 52c on the dollar. So when we put in the full $18k, we immediately make a little over $9k on it. Add in the tax savings on the 18k at a fairly high marginal rate, and you'd have to be nuts to not be doing this, regardless of it being timelocked. His 401k also has excellent investment choices, including Vanguard index funds with almost no charges on them.

Sums it up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.