Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

40 quid airport tax - bugger that

40 quid airport tax - bugger that

Old Dec 7th 2006, 4:00 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default 40 quid airport tax - bugger that

So good old Gordon Brown has found another way of squeezing money out of people. From 1st Feb 2007 Airport Passenger Duty will double. 40 quid tax on an economy transatlantic ticket. Double that if you are lucky enough to get an upgrade or have a business class ticket.

Why did we move here? Add Gordon Brown to my list.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 4:07 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 40 quid airport tax - bugger that

Originally Posted by g1ant
So good old Gordon Brown has found another way of squeezing money out of people. From 1st Feb 2007 Airport Passenger Duty will double. 40 quid tax on an economy transatlantic ticket. Double that if you are lucky enough to get an upgrade or have a business class ticket.

Why did we move here? Add Gordon Brown to my list.
Sh*t!!

It's going to cost us over 2 grand to fly in May as it is.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

GaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by g1ant
Well, to be fair, I'm not sure a £20 increase is going to rock anyone's boat so hard that they actually couldn't afford the flights anymore...

Having worked for people involved in the climate change issue in the UK, I have become convinced that aviation is one of the biggest environmental questions of our time, especially with the rise of Ryanair, EasyJet and what not. I think that the the Chancellor's proposal are a pretty fair compromise when looking at the big picture. I know I won't mind paying.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 4:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GaryK
Well, to be fair, I'm not sure a £20 increase is going to rock anyone's boat so hard that they actually couldn't afford the flights anymore...
But how would it affect all those low cost airlines that bunny around the EU?
Old Dec 7th 2006, 4:45 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the the Chancellor's proposal are a pretty fair compromise when looking at the big picture. I know I won't mind paying.
So he's done it on purely environmental grounds. That's all right then.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 4:59 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Having worked for people involved in the climate change issue in the UK, I have become convinced that aviation is one of the biggest environmental questions of our time, especially with the rise of Ryanair, EasyJet and what not. I think that the the Chancellor's proposal are a pretty fair compromise when looking at the big picture. I know I won't mind paying.
Have you looked at the stats - there is actually nothing to back this up.

100 people fly Ryanair from london to glasgow and you think that does more harm to the environment that the alternative means of transport.
The pollution caused by air trvael is miniscule in the great scheme of things - it has grown a lot recently, but is still a bit part player.

Anyway if Browno did this for 'environmental reasons' why charge first class more ??
Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your comment is contradictory.

If it will not make any difference, people will just pony up, how does it effect the bigger picture?

And of course last week the announced increase in Rail fares were accompanies by comentaries showing how much cheaper it is to fly that use Rail.

All about money.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

If it will not make any difference, people will just pony up, how does it effect the bigger picture?

And of course last week the announced increase in Rail fares were accompanies by comentaries showing how much cheaper it is to fly that use Rail.

All about money.
Ah Yes, the bigger picture , Labour wont put up TAXES Like F*** (1997)Not only that he's just put nearly 6 p on a gallon of fuel. And this was an interim budget ?
Old Dec 7th 2006, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

I know I won't mind paying.
So how much of that 'tax' will be used to directly influence the design of cleaner engines or alternative modes of transport (across the pond for instance). Or am I being cynical by suggesting that it is a crude form of disincentive with no other alternatives being offered, and will end up going straight into the governments coffers?

- Tim
Old Dec 7th 2006, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

All about money.
People in the UK have become 'indoctrinated' on climate change. The fact of the matter is there is still no direct proven link between use of fossil fuels and the predicted temperature rises in this century.

If you are from the UK, you will find what i said shocking. That's because, like i said, you are indoctrinated. "It's all about raising tax revenue without loosing votes, stupid"

Last edited by neill; Dec 7th 2006 at 6:39 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
People in the UK have become 'indoctrinated' on climate change. The fact of the matter is there is still no direct proven link between use of fossil fuels and the predicted temperature rises in this century.

If you are from the UK, you will find what i said shocking. That's because, like i said, you are indoctrinated. "It's all about raising tax revenue without loosing votes, stupid"
So the question I ask myself is, As the UK is such a large and meaningful partner of the EU, why is Brussels not telling all the european airlines the same ?? or is it Britain is going to keep all the clean air we will produce to ourselves??
Old Dec 7th 2006, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
So the question I ask myself is, As the UK is such a large and meaningful partner of the EU, why is Brussels not telling all the european airlines the same ?? or is it Britain is going to keep all the clean air we will produce to ourselves??
how nice
cleaner air over britian, less sick people, so the extra raised revenue wont have to be given to the NHS, infact maybe they could cut a few more services now we are all going to be more healthy
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by englishnurse
how nice
cleaner air over britian, less sick people, so the extra raised revenue wont have to be given to the NHS, infact maybe they could cut a few more services now we are all going to be more healthy
Clever people these politions.realising that the clean air, will stop people going to hospital, so they reduce the number of nurses and pre empt that, by closing the wards they wont be using.Very clever.I could use a set of very rude words but you already know the ones ?? B.o.l.l.o.c.k.s
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:26 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill

Your point is moot - whether or not fossil fuel use can be linked to climate change pumping vast quantities of co2 into the air cannot be a good thing.
It just seems that there are better targets to be going after than airlines - they simply seem to be easy targets.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Moving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a documentary on climate change - it was actually about global cooling which is just as bad as global warming... Very interesting

Anyway... one American researcher in Chicago (if memory serves me well, which I believe it does!) says that he had wanted to do some kind of test but he needed a clear day... and one which he needed didn't come until... 9/11 when there was no aircraft movement. He realised how much of the "cloudy" sky was jet trails / pollution.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.