Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

30days visitor visa rule applies to Canadian?

30days visitor visa rule applies to Canadian?

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

wildxena is on a distinguished road
Default 30days visitor visa rule applies to Canadian?

My friends are coming over from CAN to visit me in the US. Does the new 30 days visitor visa rule applies to Canadian? how many days can they stay at most?
Old Apr 23rd 2002, 6:30 am
Joachim Feise

Default Re: 30days visitor visa rule applies to Canadian?

wildxena wrote:
    > My friends are coming over from CAN to visit me in the US. Does the new 30 days
    > visitor visa rule applies to Canadian? how many days can they stay at most?

Point 1: this is a *proposed* rule. It is *not* in effect yet. Point 2: the proposed
rule, once it is enacted, applies to people with B2 visitor visas. AFAIK, Canadian
citizens do not need a B2 visa to enter the US.

-Joe

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 12:30 pm
Jaj

Would the 30 day maximum apply to other nationalities (British, Australian, NZ etc)
using the visa waiver program?

Jeremy

>On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 20:55:18 -0700, Joachim Feise <[email protected]> wrote:

>wildxena wrote:
    >> My friends are coming over from CAN to visit me in the US. Does the new 30 days
    >> visitor visa rule applies to Canadian? how many days can they stay at most?
    >
    >
    >Point 1: this is a *proposed* rule. It is *not* in effect yet. Point 2: the proposed
    >rule, once it is enacted, applies to people with B2 visitor visas. AFAIK, Canadian
    >citizens do not need a B2 visa to enter the US.
    >
    >-Joe

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 1:00 pm
Stuart Brook

JAJ wrote:
    >
    > Would the 30 day maximum apply to other nationalities (British, Australian, NZ etc)
    > using the visa waiver program?
    >
    > Jeremy

Unknown at this stage ... this is just a proposal ... Consider that the INS will
probably shoot it down themselves when they realize the administrative nightmare it
will create when thousands more extensions of status requests come rolling in! It
takes them 6-12 months to process an I-539 B2 extension request now. I've also
heard the proposal described that you will be admitted by default for 30 days max,
UNLESS YOU REQUEST OTHERWISE, as opposed to 90 days or 6 mos. default now even if
requested shorter.

Stuart

Old Apr 23rd 2002, 7:30 pm
James Donovan

Joachim Feise <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > wildxena wrote:
    > > My friends are coming over from CAN to visit me in the US. Does the new 30 days
    > > visitor visa rule applies to Canadian? how many days can they stay at most?
    >
    >
    > Point 1: this is a *proposed* rule. It is *not* in effect yet. Point 2: the
    > proposed rule, once it is enacted, applies to people with B2 visitor visas. AFAIK,
    > Canadian citizens do not need a B2 visa to enter the US.

So you're saying that this rule applies to those with visas only? Isn't it true
that canadians come to the US with B-2 status, even though they do not have to
have a visa?

Old Apr 24th 2002, 3:30 am
Stuart Gill

Another unintended side-effect will likely be that other countries that give
reciprocal visa conditions to US citizens (i.e. you give our citizens 60 days and
we'll give yours 60 days etc.) will scale back US citizens visa terms in their
country. Probably doesn't matter to Americans too much since only something like
15-20% of them actually have a passport.

Stuart (a different one)

In article <[email protected] >, Stuart Brook
<[email protected] > wrote:

> JAJ wrote:
    > >
    > > Would the 30 day maximum apply to other nationalities (British, Australian, NZ
    > > etc) using the visa waiver program?
    > >
    > > Jeremy
    >
    > Unknown at this stage ... this is just a proposal ... Consider that the INS will
    > probably shoot it down themselves when they realize the administrative nightmare it
    > will create when thousands more extensions of status requests come rolling in! It
    > takes them 6-12 months to process an I-539 B2 extension request now. I've also
    > heard the proposal described that you will be admitted by default for 30 days max,
    > UNLESS YOU REQUEST OTHERWISE, as opposed to 90 days or 6 mos. default now even if
    > requested shorter.
    >
    > Stuart