Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

beijingtoboston is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 401k

Sorry for the boring post, but does anyone know if you can transfer your US 401K plan to the UK and if so how to do it and if there are penalties? I am setting up a 401K plan now but don't want to waste my money by investing and then finding that I can't take it back with me when I return to the UK in the future.

Thanks.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 401k

Originally Posted by beijingtoboston
Sorry for the boring post, but does anyone know if you can transfer your US 401K plan to the UK and if so how to do it and if there are penalties? I am setting up a 401K plan now but don't want to waste my money by investing and then finding that I can't take it back with me when I return to the UK in the future.

Thanks.
I've seen people post on here that it's do-able if you get an expert to do it for you.

I've personally made enquiries both ways (tried to transfer 401k to UK in 2000; also tried to transfer UK pension here). Both times I was told the same thing: due to different tax laws in the UK and US, you can't do it.

Now, that's not to say there's not a back door way to do it, e.g., cash it in and transfer the money, but then you lose a lot through taxes, etc.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

For ease,

forget the 401k

open up yourself a Roth IRA.

Advantage - It's already tax paid, and therefore you won't be raped on taxes once you take out the money to the UK.

Disadvantage - Usually a 401k will include some sort of employer contribution and is in essence 'free money' which will not be contributed to any Roth IRA you open.

Just my tu'penneth, there is no right or wrong answer to this I believe.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:22 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
forget the 401k
Agreed. Do the maths, and you'll realise that Uncle Sam only gives a tax break now because he knows he'll be screwing you over for much much more when it comes to taking the money out at retirement.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 11:29 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
Agreed. Do the maths, and you'll realise that Uncle Sam only gives a tax break now because he knows he'll be screwing you over for much much more when it comes to taking the money out at retirement.
indeed, why pay tax on $1,000,000 when you can pay the tax on $100,000.