4 weeks in

Old Jun 17th 2012, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 weeks in

Now been in the US for 4 weeks ( seems way longer ) so posting a report of my experience - and a thanks to all on this board who helped make the process smoother than it might have been

Arrival at Logan airport was simple, taken off to a room, waited around an hour for my turn then given my stamped passport back and good to go

We had our houseplants ( plus certificate with them ), caused a lot of interest for the otherwise bored customs people, they said our paperwork was the best they'd ever seen. Most plants were OK, the cactii were a problem and ended up being sent to a cactus rescue centre.

Spent a week in Mass ( the wifes home state ) seeing family and getting stuff together then drove a UHaul to Michigan via Canada. No probblems with Canadian border wanting to inspect the UHaul

Arrived in Michigan and had a frantic week stopping in an apartment owned by the company getting all the necessary things done before moving into our rental home. Opened an account with a credit union, painless. Saw utility companies, not too much pain.

I had my Social Security number by then which I soon found out to be essential so I was happy I got it so quickly

Got cable and internet from Comcast, seemed to be OK but proved to be a pain, they sent us the wrong box ( no recording facility ) and the internet stopped working the minute the installer drove away from the house

I had a small cash reserve built up before moving so hit the clearance showrooms for furniture and got sofas and a bed. Didnt realise how much matresses were ! Made friends with a local antique dealer and got some quirky bits from him plus a free gift and an invite out to dinner

Spent a day going round car dealers, most were the stereotypical type selling crap but we found one dealer that seemed good and ended up with a 98 Subaru. Insurance was no problem

Green card arrived last week

Shipment from England arrived on Friday, no extra charges at either end and we've only found 1 small breakage so far

Work is going OK - I had been contracting from home from the UK for the 8 months it took my visa - getting used to working with people again and they are now getting used to me being there and are making use of me so I'm busy

Not seen too much of the local area yet, too busy organising and unpacking but starting to get some free time now

So far so good, concentrating on enjoying myself here and not doing any England comparisons

Again, thanks for all the advice and tips from the board, it has been invaluable
Old Jun 17th 2012, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 weeks in

Glad it is going so smoothly. I don't think it possible to be much smoother!!
Old Jun 17th 2012, 3:30 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philk
We had our houseplants ( plus certificate with them ), caused a lot of interest for the otherwise bored customs people, they said our paperwork was the best they'd ever seen. Most plants were OK, the cactii were a problem and ended up being sent to a cactus rescue centre.
Oh no! After all your hard work researching the regs, too . . . . Perhaps cactii are just not allowed into the US?

And what could a cactus rescue centre be? Could they be deported? I hope not destroyed . . . .
Old Jun 17th 2012, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Oh no! After all your hard work researching the regs, too . . . . Perhaps cactii are just not allowed into the US?

And what could a cactus rescue centre be? Could they be deported? I hope not destroyed . . . .
They are trreated special so you have to be able to prove provenace and history which we couldn't do. Supposedly the cactus rescue centre looks after them and doesnt destroy them. Not sure where it is so we cant go visiting....
Old Jun 17th 2012, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WEBlue

That was my thought exactly. I wondered if "cactus rescue center" could be a euphemism for something else. Why would cactus be allowed to be cared for by a rescue center but not by the owner?

Glad everything else has been going smoothly. Sounds like you must have done a good amount of homework and prepping.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 7:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it's all going smoothly!